I think i'm over looking a bottleneck

My build:

- AMD FX - 8320 8-core 3.5GHz

4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 OC ITX, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 1076MHz, Boost 1216MHz, Cores 1664

Crucial Sport 4GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 (x4)

970A-G46 motherboard

- 500W power supply

Just upgraded my gpu from a 640, im aware i wont be making the most out of the 970 but performance hasnt risen by as much as anticipated. What would you suggest?

Thank you :)

SNIP

Depending on the game, the FX 8320 is your bottleneck

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In games that are more dependent on CPU power the FX 8350 would bottleneck you more than an i3 does.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yes you are, the AMD FX-8350 is no match for a GTX 970...i delt with the same issue last year with my GTX 780...your GPU nis even more powerful...time for an upgrade to an i5 or i7 mate!

You also want to have 8GB of RAM for gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You could try overclocking your 8320 first and see if that helps.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

8530 will not bottleneck 970, yes you will have better performance with i5 but just because it is better CPU not because it is bottlenecking 970.

8530 will not bottleneck 970, yes you will have better performance with i5 but just because it is better CPU not because it is bottlenecking 970.

You will have better performance EXACTLY BECAUSE the FX-83XX does limit the performance of a GTX 970 SIGNIFICANTLY has been proven COUNTLESS TIMES previously on this forum...and this is called ''A CPU BOTTLENECK''...and in MANY games, the difference between an overclocked FX-8350 and a lower end i5-4460 for example is rather significant.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the only reason a gpu would perform worst with a certain cpu is only because the gpu is unable to work at its 99-100% workload as it should be. So if it performs worst, then the cpu is the bottleneck. Its as simple as that

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

What would be a suitable upgrade (one that would fit the motherboard), thanks

2 things.. Over clock that CPU and get yourself 8Gib of ram.. Ram is your bottleneck currently then CPU..

If your on 32bit OS, you have a bigger problem.. 32bit windows will only see and use ~3.7Gib ram (including Vram IIRC) so if your on 32 bit, it's time for a fresh install.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

2 things.. Over clock that CPU and get yourself 8Gib of ram.. Ram is your bottleneck currently then CPU..

If your on 32bit OS, you have a bigger problem.. 32bit windows will only see and use ~3.7Gib ram (including Vram IIRC) so if your on 32 bit, it's time for a fresh install.

How would ram be the bottleneck. Its rare to use more than 4gigs while gaming. Maybe some of the newest titles might, but 4gb would not be a bottleneck, its the 8320 in there.

EDIT: And at the end it loos like "(x4)" was added, now i dont know if that means 4 x 1gb sticks ot 4 x 4gb sticks

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

What would be a suitable upgrade (one that would fit the motherboard), thanks

this would already be a big improvement over what you have...along with another 4GB RAM stick that match the speed and voltage of the one you already have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($163.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($39.59 @ Newegg)

Total: $203.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-21 10:29 EDT-0400

what would be another cpu that could be an upgrade, (everyone is saying thats the bottleneck)and i have 16gb of ram sorry didnt make that completely clear. and im 64 bit

what would be another cpu that could be an upgrade, (everyone is saying thats the bottleneck)and i have 16gb of ram sorry didnt make that completely clear. and im 64 bit

Even an i3 would yield better performance. i5 would be better. You could go i7, but the performance increase from the i5 might not justify that extra 100. The performance increase isn't 0, its just not alot, so that 100 might not be worth it as of today.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

How would ram be the bottleneck. Its rare to use more than 4gigs while gaming. Maybe some of the newest titles might, but 4gb would not be a bottleneck, its the 8320 in there.

EDIT: And at the end it loos like "(x4)" was added, now i dont know if that means 4 x 1gb sticks ot 4 x 4gb sticks

If you leave things like chrome and multiple tabs, skype, steam, origin etc open at the same time.. 8GB is well needed if not more.. My usage is usually about 5-6 GB outside of games and up to 12 sometimes in games and with a movie on etc.. It's all about the usage and not just what the game uses.. However if it is 16GB (4x4) obviously it's a non-issue, as should be the 32 bit OS.

To the OP.. OC that chip as hard as you dare and see if it gets to where your happy.

depending on the game you could see nothing to double the fps in swapping the CPU for an i5 / i7.. Few games use HT but it does help with background apps or if you stream and such.

I'd still oc what you have and see if your happy before looking at replacing.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

when it comes to gaming, the i5-4690K and a cheap Z97 motherboard is really idealy what you would want to pair with a GPU such as the GTX 970...core i7-4790k is only slightly better at gaming and it's probably not worth the added cost depending on the prices...most of the times it's not.

Do you happen to live near a micro-center store? they have awesome in-store pick up combo deals on intel CPU+motherboard...

Problem is, he cannot OC that CPU on his current motherboard because of VRMs, and even an overclock to 5.0Ghz isn't going to fix his problem. At the very least, an i5 must be used to get the most out of his GTX 970.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You will have better performance EXACTLY BECAUSE the FX-83XX does limit the performance of a GTX 970 SIGNIFICANTLY has been proven COUNTLESS TIMES previously on this forum...and this is called ''A CPU BOTTLENECK''...and in MANY games, the difference between an overclocked FX-8350 and a lower end i5-4460 for example is rather significant.

After doing some research, I can't tell with certainty but I believe because ATI/AMD does core stacking with their CPU's a side effect of this is games and drivers can be less optimized.

This actually calls back to The LinusTech TIps video about how hexa and octa core processors can actually perform significantly less then there Quadcore with or without HT counterparts in Games amongst a wide variety. See 

I believe that's the effect occurring in this system, where the CPU itself is not the bottleneck but the drivers in which it runs and loads its applications.

Either way ATI/AMD is to fault, and the CPU and drivers may as well be one in the same in some sense.

I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.288V                 Corsair Vengeance 12GB Cas8                          Overclocker Thug life
MSI-Gaming-7                                       Corsair Sandforce GT 120gig                             http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R2Jb6h   (Current Build)

OCZ Vertex2 60gig                               Corsair F60 60gig

My build:

- AMD FX - 8320 8-core 3.5GHz

4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 OC ITX, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 1076MHz, Boost 1216MHz, Cores 1664

Crucial Sport 4GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 (x4)

970A-G46 motherboard

- 500W power supply

Just upgraded my gpu from a 640, im aware i wont be making the most out of the 970 but performance hasnt risen by as much as anticipated. What would you suggest?

Thank you :)

CPU can bottleneck you in some games, but your Ram can also bottleneck you. 4gb just isn't enough now a days. in GTA 5 I am running 6-7gb of used ram most of the time.

Ram will be the cheaper upgrade, so try that first. GL

Woops, trying to answer the original post, after reading through and seeing you have 16gb, we are all good there...

Nanosuit and Faceman know what they are talking about, take their advise.

After eliminating the possible ram bottleneck, it is simply your CPU.

If you have the money get the i5-4690k and a z97 board, you will be good with gaming for a long time.

if you dont, and just need something cheap to make the switch to intel... you can start with z97 board and Pentium G3258. This will be the cheapest switch to intel, but you will need to overclock the CPU (what that cpu is good for) to get equal to, or even better performance than your current CPU. From here you can upgrade that CPU when you get the money to an i5, which are perfect for gaming.

if you dont want to go the upgrade route but are on a budget, then you might have to settle with an i3, which will perform better than your current setup, but still not optimal for your graphics card.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

First of all, you combined a fx eight core with a low quality 970 motherboard (you need a motherboard with at least a 6+2 (8+2) power phases, and they are not that more expensive). You have an unlocked FX CPU, you have to overclock it. Upgrade your RAM to at least 8GB.

P.S.: I personally would not pair a FX chip with a GPU more powerful than a R9 280x.

you can start with z97 board and Pentium G3258. This will be the cheapest switch to intel, but you will need to overclock the CPU (what that cpu is good for) to get equal to, or even better performance than your current CPU. From here you can upgrade that CPU when you get the money to an i5, which are perfect for gaming.

i agree about upgreadability the G3258 might offer...but you'll not be able to match the FX-8320 in games with that chip...honestly 2 thread CPU like that it's very weak when it comes to modern AAA titles...you need at least a haswell core i3 to consistently match an FX-6300 or FX-8320 in games...but the OP already bought a very strong graphics card that must have cost nearly 400$ so at that point it would only make sense IMHO to at least put money toward a good haswell core i5 and a new motherboard for it...it just make sense otherwise he's not taking advantage of it's new GPU.

...and his motherboard is very cheap and overclocking on this is not an option...and even overclocked to 5ghz that FX chip will still limit a GPU such as the GTX 970 unless he start rendering games at 1440p or higher resolution in which case he'll get 30FPS in demanding titles and will be GPU bound again...but who like playing games at 30-40ish FPS...you game on PC you should want a solid 60FPS out of your hardware at all time IMHO.