Valve Giving Content creators the option to sell mods.

werto165

As far as I know this initiative was just introduced today. 

"Buying From The Steam WorkshopIf you've been using the Steam Workshop, you already know how much incredible content is available for many of your favorite games. By paying for mods and supporting the people that made them, you enable those artists and creators to continue working on their mods and inspire new modders to try their hand in creating new, higher quality items and experiences." 

"Calling all Creators Whether you're just getting started or are already a professional artist or developer, now you can make money from your creations in the Steam Workshop.

Starting with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you can make new cosmetic items, sound packs, custom skins, fancy houses, epic quests, entire new cities, or just a new hat for Lydia. Once you've made your creation, you can easily set a price and earn a portion of each sale made through the Steam Workshop.

Plus, many more of your favorite Workshop games will support paid content in the coming weeks." 

"It's still important to spend a little time learning about any product you are about to purchase. But, if after purchase you find that a mod is broken or doesn’t work as promised, you can easily get a refund of that mod within 24 hours of your purchase. View the full refund policy here."

Personally I think this is an okay move, it at least gives people an incentive to put their mods on the steam workshop. As far as I am aware most people who do mods just do it as a hobby, getting paid for it is good for them. However, I don't really see too many people buying mods, unless they are really really high quality and add a lot of content. If you don't like the mod you can always get a refund, within 24 hrs on purchase. It's just starting with ES:V but more games will use this system that support steam workshop. How do you feel about this? Will you buy mods? Personally I probably wont. 

I've changed my mind, valve, what the hell are you doing? "The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments."  75% cut that's just outrageous. 

bloody  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Lel,  the guy was a second faster than you, but your post is more in depth :P

I did not see any paid mods in the Skyrim workshop yet (using Steam) can anyone say if they did?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah... I'm sticking with Nexus...

Same ^^

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

...Haven't people done this before?

I wouldn't know, because they failed immediately and were forgotten about

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It's optional and gives content creators some money for their hard work. Stop crying.

Yes but more people are likely going to charge for what's honestly sub-par content and it puts people off from modding.

Always trying to find reason.

It's optional and gives content creators some money for their hard work. Stop crying.

It isn't optional, you either buy the mod or you don't use it, just look at the Steam Workshop for 5 seconds and you'll see for yourself.

Guess I'll be pirating mods now, Valve just straight up went into full EA/Ubisoft mode.

*Edit, there are a FEW people who have a "free" version as well as the paid, but the free version does lack in features in some of them.

*Edit 2, and there's the whole other thing about what kind of obligation do the modders have? What happens if the mod becomes outdated because of a game update or an incompatibility with another mod? Are we SOL? Refunds are only allowed within a 24 hour period, so if the mod breaks after 24 hours I won't be able to get a refund?

Also what will happen if Nexus modders start taking their mods down from the Nexus and put them up on Steam behind a paywall? This is seriously setting us down a very dangerous path. This needs to be removed completely. Just add a donation button or something.

*Final Edit, if you're a modder I would highly suggest NOT using this system. You're only receiving 25% of the total revenue, you should setup a donation page and get 100% of the revenue. I'd much rather donate $5 to a modder than pay $5 on Steam where the modder only gets $1.25 of that, before tax mind you.

Use your head, don't use this system, at least not until Valve pulls their head out of their mounds of cash and fixes this BS system.

The thing is, if there is money involved it means that the stuff you buy needs to have quality.

Either you just add the option to donate, or you are just ruining the workshop. Too many people will simply throw together some shit, make the mod page look nice, and the profit from fooling people into buying their mod.

There isn't really any way to stop people from simply copying mods either.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Average downloads a day of a popular mod before it starts charging: 2,500

Average downloads a day of a popular mod after it starts charging: 1

I'll continue to use the Nexus, tyvm.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I did not see any paid mods in the Skyrim workshop yet (using Steam) can anyone say if they did?

Right here http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems&requiredflags%5B%5D=paiditems

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

Inb4 Skyrim's CBBE mod becomes paid.Nah...no way.

For those of you who don't know...you haven't spent that much time modding Skyrim :D .

Back on topic, I have never used the Steam workshop for Skyrim mods so...Nexus 4 life!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Inb4 Skyrim's CBBE mod becomes paid.

For those of you who don't know...you haven't spent that much time modding Skyrim :D .

Back on topic, I have never used the Steam workshop for Skyrim mods so...Nexus 4 life!

inb4 the Nexus gets another surge in popularity.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Just when you think Valve couldn't top the terrible idea of Greenlight they do this.

Can you make a mod more expensive than the game itself?

xD

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wow lol why not have a donate option rather than a buy to own the mod -___-

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Yeah... I'm sticking with Nexus...

They're way too ban happy. Several high profile and very nice mods just fucking disappeared cause of either poorly sustained copyright claims or just flatout fucking moderator drama.

Not to mention, I see some high profile mods on the paid section already like Wet and Cold, midas magic and iNeed: Who's to say those guys wont voluntarily remove them from the nexus to get people to buy em from now on?

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is good. Content creators need to be rewarded with real money for how much value they add, at least for those of them who are interested in doing so after spending their valuable time. People who want to give it away for free can continue to do so. Also this is an incentive for devs to make their games moddable with right tools since they can get a share of money too.

This is good. Content creators need to be rewarded with real money for how much value they add, at least for those of them who are interested in doing so after spending their valuable time. People who want to give it away for free can continue to do so. Also this is an incentive for devs to make their games moddable with right tools since they can get a share of money too.

I highly doubt people are going to start buying mods en masse. Especially a bunch of mods that are lackluster.

They're way too ban happy. Several high profile and very nice mods just fucking disappeared cause of either poorly sustained copyright claims or just flatout fucking moderator drama.

Not to mention, I see some high profile mods on the paid section already like Wet and Cold, midas magic and iNeed: Who's to say those guys wont voluntarily remove them from the nexus to get people to buy em from now on?

Then I can just distribute it at request because I still have the files in my data folder.

until the mod you posted for free gets reuploaded by someone else with an added required payment. and there are soooooo many better ways to do this than adding the ability to have a "buy" button on mods. also this just means no one uses Steam Workshop anymore and instead uses moddb.com or one of the nexus.com's for mods.

Then I can just distribute it at request because I still have the files in my data folder.

Not that easy: some lists or searches might lead you to a 404 on Nexus and nothing else if the mod wasn't too popular.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not that easy: some lists or searches might lead you to a 404 on Nexus and nothing else if the mod wasn't too popular.

.....You don't know how file sharing works, do you?

Not giving a Nexus link, giving the actual files from one person to another.

.....You don't know how file sharing works, do you?

Not giving a Nexus link, giving the actual files from one person to another.

So the mods gets exposed to all of 2 people. Places like the Nexus give you tons of exposure and more people get to know your mod. If the modding community was about you sending files to your friends or people you know on boards it would have died long ago, that idea as a workaround for popular mods being removed from Nexus is laughable.

-------

Current Rig

-------