Help on buying a projecter

tom25

hello everyone im just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers or advice on buying a projector, like iv heard that if you have to replace the lamps alot is this true, DLP or LCD witch one is the best to go with, any help will be massively appreciated 

wow the price on that, my budget is about £600-£800 and thats good news

The Epson Home Cinema 3000 seems pretty nice, it has a super powerful lamp and a 3D mode as well.

thanks for the recommendations guys

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I have the slightly older version of this projector, the Optoma 131xe, and I will also vouch for the quality of this brand / line of projectors, fantastic projectors, you can't go wrong!

I have the slightly older version of this projector, the Optoma 131xe, and I will also vouch for the quality of this brand / line of projectors, fantastic projectors, you can't go wrong!

so guys im currently using a 50 inch 720p tv, how will the picture quality compare to a 1080p projector. i have been looking at these two Optoma HD26 and Epson EH-TW5200 and can i ask you guys how long have you used projectors and how often have you had to replace the lamps in them

so guys im currently using a 50 inch 720p tv, how will the picture quality compare to a 1080p projector. i have been looking at these two Optoma HD26 and Epson EH-TW5200 and can i ask you guys how long have you used projectors and how often have you had to replace the lamps in them

It depends on too many things to give you a good answer to your first question, e.g the main things are:   in what light conditions are you going to be using your projector, what lumens (how bright) is your projector of choice and what is display technology utilised by the projector?

But if I was to compare my projector to any of the 720p TV'd i've owned (none quite 50") I would say that my projector would beat them around the corner and back, granted the colour's are slightly better on a TV and the brightness (depending on technology in use) but the sheer size and increase of quality I believe you will get off a 1080p 50" plus sized screen is phenomenal, i mean you are immersed by the thing.

I've currently had my projector 1.5 years, used about 1.5K hours on the bulb and its still going strong, through estimates of the bulb recommended bulb life in there I think I can get another 4K hours yet out of it atleast, I could probably up that by a good thousand or two if I reduced the brightness, but meh.

Out of the two projectors you are looking at I would look at this.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?add=8302&add=8513

Overall look at the throw ratio (how far off the wall you need to be for what image size), the brightness (not so much contrast as the units written are 'false' in a sense you would never use that ratio in real world use.), the input / output pannel and see what suits you best. 

Hope this helps. 

It depends on too many things to give you a good answer to your first question, e.g the main things are:   in what light conditions are you going to be using your projector, what lumens (how bright) is your projector of choice and what is display technology utilised by the projector?

But if I was to compare my projector to any of the 720p TV'd i've owned (none quite 50") I would say that my projector would beat them around the corner and back, granted the colour's are slightly better on a TV and the brightness (depending on technology in use) but the sheer size and increase of quality I believe you will get off a 1080p 50" plus sized screen is phenomenal, i mean you are immersed by the thing.

I've currently had my projector 1.5 years, used about 1.5K hours on the bulb and its still going strong, through estimates of the bulb recommended bulb life in there I think I can get another 4K hours yet out of it atleast, I could probably up that by a good thousand or two if I reduced the brightness, but meh.

Out of the two projectors you are looking at I would look at this.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?add=8302&add=8513

Overall look at the throw ratio (how far off the wall you need to be for what image size), the brightness (not so much contrast as the units written are 'false' in a sense you would never use that ratio in real world use.), the input / output pannel and see what suits you best. 

Hope this helps. 

for my light conditions will be black out blinds with thick curtains with all lights off and i will be projecting on a 100 inch screen, as for lumens the optoma has 3200 and the epson has 2000 and would you tell me witch one do you think is better

Kinda off to the side, soon laser projectors will be much lower in price. But laser lasts much longer than DLP Lamps. 

And, they are so bright that you can project on a black screen for a better picture. 

As for the projector choice, go for a better color gamut rather than brightness. It really pays off. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Kinda off to the side, soon laser projectors will be much lower in price. But laser lasts much longer than DLP Lamps. 

And, they are so bright that you can project on a black screen for a better picture. 

As for the projector choice, go for a better color gamut rather than brightness. It really pays off. 

so the epson one then because i have seen comparisons against a 1 chip dlp and it looks much more colorful and thanks for the input

so the epson one then 

Well, they don't say what the color gamut is, but the Optoma has a better contrast ratio. I mean more brightness is not bad. But colors are more important in a projector, TVs just have better color anyways. (Unless you are using a Sony laser projector) The Epson though seems to have a better panel with the 3LCD technology. I would go for the Epson. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Well, they don't say what the color gamut is, but the Optoma has a better contrast ratio. I mean more brightness is not bad. But colors are more important in a projector, TVs just have better color anyways. (Unless you are using a Sony laser projector) The Epson though seems to have a better panel with the 3LCD technology. I would go for the Epson. 

that was the one i was leaning towards, thanks so much

DLP is the better technology yo get a much crisper image and far better contrast the optima projector your looking at is the older version of the one I showed you you it has slightly better brightness (lumens) and supposedly a slightly better image. If thats is true then it will knock your current 1080p screen out the park. You can't beat the image you get from a good projector imo the only downside is you have to become familiar with your own projector in way of setting it up. By this I mean the out of the box settings will not show of the true potential of the projectors image quality but these things you will come to know simply by playing about with it for a week till you get it too your liking I personly turn the colour saturation for rgb up to 5 and the image really pops out there are a whole bunch of other settings your going to want to mess around with but it would take too long to list them and it's really up to the user.   

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

DLP is the better technology yo get a much crisper image and far better contrast the optima projector your looking at is the older version of the one I showed you you it has slightly better brightness (lumens) and supposedly a slightly better image. If thats is true then it will knock your current 1080p screen out the park. You can't beat the image you get from a good projector imo the only downside is you have to become familiar with your own projector in way of setting it up. By this I mean the out of the box settings will not show of the true potential of the projectors image quality but these things you will come to know simply by playing about with it for a week till you get it too your liking I personly turn the colour saturation for rgb up to 5 and the image really pops out there are a whole bunch of other settings your going to want to mess around with but it would take too long to list them and it's really up to the user.

So is the optoma gt1080 newer than the other one

BenQ TH681 best price/performance (at least in germany)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

So is the optoma gt1080 newer than the other one

The optima hd141x is newer than the hd26 yes. The 141x is the revised version They are identical looks wise the 26 has a slightly brighter lumens count but I think I would/I did pick the 141x over the 26 as the differences are so slight that I don't think you could notice them. I think the differences are merely texas instruments getting everything locked in. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

The optima hd141x is newer than the hd26 yes. The 141x is the revised version They are identical looks wise the 26 has a slightly brighter lumens count but I think I would/I did pick the 141x over the 26 as the differences are so slight that I don't think you could notice them. I think the differences are merely texas instruments getting everything locked in. 

so your recommendation is the hd141x, after looking though google for a bit i like what im seeing. do you know what the differences are between those two or are they that small.

so your recommendation is the hd141x, after looking though google for a bit i like what im seeing. do you know what the differences are between those two or are they that small.

Yeah that would be my recommendation as its much cheaper and the only difference is the 26 has a slightly better contrast ratio and brightness but not so much that you would notice the difference. Plus the bulbs for the 141x are very cheap but I think the average lifetime for a single bulb is around 5 years. Plus if you get the 141x I can give you tips on how to set it up colour correction wise etc :)

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Yeah that would be my recommendation as its much cheaper and the only difference is the 26 has a slightly better contrast ratio and brightness but not so much that you would notice the difference. Plus the bulbs for the 141x are very cheap but I think the average lifetime for a single bulb is around 5 years. Plus if you get the 141x I can give you tips on how to set it up colour correction wise etc :)

thanks man, il drop you a message when i get it back 

Optoma HD141X (best quality for the price) or BenQ W1070 (is a little more expensive but has a little better quality).