AMD Greenland GPU 2016 to feature 14nm node

CoolaxGaming

I cant help to think that all of this is pointless, because i will only play on a working GSYNC when i upgrade anything.

I really like AMD, so i will probably use one of their Athlon CPU`s with the gpu cut out.

They hit a frequency wall with K10 and couldn't squeeze anything else out of it. Although they should of went back to the drawing board with it and worked around that problem. A Phenom III on 28nm that can hit 5.0 GHz like the current Bulldozer revisions wouldn't of been so bad. Although it's hard to say how a chip will perform (or even work at all) until it hits the fab. One of AMD's biggest downfalls is they think they can always make a better architecture. They've been kind of sticking to Intel's tick/tock cycle with Bulldozer mainly because they have no choice without the funds to throw around for R&D except for K12/Zen. If Kellers team delivers I think they will stick to that architecture for a while (as they should).

28nm is not a process node suited for high clocks, so that wouldn't have been feasible.

28nm is not a process node suited for high clocks, so that wouldn't have been feasible.

Sure it would, we've got the 860k punching them clocks right now. The only problem would be getting K10 past it's frequency barrier.

Why would Samsung want to lose such a big client like Nvidia? Yeah, I know about lawsuits , but they don't really matter when there is that much money on the table.

Anyway ,I stopped believing that gpu will see new manufacturing process. We'll be on 28 nm forever.

Because of several lawsuits between those two... and AMD is bigger partner, who will potentially use that process  not only for GPUs but also for CPUs and APUs.

Sure it would, we've got the 860k punching them clocks right now. The only problem would be getting K10 past it's frequency barrier.

It has lower stock clocks than the 760K and doesn't overclock as well.

As Anandtech puts it:

Here we see the 32nm SOI to bulk 28nm SHP shift manifesting itself in terms of max attainable frequency. Whereas the A10-6800K ran at 4.1/4.4GHz, the A10-7850K drops down to 3.7/4.0GHz (base/max turbo). TDP falls a bit as well, but it's very clear that anyone looking for the high end of AMD's CPU offerings to increase in performance won't find it with Kaveri.

(7850K is 860K + iGPU, 6800K is 760K + iGPU and a bit higher clocks; the 760K still runs higher clocks than the 860K)

They hit a frequency wall with K10 and couldn't squeeze anything else out of it. Although they should of went back to the drawing board with it and worked around that problem. A Phenom III on 28nm that can hit 5.0 GHz like the current Bulldozer revisions wouldn't of been so bad. Although it's hard to say how a chip will perform (or even work at all) until it hits the fab. One of AMD's biggest downfalls is they think they can always make a better architecture. They've been kind of sticking to Intel's tick/tock cycle with Bulldozer mainly because they have no choice without the funds to throw around for R&D except for K12/Zen. If Kellers team delivers I think they will stick to that architecture for a while (as they should).

There is only so much, that you can do with a certain architecture. They have done the right thing, but they also made some critical mistakes with the Bulldozer architecture (L3 cache, the amount of transistors per core, FPU, etc... they could squeeze allot of IPC out of that architecture, but they did not). But I'm certain, that Zen will take us back to the good old Phenom II days, because of the lead designer Jim Keller, he knows his stuff :D :D

Interesting that the GPUs named after the largest island in the world is just a shrink.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Because of several lawsuits between those two... and AMD is bigger partner, who will potentially use that process  not only for GPUs but also for CPUs and APUs.

Nvidia is suing Samsung MOBILE, not Samsung MANUFACTURING. Two separate companies entirely. 

Hmm nothing new or surprising though. 2016 will really be AMDs year I guess, smaller node for GPU and CPU also different architecture from ground up. I really hope hardware prices will be much better within a year or two.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Nvidia is suing Samsung MOBILE, not Samsung MANUFACTURING. Two separate companies entirely. 

They are two divisions of the same company... I really don't think, that they would do business with nvidia, after the lawsuit, and they might be more coming.

P.S.: We are now talking about the future generation of amd GPUs, but they are being designed, the R9 3XX series has been ready for months, but due to a high amount of "last gen" cars, they weren't released (it's better to sell the old stuff, then to trow it to the bin). And this fact made me thinking... what if the R9 380/380x and the lower end cards aren't re-branded, but they are based on the same core, but on the GCN 1.3. architecture with performance and power consumption  improvements ?

They are two divisions of the same company... I really don't think, that they would do business with nvidia, after the lawsuit, and they might be more coming.

P.S.: We are now talking about the future generation of amd GPUs, but they are being designed, the R9 3XX series has been ready for months, but due to a high amount of "last gen" cars, they weren't released (it's better to sell the old stuff, then to trow it to the bin). And this fact made me thinking... what if the R9 380/380x and the lower end cards aren't re-branded, but they are based on the same core, but on the GCN 1.3. architecture with performance and power consumption  improvements ?

Samsung the overlords treat each division like a separate company. They don't care what each division does, nor do they stop competition. Samsung Manufacturing does not care. 

At this point I am not even sure that there will be an AMD in 2016 doing the same thing that AMD does today.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

At this point I am not even sure that there will be an AMD in 2016 doing the same thing that AMD does today.

That's because you buy into all the FUD, that people spout, not knowing a damn thing about companies, or micro economy. AMD has their challenges, but that is all. Their APU business is doing well, and will improve next year with ZEN. The new APU's out now, are pretty good in laptops as well. AMD's GPU business is also doing well. It is no surprise, that they lose some market share, when their last high end model is 1½ years old, but a new one is coming. Also remember that AMD sits on 100% of the tv console market.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That's because you buy into all the FUD, that people spout, not knowing a damn thing about companies, or micro economy. AMD has their challenges, but that is all. Their APU business is doing well, and will improve next year with ZEN. The new APU's out now, are pretty good in laptops as well. AMD's GPU business is also doing well. It is no surprise, that they lose some market share, when their last high end model is 1½ years old, but a new one is coming. Also remember that AMD sits on 100% of the tv console market.

Sadly, that doesn't mean much. If they were to actually profit off those GPU's with a regular margin like NVidia then they would all be 15% more expensive than they currently are. Apu's are really good especially for budget machines, but companies don't recognize this, and the population only buys dells so there are large problems with that. They may have the console market but they are literally only making 10 dollars on those chips in all reality - which isn't much at all. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Damn, i read it wrong ! Thought this was about their CPUs heh. That would be great but meh, GPUs. Im still staying with Nvidia.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

28nm to 14nm is a massive jump

This may save AMD

Speculations may be the only thing keeping them alive, cranking the hype so hopefully they'll make money

28nm to 14nm is a massive jump

This may save AMD

While it is a large jump just remember that they will be years before they shrink again. So Intel will be pushing further ahead unless AMD does amazing with 14nm and has a budget for R&D.

1. NV are suing Samsung Mobile not Systems Integrated LSI, so there is no conflict there
  2. Samsung will not just say no to a customer as big as NV, who also do not pose any market threat to them
  3. NV has a much bigger shipping volume just for their GPUs then AMD has for their entire lineup.
  4. IF Samsung were to deny NV the process, intel is always happy to help, especially since by that time, they will have retrofitted their existing 32nm fabs for 14nm, and move the rest of their 32nm products to 22nm Trigate, so plenty of fab space, as well as a mature process

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

It has lower stock clocks than the 760K and doesn't overclock as well.

As Anandtech puts it:

(7850K is 860K + iGPU, 6800K is 760K + iGPU and a bit higher clocks; the 760K still runs higher clocks than the 860K)

While true that Richland seems to be an overclocking monster (I can take my 6800k up to 5.0 GHz on water) the 860k shines just as much. The node may not be as suited for high frequencies although we can still clock the hell out of them. Richland can sustain a 17% higher clock meanwhile Kaveri can sustain a 29% higher clock. I think that's what I was trying to get at is a redesigned Stars core that can sustain such an overclock with architecture improvements would of had a better run. Although with it hitting a frequency barrier due to architecture limitations AMD had no choice but to dump the architecture and make a new one. They wanted a high frequency architecture to compete with Intel as Intel chips became overclocking monsters with Sandy Bridge (the 2500k was quite the hot commodity because of its headroom). At minimal it would be nice to at least see Bdver4 based FX chips pushed to the market even if the AM3+ platform is outdated. Although we know that's not going to happen as AMD has inventory to sell.

While it is a large jump just remember that they will be years before they shrink again. So Intel will be pushing further ahead unless AMD does amazing with 14nm and has a budget for R&D.

Apparently Intel pushed back 10nm so it might not be until 2H 2017 before we even see Cannonlake.

Sadly, that doesn't mean much. If they were to actually profit off those GPU's with a regular margin like NVidia then they would all be 15% more expensive than they currently are. Apu's are really good especially for budget machines, but companies don't recognize this, and the population only buys dells so there are large problems with that. They may have the console market but they are literally only making 10 dollars on those chips in all reality - which isn't much at all. 

Even if it's only $10 per Console, lets look at the numbers:

PS4: 21.10 Million

XBO: 12.02 Million

WiiU: 9.42 Million

Total: 42.54 Million units sold

x$10 each: $425.4 Million USD. Not a bad chunk of change.

AND I don't even know if these figures are even current. They may very well be out of date all ready.

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Even if it's only $10 per Console, lets look at the numbers:

PS4: 21.10 Million

XBO: 12.02 Million

WiiU: 9.42 Million

Total: 42.54 Million units sold

x$10 each: $425.4 Million USD. Not a bad chunk of change.

AND I don't even know if these figures are even current. They may very well be out of date all ready.

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Apparently AMD is filling inventory right now for the next batch of consoles for the holiday season. So more money will be shot AMD's way before we know it from APUs.

Well, we can clearly say, that nvidia will not have the access to the 14nm manufacturing process, due to their relationship with SAMSUNG (they will use the 16nm process from TSMC). In my personal opinion, amd will ad some GCN-cores to the FIJI-XT GPU and improve the architecture a little bit, therefore, I estimate that, there will be a something like a 20% performance improvement over the original FIJI GPU.

Just because one company is suing another doesnt mean they will stop doing multi billion dollar buisness. Samsung supplied Apple when they were in their big legal battle i see no reason they wouldnt supply NVIDIA

5c45235ddb4e5fa4c8ddd9ff939bb0ab_XL.jpg

Seems like AMD wants to catch up on the performance per watt market. According to kitguru, the core on the Greenland gpu will be a Fiji XT with memory and node improvements.

A jump from 28nm to 14nm will be really nice indeed. The node being used will be Samsung node.

But why not go to 20nm this year? Well seems like AMD decided to skip it because the yields were too low.

Source -

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/37584-amd-greenland-2016-is-a-14nm-gpu

Greenland as reported by Fudzilla is an entirely new GPU and not a die shrink of Fiji. It will succeed Fiji as the new flagship GPU in 2016. Please edit your post accordingly as it contains false information as it is.

Greenland is the successor of Fiji

Advanced Micro Devices is working on a new graphics processing unit code-named “Greenland”, which will be released next year. The new graphics chip will replace code-named “Fiji” GPU and will be AMD’s flagship graphics solution in 2016.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-readies-greenland-graphics-processor/

It wouldn't remotely surprise me if both companies did a tick-rock to smooth over yield problems and risks associated with a new node. You'd think after years of Intel and IBM doing that others would take a hint. It would be better for AMD's bottom line and better for consumers, as you will get more performance as more resources can be fit into the same die area.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Greenland as reported by Fudzilla is an entirely new GPU and not a die shrink of Fiji. It will succeed Fiji as the new flagship GPU in 2016. Please edit your post accordingly as it contains false information as it is.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-readies-greenland-graphics-processor/

I don't think u know how it works..

When Fiji xt will come out, it will replace/suceed the 290x. The 290x will step down from being flagship and the 390x will come in. If gereenland comes out, it will succeed/replace the 390x.

And all the articles say HBm2 and 14nm which is a step up from HBM1 AND 28NM

HOW is this false info?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni