Gelid 4 way pwm splitter wont speed ctrl

MammothJerk
Go to solution Solved by Micky Love,

I can confirm, only the CPU header is PWM...

from Gigabyte:

post-186032-0-65604500-1429549014.jpg

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended.html

I have 4 Noctua NF-F12, iPPC-2000, PWM, 120mm fans connected to the 4 pinouts, the molex connector is connected to the PSU and the splitter pwm cable is plugged in to my motherboard fanheader 3.

My motherboard is the g1.sniper 5

Ive tried changing the fanspeed in the bios but the only 2 modes i can get them in is fullspeed or off.

The fan controller in the gigabyte appcenter software i can change the speed with the manual slider but the fanspeed doesnt change and the slider goes back to fullspeed right away (yes i hit apply)

Am i doing something wrong here? The 2000 rpm fans are really loud so if all else fails i guess ill have to go get some low noise adapters.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended.html

I have 4 Noctua NF-F12, iPPC-2000, PWM, 120mm fans connected to the 4 pinouts, the molex connector is connected to the PSU and the splitter pwm cable is plugged in to my motherboard fanheader 3.

My motherboard is the g1.sniper 5

Ive tried changing the fanspeed in the bios but the only 2 modes i can get them in is fullspeed or off.

The fan controller in the gigabyte appcenter software i can change the speed with the manual slider but the fanspeed doesnt change and the slider goes back to fullspeed right away (yes i hit apply)

Am i doing something wrong here? The 2000 rpm fans are really loud so if all else fails i guess ill have to go get some low noise adapters.

Try plugging it into the CPU header the other fan headers on the motherboard may be 4 pin but may not provide PWM control since it's not a true 4 pin header. 

What he said. Many motherboards have 4-pin headers that actually use voltage control rather than PWM. The result is that the fans get the 12V from the PSU and no signal from that 4th pin.

The fan uses 1.2W (0.1A) maximum. Try finding out how much each header is allowed to provide. If it's more than 4.8W (0.4A), you can use 3 regular Y-splitters instead.

I'm pretty sure it'll be close to 12W (1A), seeing as that's been the norm for a while now. Still, when in doubt, get in touch with Gigabyte.

As for controlling the fans, that'll probably work better once you connect them via splitters. Then the motherboard will notice that there are in fact fans using the power (right now it doesn't notice that because they get their power from the PSU). Even then, Speedfan may or may not provide better results.

Gigabytes boards have really bad PWM support. Only CPU and CPU_OPT headers have full support for it and still no support for Speedfan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

from Gigabyte:

post-186032-0-65604500-1429549014.jpg

Try plugging it into the CPU header the other fan headers on the motherboard may be 4 pin but may not provide PWM control since it's not a true 4 pin header. 

What he said. Many motherboards have 4-pin headers that actually use voltage control rather than PWM. The result is that the fans get the 12V from the PSU and no signal from that 4th pin.

The fan uses 1.2W (0.1A) maximum. Try finding out how much each header is allowed to provide. If it's more than 4.8W (0.4A), you can use 3 regular Y-splitters instead.

I'm pretty sure it'll be close to 12W (1A), seeing as that's been the norm for a while now. Still, when in doubt, get in touch with Gigabyte.

As for controlling the fans, that'll probably work better once you connect them via splitters. Then the motherboard will notice that there are in fact fans using the power (right now it doesn't notice that because they get their power from the PSU). Even then, Speedfan may or may not provide better results.

Gigabytes boards have really bad PWM support. Only CPU and CPU_OPT headers have full support for it and still no support for Speedfan.

from Gigabyte:

alright tyvm for the help, looks like the cpu header does indeed work :D