CPU Waterblock idea?

I'm not even sure if this is a good idea, but here's what I thought of:

You have a CPU waterblock that looks normal from the outside.

Where it contacts the CPU, however, it has a gasket, and the water touches the CPU directly.

Sounds good in theory? Lets say leaks are not a possibility, would this improve temperatures, or is the surface area of the heat spreader not enough?

What if there are small fins that you can use adhesive to attach to the heat spreader to get extra thermal conductivity?

I want so see what you guys think!

That's not supposed to do that....

Where it contacts the CPU, however, it has a gasket, and the water touches the CPU directly.

Sounds good in theory? Lets say leaks are not a possibility, would this improve temperatures, or is the surface area of the heat spreader not enough?

What if there are small fins that you can use adhesive to attach to the heat spreader to get extra thermal conductivity?

Water wouldn't really help transfer heat as goods as solid copper but there are coolers that use a vapor chamber that is a low temperature evaporating liquid that move heat away from the CPU into the tower cooler faster.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cooler-master-3d-vapor-chamber,28372.html

Kind of reminds me of this guy's computer:

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Kind of reminds me of this guy's computer:

-snip-

LOL. thats all I have to say. LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ideally there wouldn't be a heat spreader between the CPU die and the water block -- this is one advantage Intel chips have over AMD, as you can "delid" Intel processors. The heat spreaders exist on the chips because the exposed core processors were too easy to crush, so that was a compromise. With AMD, they at least did the smart thing and have always used solder between the heat spreader and processor -- this makes it impossible to delid, but it's a hell of a lot better than using thermal paste like Intel (though I hear with Broadwell they will be using solder, and I think they do so with the 5xxx series but I'm not positive on that).

So in theory running liquid directly over the CPU's heat spreader would be best. What makes it less than ideal is the flat surface of the heat spreader -- not only is there less mass compared to the water block (which heatsinks are about providing mass to absorb heat along with dissipating it via convection or active cooling), but there's also less surface area for coolant to flow across, meaning diminished cooling. If the heat spreader had actual fins, then your idea would have a bit more merit, but that'd make it difficult to attach an air-cooled heatsink, and with a water block you'd have to be 100% sure it is water-tight around the fins -- i.e. the risk isn't worth any gain.

I think what would be best is if AMD and Intel distributed versions of their processors with a water block instead of a heat spreader, even solder the exposed processor core directly to the copper cold plate as well to ensure maximum heat transfer. But the risk there is when you're tubing up fittings attached to it -- the heat spreader at least would allow some protection so you don't crack the processor tubing up fittings on the water block, but if the water block was secured well enough so there is no give, no movement, then the risk can be averted.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I dont think it would work but the idea of having the IHS finned so it becomes the fin array. and you then just need to screw a top and jet plate to the ISH is an interesting one. It may be possible to machine the IHS into a fin array butt I dont know is the die would survive the heat etc