Resolution

The monitor I have chosen for my build is the Asus VG248QE, and the resolution is listed as 1920 ✖️1080p. Does this mean that the native resolution for this monitor is between 1080p and 1920p? This may sound like an easy question but I seriously do not understand. Could I this monitor support games at 1440p then? Thanks for any responses! Here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JTXZK8

Nope, 1080p = 1920x1080, it can only display up to 1920x1080.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Resolution is just a number.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

Nope, 1080p = 1920x1080, it can only display up to 1920x1080.

Ok, what does the 1920 mean in this situation then....

1920 is the amount of horizontal pixels.

the 2nd number, in this case, 1080p, is the one you should be worrying about, and generally depicks "quality".

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

horizontal pixels

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

you can still play games using DSR at higher resolution

what is DSR?

you can still play games using DSR at higher resolution

that doesnt make you see any more pixels

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what is DSR?

it makes your graphics card render a larger resolution image then downsize it to fit your screen

basically reducing your performance to get a bit sharper edges

it does not make you see more pixels

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1080 = vertical pixels

1920 = horizontal pixels.

what is DSR?

DSR is a feature of newer Nvidia graphics cards, it is short for Dynamic Super Resolution.

DSR does NOT increase the amount of pixels shown by your monitor, it just makes the GPU render images of the specified resolution, which is then scaled down to 1920x1080 to make everything look even smoother.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

that doesnt make you see any more pixels

I know...i never implied more pixels

1080 = vertical pixels

DSR is a feature of newer Nvidia graphics cards, it is short for Dynamic Super Resolution.

DSR does NOT increase the amount of pixels shown by your monitor, it just makes the GPU render images of the specified resolution, which is then scaled down to 1920x1080 to make everything look even smoother.

oh ok, I want to upgrade to two 970s or two 980s in the future so I can play games at 1440p. But I'm not sure what monitor would be right to use. For a while this one will seem ok but if I wanted to play at 1440p I would have to upgrade. :(

but OP was asking if he could have more pixels on this 1080p monitor, and your response implied yes...

Spoiler

but OP was asking if he could have more pixels on this 1080p monitor, and your response implied yes...

i said resolution...not pixels and dsr renders a higher resolution according to your explanation...so I did not imply anything...if I had I implied higher pixels, I would not have mentioned DSR...

anyways why  start an argument here...

1080 = vertical pixels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUSYaa6C9s

So is there any monitor that can run at both 1440p and 1080p without any problems? I have heard that if you run games at a higher or lower resolution than its native/reccomened resolution, problems can occur...

i said resolution...not pixels and dsr renders a higher resolution according to your explanation...so I did not imply anything...if I had I implied higher pixels, I would not have mentioned DSR...

anyways why  start an argument here...

Yea it's all good :)! I'm just a noob that's why I don't understand all the specific stuff yet!

So is there any monitor that can run at both 1440p and 1080p without any problems? I have heard that if you run games at a higher or lower resolution than its native/reccomened resolution, problems can occur...

You can run 1080p on a 1440p monitor, though it won't look the best, I'd suggest just running it at 1440p.

And there will be no harm for the monitor if its 1440p and you run a game at 1080p.

You can run 1080p on a 1440p monitor, though it won't look the best, I'd suggest just running it at 1440p.

And there will be no harm for the monitor if its 1440p and you run a game at 1080p.

I think that for my build i should start with the one monitor I have in my parts list, and then as I upgrade if I choose to game more at 1440p and/or 4k then I will upgrade to a higher resolution monitor and use a two monitor setup....

I think that for my build i should start with the one monitor I have in my parts list, and then as I upgrade if I choose to game more at 1440p and/or 4k then I will upgrade to a higher resolution monitor and use a two monitor setup....

I wouldn't recommend gaming on two monitors, gaming on one and using the other for something else is fine, just don't have it span across the monitors, otherwise you'll end up with a bezel right in the center.

I wouldn't recommend gaming on two monitors, gaming on one and using the other for something else is fine, just don't have it span across the monitors, otherwise you'll end up with a bezel right in the center.

not sure what to do now about monitors....

Some of the displays here are far better than the Asus you chose and around the same price. Notice it is ranked number 11 here and you can read more about the reasons why lower down.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15713-best-120-144hz-monitors.html

Ok but I am having problems choosing because I need to spend under $300 dollars on a monitor