Gtx 970 430w psu

Ron Calara

Hi I was wondering if a EVGA 430w 80 plus PSU I currently own is enough for a GTX 970.

My system specs: 

i3 4130 ( I will upgrade this shortly after to an i7 so let's not discuss CPU bottleknecks, limitations ) 

8gb ram

h81 motherboard

r7 260x

1 ssd, 1 hard drive

http://imgur.com/ghCEEL3- this is a picture of Linus's holiday build guide recommending a gtx 970 with a 430w PSU and with an fx 6300

I also want to know how much headroom I have with the power supply with this system. NO CPU overclocks, just GPU overclocks.

without any overclocking you should be ok. but once you upgrade your cpu you may want to upgrade the psu too, just to be safe

Hi I was wondering if a EVGA 430w 80 plus PSU I currently own is enough for a GTX 970.

My system specs: 

i3 4130 ( I will upgrade this shortly after to an i7 so let's not discuss CPU bottleknecks, limitations ) 

8gb ram

h81 motherboard

r7 260x

1 ssd, 1 hard drive

http://imgur.com/ghCEEL3- this is a picture of Linus's holiday build guide recommending a gtx 970 with a 430w PSU and with an fx 6300

I also want to know how much headroom I have with the power supply with this system. NO CPU overclocks, just GPU overclocks.

You won't have much if any room for a GPU overclock, with a 400W PSU (500W peak) my GTX 970 was maxing it out (they can use up to 300W of power).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I definitely wouldnt go under 500 Despite what linus says *GASP* "HERESY!"

You should be fine with a small overclock. Doesn't really surprise me he'd recommend a 430w for that GPU. Newer Nvidia GPUs are really good on power. Heck, even a rig with a 680 (which uses similar amount of power) didn't reach 400w in Jayztwocents' video. I wouldn't expect any high overclocks or overvolting to work well though.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

snip

I don't have any hands on experience, but NVIDIA's website lists 500W as the minimum recommended power supply here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications  If you don't meet minimum specs, you could potentially void your warranty - I don't really know how NVIDIA would handle that situation.  Maybe not that extreme, but just something to be aware of.

That being said, Maxwell is known for its efficiency.  One of Linus and Luke's benchmark videos in particular show the GTX 970 pulling 305W overclocked under heavy load in Far Cry 3 (at 6:39):

In another video, they show a single 980 pulling 230W under a different benchmark/load (at 4:44):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnS0xWtoRzk

This may be sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but it could help you see wattages under different loads.  I think it's safe to say your system would be stable under average use, but if you want to go for an aggressive overclock and play very demanding titles with heavy workloads, you might should go ahead and step up to a higher wattage PSU.  Plus, you won't have to worry so much about "tipping the power scale" by adding components or any future overclocking.

What are you talking about. The i3 will easily handle the r7 260X with no limitations/bottlenecks.

(I know I'm not supposed to talk about it but...)

I3 are for gaming too.

You don't need an i7, just i5.

Also 430w is fine

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You don't need an i7, just i5.

Also 430w is fine

Well do you think it worth the extra 100 bucks if you do livestream and recording? do think the i7 would be better for that?

Magical Pineapples

Well do you think it worth the extra 100 bucks if you do livestream and recording? do think the i7 would be better for that?

Possible, depending on how much you do

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

A 500w would be better and the i3 wont bottleneck the 970

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I would not run a GTX 970 off the EVGA 430W. Linus's build used a CX430 (most likely CX V3) which is much better quality then the non-Bronze EVGAs

"Rawr XD"