Air or Water

Snake21

does liquid cooling cpu and gpu makes a big diffence in heat?

does liquid cooling cpu and gpu makes a big diffence in heat?

Liquid cooling mainly helps get the heat out of the system immediately or access to the coldest possible air for performance. You can however get a large air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 which is comparable to many AIO liquid coolers.

Liquid cooling mainly helps get the heat out of the system immediately or access to the coldest possible air for performance. You can however get a large air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 which is comparable to many AIO liquid coolers.

Explained perfectly.

OP: When compared to my former cooling, the CM Hyper 212 Evo, my H100i grants me a 10c improvement in stress tests and up to a 20c improvement while gaming. When compared to a Noctua NH-D15 on the other hand, the difference is marginal. So since they are around the same price, it's really preferential.

As for GPU cooling, Liquid is significantly better.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

It can, particularly for the GPU. big CPU towers are capable of roughly the same heat transfer rates as water. but the GPUs have relatively basic cooling systems. and as such benefit far more from water cooling (or even AIO cooling thanks to the Kraken G10).

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Not necessarily. 

1e4b6c875cc97077bc87f758bd5d9093.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Not necessarily. 

That is flat out bad ass...

But how would you fit another on the CPU? I suppose you'd have to have a Sli/Xfire Mobo and run the GPU in one of the lower PCI-E Slots? And I sure hope you've got something holding that card up. lol

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

I switched from an AIO water loop to the Noctua NH D15 and it was actually a sizable improvement.  I have an HAF case with several Noctua S12A case fans to really maximize the effectiveness of air cooling.  I was using a CM Seidon 120M, and honestly it did a very good job for having a small radiator.  It's a personal preference thing, but for me it was about durability.  I don't have to worry about the radiator pump dying on me, and I don't have to worry about coolant leaks.  Granted the AIO's out there are really great at minimizing this from happening, but there's always that chance.  The NH D15 carries a 6 year warranty and Noctua generally gives free mounting hardware to owners when new socket boards come out.  The quality of their components are second to none, and I personally really like the way they look.  Many others prefer the clean lines of an AIO loop and I can totally see that as something to consider too.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

That is flat out bad ass...

But how would you fit another on the CPU? I suppose you'd have to have a Sli/Xfire Mobo and run the GPU in one of the lower PCI-E Slots? And I sure hope you've got something holding that card up. lol

It's just a sneak peek for the time being. I'll be coming out with a finished build log eventually..

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I switched from an AIO water loop to the Noctua NH D15 and it was actually a sizable improvement.  I have an HAF case with several Noctua S12A case fans to really maximize the effectiveness of air cooling.  I was using a CM Seidon 120M, and honestly it did a very good job for having a small radiator.  It's a personal preference thing, but for me it was about durability.  I don't have to worry about the radiator pump dying on me, and I don't have to worry about coolant leaks.  Granted the AIO's out there are really great at minimizing this from happening, but there's always that chance.  The NH D15 carries a 6 year warranty and Noctua generally gives free mounting hardware to owners when new socket boards come out.  The quality of their components are second to none, and I personally really like the way they look.  Many others prefer the clean lines of an AIO loop and I can totally see that as something to consider too.

See, I like both. I love the clean look, but also love the brute force look of a massive heatsink.

Mine looks so girly:

post-211843-0-59679800-1429509834_thumb.

You have a nice, clean rig.  I love the Lightning edition cards from MSI, wish my 970 could have been that flavor!

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

It's just a sneak peek for the time being. I'll be coming out with a finished build log eventually..

I'm most curious about how you plan to have that thing supported!

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

I'm most curious about how you plan to have that thing supported!

G2D6dEg.jpg

G2D6dEg.jpg

Teselecta, got it.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Not necessarily. 

Is that the dh-14?

It can't be... according to the size of that thing lol.

Explained perfectly.

OP: When compared to my former cooling, the CM Hyper 212 Evo, my H100i grants me a 10c improvement in stress tests and up to a 20c improvement while gaming. When compared to a Noctua NH-D15 on the other hand, the difference is marginal. So since they are around the same price, it's really preferential.

Also the fact it allow some small motherboard to use all the ram slots. That Noctua D15 is huge and the color may not suit everyone. 

Magical Pineapples

Is that the dh-14?

It can't be... according to the size of that thing lol.

No, it's a NH-U9B but I'm looking to replace it with a larger heatsink like the U12P.