needs some advice.

nicobico

Hello guys.

this is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zwDT99

I know the case is horrible and planning to change it very soon. Ive owned this PC for about a year and upgrade from 4gb to 8gb and from a radeon 7770 to a gtx 960. But I think its about time to change my motherboard. Im talking a full ATX mobo with overclocking features. I also plan to add a SSD as its very much needed in any build. 

All those thoughts aside. I wish i had the money to upgrade my CPU but going for an i7 is just way over my capable price range so Ive decided I will invest in many parts including the ones i mentioned above and a water cooler for my cpu so I can overclock that bad boy. 

I only have one concern. I started to read up on cpu's and people mentioned locked/unlocked cpu and I don't quite understand what that means. 

So my questions are what pieces (mobo, SSD, water cooler) you guys recommend. 

Im down for anything but would like to keep mobo under 150$ as Im only 15 and need to work in between school time to earn the money. 

Thanks in advance!!

Going for an i7 is a waste of money unless you plan to use the extra threads available - a 4670K or 4690K will have plenty of horsepower.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

For i3s, i5s, and i7s, K series processors such as the i5 4690K can be overclocked, whereas non-k series processors such as the i5 4690 cannot (or at least not as much or as easily).

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What are you going to do with that machine of yours? i5 4430 is a very capable CPU and if you're just going to play games on it and nothing CPU intensive, there's no need to even upgrade it.

Biggest performance gain would be an SSD. Everything will feel much snappier and smooth.

Personally I would keep that cpu and mobo until skylake is here and decide what to do. Also, probably a higher quality PSU.

Locked means the multiplier is locked, so you can't overclock it. With that being said, a higher end motherboard won't be much of an upgrade unless you're planning to get a K (unlocked processor) down the road to OC.

If you had to choose, I would say get this and then save the rest of the money for an unlocked CPU.

For i3s, i5s, and i7s, K series processors such as the i5 4690K can be overclocked, whereas non-k series processors such as the i5 4690 cannot (or at least not as much or as easily).

Ah i see... Makes sense so would it be best to buy simply an K series processor then later on upgrade the mobo?

What are you going to do with that machine of yours? i5 4430 is a very capable CPU and if you're just going to play games on it and nothing CPU intensive, there's no need to even upgrade it.

Biggest performance gain would be an SSD. Everything will feel much snappier and smooth.

Personally I would keep that cpu and mobo until skylake is here and decide what to do. Also, probably a higher quality PSU.

Well really id love to get into the video production industry. But for now I'm nothing close to that dream. 

What is skylake? Might be a complete noob question but have never even heard of it.

It would make sense to do it that way, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your current processor is pretty powerful and is definitely more than enough for 99.9% of games right now. I would put the $150 to a stronger GPU or SSD.

Ah I think thats what ill do. Thank you !! 

Going for an i7 is a waste of money unless you plan to use the extra threads available - a 4670K or 4690K will have plenty of horsepower.

Sorry if this sounds ignorant... But what would the extra threads help with?

Video editing, some games(namely Battlefield 3 where the 4770K was able to gain 10FPS over the 4670K), and scientific projects perhaps.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well really id love to get into the video production industry. But for now I'm nothing close to that dream. 

What is skylake? Might be a complete noob question but have never even heard of it.

You said you're 15. I'm guessing you won't be doing video production full time until a few years later. An i5 (your current processor) would be enough for you to learn and get your hands dirty. By the time you become a profesional, whatever CPU you get today will be outdated anyway, not good right?

Skylake is the next generation Intel CPU architecture. Usually newer = better. We will see.

More threads = more work done in the same amount of time.

Imagine this: threads = wood chucks. 8 wood chucks would chuck more wood than 4 wood chucks in the same amount of time. Lol.

You said you're 15. I'm guessing you won't be doing video production full time until a few years later. An i5 (your current processor) would be enough for you to learn and get your hands dirty. By the time you become a profesional, whatever CPU you get today will be outdated anyway, not good right?

Skylake is the next generation Intel CPU architecture. Usually newer = better. We will see.

More threads = more work done in the same amount of time.

Imagine this: threads = wood chucks. 8 wood chucks would chuck more wood than 4 wood chucks in the same amount of time. Lol.

ah awesome. thanks man! Great help. Awesome analogy by the way haha.