Dxtory vs Action! to record gameplay?

WhiteSkyMage

Hey guys,

I am having doubts using one of those 2 capture software. I really want to capture looseless footage, to have some good quality vids, but fraps just isnt an option - laggy, even when recording desktop. I found Dxtory and Mirillis Action to be good choices. The only problem i see between them is that Dxtory cant stream, and Action! compresses files (can't i change the codec in Mirillis action?).

Tell me what you use...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Dxtory

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

-Snipe-

I use dxtory for recording because it doesn't lag even on the most CPU intensive games I've played, and its quality is still great... also has a TON of options that help.

I use OBS to live stream. I'm not sure, but you may be able to use dxtory with OBS somehow to live stream. 

As a side note - I use bandicam to record the desktop. 

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I use dxtory for recording because it doesn't lag even on the most CPU intensive games I've played, and its quality is still great... also has a TON of options that help.

I use OBS to live stream. I'm not sure, but you may be able to use dxtory with OBS somehow to live stream. 

As a side note - I use bandicam to record the desktop.

Ok ty. What's the filesize you normally get? Do you use another codec than the default one?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Ok ty. What's the filesize you normally get? Do you use another codec than the default one?

That depends on the program I'm using. I don't really keep much track of the file size considering I delete the raw files after I'm done editing and rendering them. Dxtory with gaming does take up a lot of space for me initially, GBs only after a minute or two IIRC while Bandicam doesn't seem to ever go high in the file size. 

For dxtory, I use the default video codec (Dxtory Video Codec). IIRC I put it to low quality with compression so my HDD can keep up with 1080p60 video. Here's a video using dxtory (The game anyway).

For bandicam, I use intel quick sync. The codec is H.264 with CBR 50kbps, X264 FourCC code, and 1 keyframe interval. I have those settings so I can video edit in Sony Vegas without issues. Here's a video using bandicam (when on desktop).

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

That depends on the program I'm using. I don't really keep much track of the file size considering I delete the raw files after I'm done editing and rendering them. Dxtory with gaming does take up a lot of space for me initially, GBs only after a minute or two IIRC while Bandicam doesn't seem to ever go high in the file size. 

For dxtory, I use the default video codec (Dxtory Video Codec). IIRC I put it to low quality with compression so my HDD can keep up with 1080p60 video.

(The game anyway).

For bandicam, I use intel quick sync. The codec is H.264 with CBR 50kbps, X264 FourCC code, and 1 keyframe interval. I have those settings so I can video edit in Sony Vegas without issues.

(when on desktop).

Why are so many people using Lagarith Lossless codec? Is it just better than the default one?

Action! was very buggy when I tried it a couple years back. Much easier to use though than Dxtory.

For dxtory, I use the default video codec (Dxtory Video Codec). IIRC I put it to low quality with compression so my HDD can keep up with 1080p60 video.

(The game anyway).

For bandicam, I use intel quick sync. The codec is H.264 with CBR 50kbps, X264 FourCC code, and 1 keyframe interval. I have those settings so I can video edit in Sony Vegas without issues.

(when on desktop).

Action! was very buggy when I tried it a couple years back. Much easier to use though than Dxtory.

Ill use Dxtory. The question now is really the codec. Big recommendation is the Lagarith Lossless codec but im looking for a better one. I got lots of storage and fast cpu. I want best quality possible recording without affecting game performance (it is ok if files are raw, large and uncompressed). I don't care how much time it takes to render to YouTube after i edit it using Sony vegas.

edit:I am looking into recording in 1440p 60fps, then I will send it to YouTube via Sony Vegas ... Yes...i will do it on an SSD...

-Snipe-

I tried lagarith when I was trying to find a solution for 60 fps recording. I gave it up for some reason, I can't remember for sure what. I think it just lagged on me (because of the HDD). Anyway, if you have an SSD I'm sure you can probably handle the default codec with much higher quality than I can. If I were you, I'd just try both lagarith and the default codec to see which is best for you. Lagarith is free after all. 

Best of luck to you. :)

I tried lagarith when I was trying to find a solution for 60 fps recording. I gave it up for some reason, I can't remember for sure what. I think it just lagged on me (because of the HDD). Anyway, if you have an SSD I'm sure you can probably handle the default codec with much higher quality than I can. If I were you, I'd just try both lagarith and the default codec to see which is best for you. Lagarith is free after all. 

Best of luck to you. :)

Please tell me one thing. Youtube accepts only 60fps at 1080p, 30fps at 1440p. If I am doing a video like a fan trailer for a game (with a fast movements, actions, slowdowns), is 60fps 1080p better than 30fps 1440p or it doesn't matter?

Please tell me one thing. Youtube accepts only 60fps at 1080p, 30fps at 1440p. If I am doing a video like a fan trailer for a game (with a fast movements, actions, slowdowns), is 60fps 1080p better than 30fps 1440p or it doesn't matter?

I don't know for sure when it comes to how much of a difference there'll be in quality. I always go with 1080p60 because my monitors only support up to 1080p.