A text based strategy game with computers

MantasFX

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a one project for quite some time now, and I would like to ask your opinion about this. I have been working on a quite unique game, and I'm not sure if people would be interested in it.

This is a text based web game, that is quite unique IMO, I haven't seen anything likes this so, I would say that is a quite 'new' game concept and could be hard to understand as well.

The games main focus is computers. Gameplay consists of (as of now) buying parts for a computer, putting those parts together into a what is called 'machine', then tweaking it, overclocking it. And finally executing a task with it called coin mining, which essentialy will add coins to your wallet with the speed based of your computers' power.

Computer customization is quite detailed. You can choose CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply, Coolers, Fans, HDDs. Every component has different properties like HDD space, PSU wattage etc. Even the same model components could have different properties, such as quality and might degrade slower or faster, overclock better or worse than others. Component power consumption is calculated as well. Also thermal simulation is in, and different cases, heatsinks, thermal pastes have different thermal resistances. Component temperature depends on sum of these resistances and its generated power.

Tasks are made in such a way, so that component speeds should be relativly similar in terms of performance in order to prevent bottlenecks (where one part/worker could slow down whole execution).

This is one of those games that you don't require spending a lot of your time. You just need to think a strategy, buy things you need (in game), set it up, tweak it and leave it, while coming back from time to time to check if everything is working correctly.

Game would be free to play, obviously.

Currently the game is in a very early stage and a lot of things are missing and everything is subject change.

A finished game would have:

• Power Sources: players will able to buy things like solar panels, wind generators, maybe reactors for power production, and they will able to sell that produced power to other players.

• Manufacturing: players will able to manufacture components, of course they will need to buy expensive tools to do that. For example if you want to manufacture CPUs, you will need to create a new architecture and invest research into it, you will able to improve it as much as you put resources into it.

• User banks, shops, computer storing rooms: One of the main game development goals it to make that taxes (bank transaction taxes, power bills, taxes for storing your machines and etc) would go to other players, that deliver these services. So that admin doesn't have to create/spawn items, sell power, etc. This would make the game have its own economy system, where everything comes from the players, and nothing is spawned in by the admin.

• More tasks (currently there's only coin mining task) that will produce different outputs when executed. Those output file could be used in manufacturing to upgrade architectures. So part manufacturers would be buying these files from players.

I might post some screenshots if any of you are interested.

If this game turns out to be worthless, it fine, I have nothing to lose, I've learnt so much about programming, web development, source control while doing this, it was a very fun learning experience. :)

If you have any questions, please ask.

So would you like to see/play something like this or would you not? Please leave your opinion about this. Thank you for your time.  :) 

EDIT: Screenshots available on twitter. Warning: WIP front-end @workloadgame

So an idle text-based game?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Interesting idea, although the computer-focused design may be limiting your options

Look up game dev simulator, and text-based games as a whole.

What you're making is a resource management game, which has some level of connection to games like sim city or roller-coaster tycoon, look up that genre to help with concepts.

Btw, is it console output?

I'd love to see where this goes, and text based programming is the best way to learn early in programming.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Btw, is it console output?

It has web UI with graphics like buttons, textfields, icons, so its not just text output, however there is no graphical representation for your result.

You can check my twitter page for some screenshots.

@workloadgame

So an idle text-based game?

Idle - yes, you login, check statistics, check shop, maybe get some good deals, change computer parts if needed and logout. Game timer runs 24/7, so you don't have to be sitting in the game or anything like that.

So it is like "late game" coockie clicker?

I really hope to come out with something much more elaborate that that. With more detail, depth, player-to-player interaction (trading etc).