BUILD CHALLENGE: Corsair 380T Case, Minor Workstation/Gaming Grade Rig

I would try and create a build myself, but I wanted some second opinions. I just watched the review for the Corsair 380T case and immediately wanted to use it as my base, but the issue is that I do a bit of everything: video editing, level/model/content creation using various high-end tools, gaming on everything from Far Cry 3 to classic games <Quake 2/UT2003>. I also create and test mods for various Source games and am hoping to move up to UDK/CryEngine development. All of that said, this was the baseline of what I was going for:

-16 GB of at least 1866 MHz RAM

-Graphics card that can go from gaming/streaming to multithread processing I.E. Photoshop CS6, After Effects, Premiere, etc.

-I will be <hopefully> buying a drawing tablet sometime in the future for easier design and modeling, so if that would cause any problems....

-I have a feeling that something from Asus or Gigabyte <for the form factor> would be probable for the motherboard.

-Since I will be moving from task to task and performing both gaming and rendering, should I go for an Intel system or an AMD system?

-I already have the HDD taken care of, but I might need a monitor or two...

All in all, I can spend $1600 for the base build <order the key components first, then upgrade later on> minus the cost of the monitors and HDD's.

NOTE: The case is not set in stone; if there would be restrictions or if it would be wiser to get a bigger case, then feel free to say something.

I appreciate any help with this, I have graveyards at one of my local stores so it's kind of difficult to design a build afterwards hahaha.

the build will be fine, altho your going to have to watercool the cpu i such a small case

@I337yoSh11

I would try and create a build myself, but I wanted some second opinions. I just watched the review for the Corsair 380T case and immediately wanted to use it as my base, but the issue is that I do a bit of everything: video editing, level/model/content creation using various high-end tools, gaming on everything from Far Cry 3 to classic games <Quake 2/UT2003>. I also create and test mods for various Source games and am hoping to move up to UDK/CryEngine development. All of that said, this was the baseline of what I was going for:

-16 GB of at least 1866 MHz RAM

-Graphics card that can go from gaming/streaming to multithread processing I.E. Photoshop CS6, After Effects, Premiere, etc.

-I will be <hopefully> buying a drawing tablet sometime in the future for easier design and modeling, so if that would cause any problems....

-I have a feeling that something from Asus or Gigabyte <for the form factor> would be probable for the motherboard.

-Since I will be moving from task to task and performing both gaming and rendering, should I go for an Intel system or an AMD system?

-I already have the HDD taken care of, but I might need a monitor or two...

All in all, I can spend $1600 for the base build <order the key components first, then upgrade later on> minus the cost of the monitors and HDD's.

NOTE: The case is not set in stone; if there would be restrictions or if it would be wiser to get a bigger case, then feel free to say something.

I appreciate any help with this, I have graveyards at one of my local stores so it's kind of difficult to design a build afterwards hahaha.

Why exactly do you need RAM to be 1866mhz? I can totally understand 16gbs, but the speed... is questionable, at best.

Do any of your programs take advantage of Quadros?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Why exactly do you need RAM to be 1866mhz? I can totally understand 16gbs, but the speed... is questionable, at best.

Do any of your programs take advantage of Quadros?

Not that I know of, I'm just not sure on what components I should use. Would 1600 be fine or should I go higher for RAM speed?

Well, have fun. You still have ~400$ to add the display(s). My suggestion is going for a 1440p one, but feel free to pick whatever solution works best for you.

Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Apotop 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($95.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($332.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($123.76 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.79 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1223.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-25 01:14 EDT-0400

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

DDR3-1600MHz CL 9 memory is fine. But higher speeds can make a small difference in some non-gaming applications.

Was not sure if you had an ssd, so I have included a 500GB unit. The larger unit will allow for use as the CS6 scratch disk.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($296.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($207.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($535.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1413.74

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

DDR3-1600MHz CL 9 memory is fine. But higher speeds can make a small difference in some non-gaming applications.

Was not sure if you had an ssd, so I have included a 500GB unit. The larger unit will allow for use as the CS6 scratch disk.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($296.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus H97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($207.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($535.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1413.74

While the RAM has higher speeds, lantency is on the roof, effectively canceling it out.

The build also lacks windows. And OP said he needed a display.

Well, have fun. You still have ~400$ to add the display(s). My suggestion is going for a 1440p one, but feel free to pick whatever solution works best for you.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($229.95 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK TRITON 100.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Apotop 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.90 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($332.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case ($123.76 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Rosewill 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.79 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1223.33

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

He said he doesn't need HDD, just sayin' not hatin' [emoji6]

While the RAM has higher speeds, lantency is on the roof, effectively canceling it out.

The build also lacks windows. And OP said he needed a display.

Not so. DDR3-2133 CL 11 generally outperforms DDR3-1600 CL 9.

Plenty of room in the build for Windows.

According to OP, the budget excluded a monitor.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.