GPU Problem!

Lqndon

Heres my story. So yesterday it was late, and I was just getting offline. I shut down my PC like normal and while the windows screen was JUST going away and the pc was like 5seconds away from shutting down I flipped the switch on the back to shut it completely down so it doesnt draw any power and doesnt keep my keyboard lit up so my LEDs last longer. Now I am thinking at this point nothing is wrong and I went to bed. Just turned the PC on and the GPU doesn't display screen. I tried the HDMI port on the back (which I think is the Motherboard) and it works! But my GPU screen or w/e you call it doesn't show anything and says no signal. My GPU fans are spinning and looks OK? I dont know because I am new to EVERYTHING about pc and didn't even build it my self because I didn't wanna screw anything up.

My question is how do I know what parts I just messed up? Its not my CPU, its probably my GPU, it can't be my ram because its detecting 8gb of ram and is working, it can't be my motherboard, nor my HDD so at this point... Did I just fry my GPU?

This was by far the dumbest thing I have ever done and now I probably just wasted $230 on a new GPU not including my whole new pc. So Please help anyone?

Do you have your old card on hand? Or which processor do you use?

Btw that shouldn't normally do any harm, worst case scenario would be minor data loss, but that's it.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

I cant imagine something like that could damage your GPU so dont panic yet :)
Can you give us more info on whats going on as you press the power button to turn on the PC?

Chances are that didn't do it. Check the cables, can you try another port or monitor/tv

Ok so let me clear it up... It was as I was turning it off. It was at the point where it was JUST about to power down. And my CPU is the Intel i5 4690k and no I do not this is my first pc!

Check Bios didn't flip out a lil and re-set.. Make sure that display is on PCI-e and not the integrated.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Ok can you guys please help me like Dzzope you said make sure it is on PCI-e and not the integrated? Can you explain? How do I check bios and what do I check? I am sorry this is all new to me!

Ok so let me clear it up... It was as I was turning it off. It was at the point where it was JUST about to power down. And my CPU is the Intel i5 4690k and no I do not this is my first pc!

If you are sure all cables are properly connected and you mainboard has some form of video output, I would deinstall the gpu and plugin your monitor to your mainboard.

That way you will be using the integrated graphics, see if that works.

Edit: By the way the monitor must be connected into the card itself in order to display anything with your graphics card :P

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Chances are that didn't do it. Check the cables, can you try another port or monitor/tv

I tried another port no sucess... But another thing is I forgot to mention is I do not have Nvidia Control Panel anymore and when I try and open it it just doesnt open... When I go to device manager it says for my GPU (its detecting my GPU so thats good) thats this device is working properly 

If you are sure all cables are properly connected and you mainboard has some form of video output, I would deinstall the gpu and plugin your monitor to your mainboard.

That way you will be using the integrated graphics, see if that works.

I am doing that right now thats how I am on my pc currently... The HDMI port for mobo works but the DVI one to my monitor (which is gpu) doesnt

EDIT: I cannot uninstall my GPU stuff because I do not have the Nvidia Control Panel... Any suggestions?

I tried another port no sucess... But another thing is I forgot to mention is I do not have Nvidia Control Panel anymore and when I try and open it it just doesnt open... When I go to device manager it says for my GPU (its detecting my GPU so thats good) thats this device is working properly 

Are you getting something on your screen or not :S I'm confused

My recommendation would be to :

Boot up using your iGPU(intergrated) and check in the device manager if Windows is detecting the Nvidia GPU properly.

Re-sit the GPU in the Pcie slot. 

or clear the BIOS using whichever method (cmos clr on the motherboard or turning off the PSU and holding down the power button). this helped me out last time the mobo derped on me. 

I am doing that right now thats how I am on my pc currently... The HDMI port for mobo works but the DVI one to my monitor (which is gpu) doesnt

EDIT: I cannot uninstall my GPU stuff because I do not have the Nvidia Control Panel... Any suggestions?

I'm talking about physically removing it, not deinstalling softwarewise.

Are you getting something on your screen or not :S I'm confused

Me connecting to the GPU no... Connecting to the Motherboard yes...

My recommendation would be to :

Boot up using your iGPU(intergrated) and check in the device manager if Windows is detecting the Nvidia GPU properly.

Re-sit the GPU in the Pcie slot. 

or clear the BIOS using whichever method (cmos clr on the motherboard or turning off the PSU and holding down the power button). this helped me out last time the mobo derped on me. 

ok now can you explain a little more on what to do please?

http://gyazo.com/2258e090ab34ccd4139ec0f3ef2f2555

This'll mean you will have to open your pc and take out your graphics card and reinstall again properly.

For the clear BIOS thing, I only know about the method to take out the big round silver battery from your mainboard, leave it out for 10-15min and reinstall it again.

This'll mean you will have to open your pc and take out your graphics card and reinstall again properly.

For the clear BIOS thing, I only know about the method to take out the big round silver battery from your mainboard, leave it out for 10-15min and reinstall it again.

Ok I never put in a GPU before... Any tips? Videos? Anything and check my recent picture.

http://gyazo.com/2258e090ab34ccd4139ec0f3ef2f2555

Ok cool. so it is still detecting it.

As Mecami said. He meant that you open up the Case and remove the gpu from the Pcie slot and put it back in. Sometimes it works wonders haha.

As for clearing bios im just going to link this wikihow : http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Ok cool. so it is still detecting it.

As Mecami said. He meant that you open up the Case and remove the gpu from the Pcie slot and put it back in. Sometimes it works wonders haha.

As for clearing bios im just going to link this wikihow : http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Yea but why cant I install the drivers and stuff? I posted a pic. http://gyazo.com/b98c89153204b39def3dec89d990eeb3

Ok I never put in a GPU before... Any tips? Videos? Anything and check my recent picture.

This video by GeekLoop might help you out :

Touch a metal surface first to ground yourself, open your case, unscrew the 2 big screws one the back of your case (inside) that are holding the bracket of your graphics card, push the little lever under the graphics card on the right of the PCIe slot it is sitting in, take out your card.

To reinstall just push it back into the PCIe slot screw the bracket in again and done.

Touch a metal surface first to ground yourself, open your case, unscrew the 2 big screws one the back of your case (inside) that are holding the bracket of your graphics card, push the little lever under the graphics card on the right of the PCIe slot it is sitting in, take out your card.

To reinstall just push it back into the PCIe slot screw the bracket in again and done.

what about that wire thats coming from the right of card?

Yea but why cant I install the drivers and stuff? I posted a pic. http://gyazo.com/b98c89153204b39def3dec89d990eeb3

This could be due to a number of things. So its best just to try diagnose the problems starting with the easiest first :)

Would be nice if theres a GPU guru out there that can help out with GPU communication issues  :D

what about that wire thats coming from the right of card?

In your case just plug them out and plug them back in. those supply power for your GPU. :) so make sure they are nice n secure.

ps: they have clips on em.