i7 4790k overclocking

I have got the i7 4790k with stock cooler. my i7 4790k is getting around 90-95c at 100% load, which is quite hot, so I decided to put a Noctua DH-14 on it (ordered it today, getting it this week).

My question to you, i've never overclocked a CPU before and this cpu is running at 4ghz stock, how far can I push this with the noctua DH-14. I can't give you idle & load temps as I don't have the cooler yet, but what would you think/guess?

Also aslong as I can keep the temps below 70c, will overclocking still degrade the lifespan of the cpu?

You really need to experiment for yourself. But it's voltage that mostly effect CPU heat output, but greater voltage means higher overclocks.

and yes, keeping the temps below 70 for general use is ideal, though when stress-testing it's Ok if it hits 80+ as it's unlikely you're going to run the CPU that hard for extended periods

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Every cpu is different. You could get 4.8ghz or you could only get 4.2. Overclocking will degrade life but I wouldn't worry bout it. You'll prob upgrade before you see any degradation. I bought my 2500k in 2011 and ran it at 5ghz 1.38 volts until a week ago when it started crashing. Can't get anything stable past 4.6ghz now. :(  As long as you  stay with a safe voltage you should be perfectly fine.

If you got a good chip, you should be able to push it to 4.7-4.8 gHz. The only thing you need to watch out for is to keep your voltage at 1,30V when deciding on your permanent overclock or under to avoid a much quickerdegradation of the chip

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

If you got a good chip, you should be able to push it to 4.7-4.8 gHz. The only thing you need to watch out for is to keep your voltage at 1,30V when deciding on your permanent overclock or under to avoid a much quickerdegradation of the chip

what is the stock voltage?

Also will the chip even degrade if i up the voltages just a little bit (under 1.3v) to sit at around 4.4ghz

Oh, and when do you want to OC the i7 4790k, as 4ghz is quite quick already.

I guess when you for example want to render long videos and stuff?