Amount of free space on a new SSD

plutomok

Ready to pick up an SSD for my OS and core apps

What SSD will I get more free space with out of the box, i understand its not always the full 250gb/256gb

My budget is $150 CAD including taxes

currently looking at

Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

Adata XPG xs900 256gb

Please let me know of other good recommendations

Phenom II X6 1090T @3.6ghz , EVGA GTX 770 SC, 8GB Hyper-X ram, Adata SX900, WD Black, Corsair HX850, LG IPS234, Logitech G9x, Logitech X-230, Netgear R7000

lol are you seriously trying to get a few GBs extra space instead of looking for high quality and reliability?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

xD it should be about the same for all SSD's.

However there are some ways to get some more free space from your SSD

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

lol are you seriously trying to get a few GBs extra space instead of looking for high quality and reliability?

high quality and reliability are the only 2 real criteria im meeting.

i meant of the ones i was currently looking at (samsung evo, adata xpg, plextor, crucial) which are formatted to have more space (i know its a long shot)

Phenom II X6 1090T @3.6ghz , EVGA GTX 770 SC, 8GB Hyper-X ram, Adata SX900, WD Black, Corsair HX850, LG IPS234, Logitech G9x, Logitech X-230, Netgear R7000

My 840 EVO out of the box after formatting was 237GB I believe. I also remember hearing that the Intel 730 240GB actually comes with 240GB free space, as the over provisioning is already accounted for...I could be wrong. I don't know AData well. I had a bad experience with OCZ and I've been only installing Samsung since. My 840 I bought first day of sales, still going strong. Got an 840 for my g/f and two 850s for my two workstation computers at the shop and I have not been disappointing in 2.5 years.

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33844326

My 840 EVO out of the box after formatting was 237GB I believe. I also remember hearing that the Intel 730 240GB actually comes with 240GB free space, as the over provisioning is already accounted for...I could be wrong. I don't know AData well. I had a bad experience with OCZ and I've been only installing Samsung since. My 840 I bought first day of sales, still going strong. Got an 840 for my g/f and two 850s for my two workstation computers at the shop and I have not been disappointing in 2.5 years.

ah yes "Over provisioning" was the word i was looking for

Found an 850 evo for 129.99 im probably going to go with that

Have you ever had to clone the OS onto the SSD or did you do it from scratch?

~snip~

Hey plutomok,

SSDs require some free space for caching purposes in order to work with optimal speeds. Newer ones have that reserved and you don't have access to it anyway, I would still keep a couple of percents free just to make sure the drive operates at its optimal speeds. 
Regarding the cloning, I would avoid if possible as it clones not only the data but all the settings and there might be some compatibility issues such as the SSD being recognized as a HDD or bad treatment from TRIM. Also you are likely to clone over any bad sectors, errors or malware that you might have. I would suggest a fresh install as it would refresh your system and get rid of any unused and unwanted files and programs. :) 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Regarding the cloning, I would avoid if possible as it clones not only the data but all the settings and there might be some compatibility issues such as the SSD being recognized as a HDD or bad treatment from TRIM. Also you are likely to clone over any bad sectors, errors or malware that you might have. I would suggest a fresh install as it would refresh your system and get rid of any unused and unwanted files and programs. :)

ah yes "Over provisioning" was the word i was looking for

Found an 850 evo for 129.99 im probably going to go with that

Have you ever had to clone the OS onto the SSD or did you do it from scratch?

I would not clone for the same reasons. A sure fire way right now to make sure the SSD is recognized as an SSD is to install fresh with OS. 850 EVO has been good to me so far...but with NVMe here now, I'm gonna look for upgrades to my home rig

PC: Intel 10700K, Asus Z490-E Strix, G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz C14, Thermaltake View 71, Custom Water Cooling (EKWB Quantum, 2x 360mm SR1 Radiators, 6 Noctua NF-A12), EVGA GTX1080 ti HydroCopper, Intel 6651TB, Intel 600p 480GB, Windows 10 Pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33844326