Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

RIP Steam Workshop.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

REMEMBER KIDS, IT'S OKAY WHEN VALVE DOES IT

This is fucking cancer. Seriously. Expect Early Access Mods from BASED GLORIOUS STEAM!

Remember, GabeN says open wide and the fanboys say "Yes Senpai, whatever you say" 

We still have things like Nexus mods.

At least for the moment.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I just looked. There's already Skyrim gear up and ready to be bought.

srdsvu.jpg

Just wow. People are defending this, too.

I gave up on skyrim a while ago, I just got bored of it, however I probably spent more time modding than actually playing it. I just felt that the combat is sub par and the quests just become really samey after a while. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

To be honest I am more in favor of a donation system instead of paying for the mods. Payment is purely optional, but mod developers can still get paid for their work.

This is a awesome step for mod quality. This will attract professional artists to make awesome things that hobbyists cant reach. I like this

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I gave up on skyrim a while ago, I just got bored of it, however I probably spent more time modding than actually playing it. I just felt that the combat is sub par and the quests just become really samey after a while. 

True but for me mods help a lot. And not just installing them and this could potentially either slow things down, or speed things up: Teams working on massive projects like Skywind could be a lot more motivated if they could expect a paycheck for it, even if it's only 25% of it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

To be honest I am more in favor of a donation system instead of paying for the mods. Payment is purely optional, but mod developers can still get paid for their work.

AFAIK it can be optional: there is a pay what you want option and the modder could select as little as he wants (not sure if even 0) for you to purchase or just include slightly different separate versions like "Free" and "Pay what you want version to support" alongside. In fact someone already did that:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428651577

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7673

-------

Current Rig

-------

True but for me mods help a lot. And not just installing them and this could potentially either slow things down, or speed things up: Teams working on massive projects like Skywind could be a lot more motivated if they could expect a paycheck for it, even if it's only 25% of it.

Is skywind going to be a separate mod just using skyrims engine? Or in other words will you have to have skyrim installed to play it once it's done.  

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

This is a awesome step for mod quality. This will attract professional artists to make awesome things that hobbyists cant reach. I like this

Yea, cause the mods up until now haven't been professional at all........

LOL

Is skywind going to be a separate mod just using skyrims engine? Or in other words will you have to have skyrim installed to play it once it's done.  

Not sure actually but I think it's a total conversion and henceforth standalone, but I'm not sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am very torn against this. One one side I can understand the benefits for doing this, better quality mods, more complete mods and maybe more mods. But on the other hand I see people taking advantage of this in a bad way, charging money for a mod that isn't compatible with another you payed for is one example but people taking credit for other modders work is another. Also Steam is taking way too much. And also the quality argument is null and void because there are plenty of mods that are higher quality then the original game. I can only see this going in a really bad way where people make crappy mods or steal other peoples mods to sell for stupid money. 

I hope Valve gets rid of this pronto even if it makes them a lot of money. It will probably also harm the life span of Skyrim and the next Fallout 4 which to be honest will ruin the entire point of Skyrim and Fallout which is to spend a bunch of time modding and sharing stuff with each other. Also if you know anything about the modding community you will understand that modding thrives on sharing info and files with each other so you can fix mods that are not compatible with each other. I suppose you can just pirate all the mods.

A patrion type system would have been a much better system. That would have had no backlash and would have been more fair for everyone. Also Valve should be taking a 10% cut at the most.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

TotalBiscuit talked about it in today's Content Patch.

For those of you who don't want to watch it, he does believe that modders should be paid for their work, but he doesn't believe that it's a good idea with the way how it's currently implemented. He also discusses the history of monetizing modding, and says that people didn't make their mods free out of goodness, but because they had to without running into legal issues. He does call Valve's 75% cut "greed", though.

Not sure actually but I think it's a total conversion and henceforth standalone, but I'm not sure.

It was just a google search away, what you need: 

"TES III: Morrowind, including the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions installed correctly on your system.

TES V: Skyrim + Dragonborn expansion" 

Isn't this illegal? The reason mods haven't been behind paywalls before was because it's illegal to make money by selling content for someone elses game.

Isn't this illegal? The reason mods haven't been behind paywalls before was because it's illegal to make money by selling content for someone elses game.

Bethesda gave their blessing. If you take content or intellectual property from another company then it is illegal and Valve will just take it down after a DMCA notice which has a potential to be abused greatly just like in youtube-land.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bethesda gave their blessing. If you take content or intellectual property from another company then it is illegal and Valve will just take it down after a DMCA notice which has a potential to be abused greatly just like in youtube-land.

So this is reliant on game devs giving permission. Ok.

LOL

LOL

They are fine, but I've it's your fulltime job to make mods the quality will be on base game level standard.

For example arms 3, you can get multiple mods for weapon X, and everyone will have a different look that doesn't match the base game. Well, its free, so its just the way it is. But I've its paid, they have to make sure everything is up to quality to sell.

And this will atract a whole new professional croud that didn't care or have the time to do so.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

This is really good news and I hope they do more things like this such as with written guides. As someone who has created content freely before, I know for a fact that I would have put a lot more work into it, had that work done sooner and done more of it if I knew I was getting paid.

Some people will be mad that something that used to be free now costs money, but this is really for the better. Being paid has done a lot for other things that people never used to get paid for such as making videos on Youtube or streaming on Twitch. Hell, Linus would still be working at NCIX if he couldn't monetize his videos.

Unless half the mods are paying a healthy sum to the teams behind SkyUI, ENB, Unofficial skyrim patch, FNIS and any other framework/fix/major mod for using their resources, then this could be a bad idea.  I've a hard time seeing this as anything more then Valve trotting on over to a trough, burying their snout in and leaving $#!7 behind.

Decided to launch Skyrim via the launcher to see if I still get Workshop errors with my Workshop mods. Instead, most of them were disabled because I'm apparently no longer subscribed to them. Had to re-enable them to use them.

Well, at least I didn't get another "Steam Error 15" error, but I had to manually re-enable them. #Firstworldproblems.

Then pirate the mod.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650