Is programming/computer science boring?

Overkilled

Computer science is boring. Programming on the other hand is the greatest thing ever

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

I'm in 9th grade as well. Personally, I LOVE math.

Go to college, take Linear Algebra + Discrete Math + Probability Theory....you'll hate math now.

Calculus, psh thats nothing.  5 on AB and BC no problemo.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Go to college, take Linear Algebra + Discrete Math + Probability Theory....you'll hate math now.

Calculus, psh thats nothing.  5 on AB and BC no problemo.

But those are easy courses? Not to mention extremely useful for applying math into various fields?  :huh:

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Computer science is boring. Programming on the other hand is the greatest thing ever

You got it backwards.

I know computer science is a really impressive gcse but I don't know if I'm passionate about it. Is it fulfilling to you guys? I'm worried if I pick it I might get bored of it. Do you guys like it

i get bored with a lot of things, but so far my CSCI classes havent been one of them.

If you want to make it a bit less boring, you have to take a creative turn into it. Studying it is boring as hell, creating stuff is exciting as fuck. Learn how pro's make stuff and do it yourself, then try to apply what you study to it. If you have any kind of courses you can create something (like Java and such), go balls to the walls and create something awesome for grades if you are allowed to (my Java practice lecturer offered me a job when I showed him what have I done, true story), ofcourse it's a bit more work and stress, more so if you work half-time at the same time like me (no, not the job I was offered :D ). So basically when you start to see where you can use something, even studying becomes exciting. Stuff in this context is any technology, apps, webapps, games, game engines, whatever you find fulfilling, get creative and you can apply studies to whatever :).

If you want to make it a bit less boring, you have to take a creative turn into it. Studying it is boring as hell, creating stuff is exciting as fuck. Learn how pro's make stuff and do it yourself, then try to apply what you study to it. If you have any kind of courses you can create something (like Java and such), go balls to the walls and create something awesome for grades if you are allowed to (my Java practice lecturer offered me a job when I showed him what have I done, true story), ofcourse it's a bit more work and stress, more so if you work half-time at the same time like me (no, not the job I was offered :D ). So basically when you start to see where you can use something, even studying becomes exciting. Stuff in this context is any technology, apps, webapps, games, game engines, whatever you find fulfilling, get creative and you can apply studies to whatever :).

Would love to know what you developed and what type of job you were offered. If you don't mind sharing that is.

Would love to know what you developed and what type of job you were offered. If you don't mind sharing that is.

Not at all, I will ommit some details though, as it contains ideas (at least not yet) and specific info not meant for the public . Our assignment was to make a simple service-client interface and then use it (the kind of thing that is in scope of a single application, with the service being reusable somewhere else). So I just went ahead and made a full fledged RESTful Api that runs on a server and has a database. Also a nice client api to program on, exchange states with server, login, put some data in a database then retrieve it and so on. That is another type of client-service interfaces, so I was good. Spring MVC, Spring Beans were the major technologies used (Spring Beans is important in doing this kind of stuff [EJB is another variation, does the same] ), then there's Jedis (a Java client for the Redis database, I used Redis as a custom session handler, thus the choice of an in-memory database). Now I'm not too sure what kind of job I would have had (since I declined as i have another job), but I'm pretty damn sure it would be as a back-end developer. My lecturer only lectures as a hobby, he is a software architect in *insert name here* company, thus he is pretty capable at putting me in the *insert name here* company :). The *insert name here* company is fully a software company too.