Monitor question.

ApexSutton31

Hello all, 

I'm thinking of running with an R9 280x video card when I finally get round to building my computer. I was wondering what y'all thought would be a good monitor to use with that video card? For gaming, and I'm looking for the highest resolution I can run with the card without massive lag/blurring and what not. 

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

I would say 1080p for the 280x. 1440p would be pushing it, but you could do it if you didn't mind not maxing games out.

When are you getting around to building your pc? Because by the time you are building (if it's going to be a while) there could be better and cheaper GPUs out.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

That's what I was thinking on the resolution side of things. I guess I set my sights too high like 4k and what not. I'll probably be getting round to building it in the next 6-8 months. So I'm sure there will be GPUs that are more bang for you buck kind of cards.

Well... It's funny: A friend of mine asked me the exact same question (he has a 280X, too). And as a owner of a 4k TN-Display and a 280X, I think I have some real world experience to share :)

First of all: Yes, you can play modern and demanding titles on 4k with a 280X. And you can crank the settings pretty high, if you are fine with around 40FPS and if you find the settings with the most visual impact, but the least impact on performance. But the Question here is: Is it worth it?

I would say, that it isn't. So i recommended a 1440P IPS to my friend. The result was pretty clear for me: He gets framerates in the 50s to 60s on modern titles with almost maxed out settings and the perceived image quality is better - Since the ips panel is much more colorful and has a better contrast.

In conclusion I would recommend you the same setup. 1440p looks good and is much cheaper, if you want IPS and decent framerates. You won't get to max out every game on the 280X and you won't get 60FPS+ all the time, but you'll get stunning visual quality and high enough framerates (I consider everything that stays over 40-45 as "smooth")

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Thank you all for the responses. I think I am just going to go with a 1080p for now. When I get the money to crossfire 2 280x's, I'll probably move up from then.