Apple now rejecting apps that mention other platforms

r3bify

wait, what does this mean for all of Microsoft's apps? Xbox Smartglass, MSN, Bing? And what about the Office apps integration with OneDrive? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

EVGA did this to HARDOCP when they spoke negatively of their power supplies, are you stunned that companies don't like being told that their products are bad?

Stunned? no, just disappointed. Any mature company would apologize and make an effort to make a better product, rather than be pissy and whiny and lie to the customer.

But sadly, in this "economy" where competition is so small, they can get away with shit like that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No they don't. Here's a quote of the description of Office on the App store, it's prefectly fine : 

it mentions PC how dare they. they can only mention macs

it mentions PC how dare they. they can only mention macs

But but Macs are PCs and context is something I've never heard of.

/jk

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well yeah, the rules is "any other mobile platform"... PC ain't. With Windows 10 it can become more ambiguous but that's for another thread. 

As far as I can tell, this will only effect apps that are in both platforms.  So like Whatsapp can't say..."The premier messaging client blah blah blah blah, and we are also on Android so you can talk to your Android friends without texting now"

Sure it's a bit...shitty, and I don't really see a reason for it other than it potentially raising switching opportunity costs to people who don't know any better.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

And people wonder why apple gets so much hate....

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Surely this calls for some sort of anti-monopoly / trust ruling.. They are forcing people that use one of their products to stick with their environment in effect.

there not a monopoly......i dont think they are the leaders in phones and they are definatly not leaders in computers

So does that mean that the official Pebble app is no longer valid on Apple Store?

Essentially meaning Pebble is no longer compatible with iOS.

That is the basis of an anti-trust lawsuit.

thats up to apple and not unreasonable at all. they are in the smart watch market and want to protect there sales there. 

So if I have an app which says "Available for IOS and Android" it will get rejected from the Apple store?

Good job Apple!

This is so fucking dumb.Seriously? Removing the Pebble app which allows iPhones to communicate with a Pebble?Or did I misread?

Jeez.

So ridiculous.

why should apple allow you to advertise the andriod platform in the ios store? seriously do you see walmart advertising costco in there stores?

Completely different. G-Sync monitors are alongside feature parity monitors. G-Sync is a Nvidia feature.

It'd be more like if Apple added new functionality to iTunes and stopped Pebble supporting iTunes music control.

You can use a G-sync monitor on AMD card.. you just lose the G-sync features... Totally different situation.

it is kinda like gsync as gsync is only available for nvidia products. there isnt much point buying a gsync monitor if you have a amd card

Now I'm no fan of Google, but I'm pretty sure Apple sells phones in Europe, why doesn't the European Union takes a look into this as well?

because apple do not have a big enough market share for it to be anti trust

you guys.....oh you guys. google starts prioritizing there products in searches and you are all like "its googles search engine, they can do what the want" apple wants to stop people referencing the competition in there own store and out come the pitch forks......double standard

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

antithrust? oh wait, it's Apple they could cut your wife into pieces and force-feed her to you and get a seal of approval.

because apple do not have a big enough market share for it to be anti trust

you guys.....oh you guys. google starts prioritizing there products in searches and you are all like "its googles search engine, they can do what the want" apple wants to stop people referencing the competition in there own store and out come the pitch forks......double standard

Apple have a huge market share, not that thats the point.. The point is that they are going farther than google did.. So if you search for maps online, google maps comes up first.. That I can understand.. This is more like if google didn't present you with ANY other option.

It would be different if apple devices didn't have the ability to connect to non-apple devices (already way too hard in some things) but they do.. You can use a pebble with an iphone, some applications it's useful to know that it works with users of a different platform, apple has just removed these companies to reference them in any way..

Note on the pebble, (it's the best example) they can still have an app on the istore.. it will still work on IOS BUT their app and description cannot reference the fact that it's a different platform in any way.. Thats just crazy.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Apple have a huge market share, not that thats the point.. The point is that they are going farther than google did.. So if you search for maps online, google maps comes up first.. That I can understand.. This is more like if google didn't present you with ANY other option.

It would be different if apple devices didn't have the ability to connect to non-apple devices (already way too hard in some things) but they do.. You can use a pebble with an iphone, some applications it's useful to know that it works with users of a different platform, apple has just removed these companies to reference them in any way..

Note on the pebble, (it's the best example) they can still have an app on the istore.. it will still work on IOS BUT their app and description cannot reference the fact that it's a different platform in any way.. Thats just crazy.

ha apple has a huge market share!  in mobile hardware they have a 20% share and in mobile os they have 20% again vs googles 75%.  they have no where near the market share need for this to be considered anti trust. googles search has 60%+  market share hence the antitrust law suit. its apples market and if they want to push other manufactures out then they can.  deal with it 

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Isn't that anti-competitive or something. Wasn't someone on Google's ass for being allegedly anti-competitive. So um, who's gonna sort apple out >.>?

ha apple has a huge market share!  in mobile hardware they have a 20% share and in mobile os they have 20% again vs googles 75%.  they have no where near the market share need for this to be considered anti trust. googles search has 60%+  market share hence the antitrust law suit. its apples market and if they want to push other manufactures out then they can.  deal with it 

Look at devices.. iphone vs galaxy (or even samsung) vs HTC vs Nokia.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I don't get it... why would I care if an app was also Android? If I wanted to download it on Android I wouldn't use an iPhone to see if it was available on the Play Store

Reason #793 that I will never buy another apple product.

Another???????

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Maybe it's just that there's been some abuse or apps that made it confusing for average mom if the app was for Android, which she probably don't even know what it is...

It's definetly a little too drastic though, even for me, the rationnal Apple fan. It's gonna make apps that selling points are crossplatform so much harder to explain. Can't wait to see own companies are gonna run around this, it's gonna be beautiful :)

Look at devices.. iphone vs galaxy (or even samsung) vs HTC vs Nokia.

like i said apples share is 20% that means 80% of people have something other than a apple phone

That's Steve's level of hatred towards competition, primarily Android. His legacy is clearly at work here, eradicating mere mention of other platforms goes beyond a business move.

One has to admire the mass appeal they generate. Apple is so profitable, it could now intentionally try to ruin itself and it would still remain profitable for another 5 years and then there are the cash reserves to last at least a decade. All the more reason not to pull moves like this. Yet they do.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?