How to best set up drives?

KirbyTech

So currently I have a 840 evo (256) with 180 GB left on it as it is a boot and programs only drive. Next I have a 1tb, 500 gb, and a 3tb external. I am now adding in a second 500 gb drive and a 128 gb ssd (samsung mz-7pa1280/0l1 which is 250 read and 250 write) I have only 2 sata 3 ports and 4 sata 2 ports. How should I set these up to make the best of them. I would not mind doing say a raid 1 on the 500 gb drives or combine those with the 1tb for some kind of raid.

Pice to SATA?

raid all of then in raid 0

jk don't do that

Yea no but nice try

Pice to SATA?

I can't spend money on PC stuff right now sadly, putting everything towards a start up I am part of.

I can't spend money on PC stuff right now sadly, putting everything towards a start up I am part of.

Just look into it, I don't know how much they cost but it could be very little. Just give all your options a shot

If the hard drives are in Sata 2 it won't matter, as even the ones advertised for sata 3 don't cap the bus. However, place the ssds in the sata 3 ports.

So currently I have a 840 evo (256) with 180 GB left on it as it is a boot and programs only drive. Next I have a 1tb, 500 gb, and a 3tb external. I am now adding in a second 500 gb drive and a 128 gb ssd (samsung mz-7pa1280/0l1 which is 250 read and 250 write) I have only 2 sata 3 ports and 4 sata 2 ports. How should I set these up to make the best of them. I would not mind doing say a raid 1 on the 500 gb drives or combine those with the 1tb for some kind of raid.

Hey KirbyTech,

I wouldn't use different drives in a single RAID array because the chance of a drive dropout and data loss is much higher compared to when using similar/identical drives. I would put the SSDs on the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) ports and leave all the HDDs on the rest of the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) and SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) ports. HDDs can't fully utilize the SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) speed limit so you shouldn't suffer any speed loss. SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) supports speeds up to 375MB/s so even the 128GB SSD should be performing at optimal speeds on it.
I would use each drive separately and IMHO it wouldn't matter much which drive is connected to a SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) port  or to a SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) port. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey KirbyTech,

I wouldn't use different drives in a single RAID array because the chance of a drive dropout and data loss is much higher compared to when using similar/identical drives. I would put the SSDs on the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) ports and leave all the HDDs on the rest of the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) and SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) ports. HDDs can't fully utilize the SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) speed limit so you shouldn't suffer any speed loss. SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) supports speeds up to 375MB/s so even the 128GB SSD should be performing at optimal speeds on it.
I would use each drive separately and IMHO it wouldn't matter much which drive is connected to a SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) port  or to a SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) port. :)

Captain_WD.

I will be putting the 500 GB drives in RAID 1 for now, both are WD blacks but one is enterprise so not a big difference. As for the rest they will just be in my system and I'll see where I go next either all to server and only a cache ssd and boot ssd or keep one hard drive in.

I will be putting the 500 GB drives in RAID 1 for now, both are WD blacks but one is enterprise so not a big difference. As for the rest they will just be in my system and I'll see where I go next either all to server and only a cache ssd and boot ssd or keep one hard drive in.

This sounds about right. :) I would take caution if combining two non-RAID drives in RAID one, especially if they are different drives. Could you please specify the models of the two WD Black drives? RAID makes all drives in an array to perform at the speed of the slowest one and limits the capacity of all drives to the one with the smallest one.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

This sounds about right. :) I would take caution if combining two non-RAID drives in RAID one, especially if they are different drives. Could you please specify the models of the two WD Black drives? RAID makes all drives in an array to perform at the speed of the slowest one and limits the capacity of all drives to the one with the smallest one.

Captain_WD.

The model number on the non enterprise drive is WD5003AZEX and the enterprise is WD5003ABYX, I think they should be fine.

The model number on the non enterprise drive is WD5003AZEX and the enterprise is WD5003ABYX, I think they should be fine.

Well, one of the drives is WD Black, the other one is WD RE4 and is a bit different. The WD Black drive has higher transfer speeds that will be limited to the lower ones of the WD RE4 drive. Also the WD Black drive is a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) drive while WD RE4 is a SATA 2 (3Gb/s). The WD RE4 has more load/unload cycles guaranteed. Here are the spec sheets of both drives for more info:

Although pretty close, they are not identical and they are not NAS/RAID class drives an this may cause problems sometime in the future. Do have that in mind and have a backup. :)

Captain_WD.

Well, one of the drives is WD Black, the other one is WD RE4 and is a bit different. The WD Black drive has higher transfer speeds that will be limited to the lower ones of the WD RE4 drive. Also the WD Black drive is a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) drive while WD RE4 is a SATA 2 (3Gb/s). The WD RE4 has more load/unload cycles guaranteed. Here are the spec sheets of both drives for more info:

Although pretty close, they are not identical and they are not NAS/RAID class drives an this may cause problems sometime in the future. Do have that in mind and have a backup. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks and I thought they were blacks because of the labels, both said black so I just went with it. I will be keeping a backup the drive will be a working (read daily) solution with backups.