Skrub Question on WD Hard Drives

RazorDragon
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I was just wondering if the type of Hard Drive (i.e WD Blue, Black, etc..) will have any real impact on performance, because I was going to put a Western Digital AV-GP 1TB 3.5 into my future itx gaming build thingy

Hey RAzorDragon,

The speed of your storage drive would have an impact on everything that you load from it and all the data you work with that is on the drive. Each drive has its transfer speeds and some are higher, some are lower. Some drives are not capable of running more demanding applications or stream vary big media files. 
Games rely of storage only for their loading times so if you don't mind waiting a bit longer for your games to load, you should be OK with any drive that you use to run games from. WD AV-GP is a great drive from the previous generation of WD consumer drives and you should be OK with its performance. Here's the drive's spec sheet with more info on its features: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=xFGnNT

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

I was just wondering if the type of Hard Drive (i.e WD Blue, Black, etc..) will have any real impact on performance, because I was going to put a Western Digital AV-GP 1TB 3.5 into my future itx gaming build thingy

an SSD will have a better impact

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

negligible difference.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

only differnece youll really see with an ssd compared to an hdd is that things load faster if they are on an ssd other than that theirs no difference in game performance or the like.

askdjfasdf

yea there will be a ssd in the build, but this is for general mass storage. I picked this drive cause its cheap 

I believe they are all very similar in performance, aside from the low RPM ones. That would be the green drives and some of their massive storage drives.

In terms of reliability, I can't tell you which is better. I've heard people swear by WD Black drives with their 5 year warranty, and I've heard people condemn WD Black drives due to their premium price. I honestly don't know if there is a physical difference between the series of drives that would make one more or less reliable than another. That doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I don't know if it is.

yea there will be a ssd in the build, but this is for general mass storage. I picked this drive cause its cheap 

As long as they are 7200rpm models, they will have pretty similar performance. Just make sure not to go 5400rpm if you plan on ever using those files.

As long as they are 7200rpm models, they will have pretty similar performance. Just make sure not to go 5400rpm if you plan on ever using those files.

May i ask how slow 5400rpm is 

May i ask how slow 5400rpm is 

Well around 3/4 as fast as a 7200rpm drive, which can be really annoying. It doesn't sound like that big of a difference, but you can really feel it. I would still be generally be fine with storing things like movies on a 5400rpm drive, but not much else.

Hey RAzorDragon,

The speed of your storage drive would have an impact on everything that you load from it and all the data you work with that is on the drive. Each drive has its transfer speeds and some are higher, some are lower. Some drives are not capable of running more demanding applications or stream vary big media files. 
Games rely of storage only for their loading times so if you don't mind waiting a bit longer for your games to load, you should be OK with any drive that you use to run games from. WD AV-GP is a great drive from the previous generation of WD consumer drives and you should be OK with its performance. Here's the drive's spec sheet with more info on its features: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=xFGnNT

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/