In need of a new router

imthewalrus

Hello guys, I need advise as to which router I should get. I am looking for something cheap, that does the work well. Currently in my house, I have three laptops, one desktop, three mobile devices, and two printers working over the network. I also have a small server that should be plugged in through ethernet. There is no interference problems in my area, I live in a pretty rural area with only three other networks detected. My current router is not able to keep up with so many devices, so I turn to you guys!

I personally find that on a budget, going with something like a N600/N750 is better than getting a cheap AC750. What's your current router?

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN56U/

The ASUS RT-N56U seems like an okay, but more budget-oriented choice for you. It'd be really helpful if you could provide more information though such as what kind of stuff you do on your network (4K streaming, gaming, wireless backups, etc.) as well as what your budget is.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I use the cisco one hahaha 

“Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There’s no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door… Or lock it tight. And if you do choose to open it… You can still decide not to pass through.” -Kisuke Urahara

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN56U/

The ASUS RT-N56U seems like an okay, but more budget-oriented choice for you. It'd be really helpful if you could provide more information though such as what kind of stuff you do on your network (4K streaming, gaming, wireless backups, etc.) as well as what your budget is.

I have a small business, don't do a lot of streaming between computers but I do have a nightly backup set up for each one of the computers. Both the server and one desktop run at 24/7. One of the printers is a label printer the other is just a regular scanner fax printer combo. The only thing I expect to be wired through ether net to the router is the server, which also performs as a media server.

I am also running a netgear n150. My budget is below 100 if possible.

I have a small business, don't do a lot of streaming between computers but I do have a nightly backup set up for each one of the computers. Both the server and one desktop run at 24/7. One of the printers is a label printer the other is just a regular scanner fax printer combo. The only thing I expect to be wired through ether net to the router is the server, which also performs as a media server.

How many (if at all) of the computers in your house support wireless AC? Also, this is just a personal question, but do you care much about transfer speeds between your computer and server? Like you said, you run a nightly backup so it won't really matter how slow it is - it has the entire night.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

How many (if at all) of the computers in your house support wireless AC? Also, this is just a personal question, but do you care much about transfer speeds between your computer and server? Like you said, you run a nightly backup so it won't really matter how slow it is - it has the entire night.

Unfortunately only one, I don't really expect to get a lot of performance between the computer in the network. What is most important to me is that there are now errors or prolonged downtime in the network.

Unfortunately only one, I don't really expect to get a lot of performance between the computer in the network. What is most important to me is that there are now errors or prolonged downtime in the network.

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN66U/

In that case you might want to check out getting this one if you can afford it. It's a bit more expensive than the 56U, but it has more bandwidth and is generally beefier in terms of specs.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick