Safe 4770k Temps?

My buddy just OCEd my 4770k im currently reading a max of 77c while GTA5 is running, are these numbers to much or should I dial it back a bit?

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

My buddy just OCEd my 4770k im currently reading a max of 77c while GTA5 is running, are these numbers to much or should I dial it back a bit?

That's fine, anything over 80oC and you should start worrying.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's fine, anything over 80oC and you should start worrying.

its unfortunately creeping up. im at 79 max right now. But thank you.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You're just posting that you overclocked your 4770K and getting x temps. We have no idea what your overclock is or how much voltage is being applied.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

its unfortunately creeping up. im at 79 max right now. But thank you.

You could always reduce the overclock a bit, though TBH thats not a bad temp, my i5 4440 is pushing 70oC atm, and its only 3.1GHz.

PMSL

4.4 @ 1.2 volts dont see that being retentive though I just wanna know if I should be concerned at the temps.

@Godlygamer23

System Specs

You could always reduce the overclock a bit, though TBH thats not a bad temp, my i5 4440 is pushing 70oC atm, and its only 3.1GHz.

sadly it just hit 80 lol gonna tone it down and get some better thermal paste and see if it helps later on.

System Specs

sadly it just hit 80 lol gonna tone it down and get some better thermal paste and see if it helps later on.

What cooler is being used?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

What cooler is being used?

h100i

System Specs

In all reality you don't actually need to overclock your i7 for quite a while, only when it starts to struggle with newer programs.

PMSL

4.4 @ 1.2 volts dont see that being retentive though I just wanna know if I should be concerned at the temps.

@Godlygamer23

The reason why I ask is because temperatures don't tell all. If you overclocked it to 3.7GHz and got 80C on all four cores using a high end cooler, that would be awful and something would obviously be wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The reason why I ask is because temperatures don't tell all. If you overclocked it to 3.7GHz and got 80C on all four cores using a high end cooler, that would be awful and something would obviously be wrong.

In all reality you don't actually need to overclock your i7 for quite a while, only when it starts to struggle with newer programs.

Ya I know but I got the h100i so I might as well use it.

understood, no no things seem to be ok in terms of how its performing. according to the guide my buddy was reading as he was OCing 1.25 is really the voltage you should have for that speed...so all seems to be well im just monitoring my temps as I use it.

System Specs

Hmm. I will have a look when I get new paste I dont know how its mounted NCIX did the build for me, but thank you.

System Specs

Hmm. I will have a look when I get new paste I dont know how its mounted NCIX did the build for me, but thank you.

Having spare thermal paste is good, but this is most likely a mounting issue.  Very common with LGA1150 and H100i's.  Thermal paste might help by 2-5C, but your temps should be in the 50-60 range, which points to mounting.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Having spare thermal paste is good, but this is most likely a mounting issue.  Very common with LGA1150 and H100i's.  Thermal paste might help by 2-5C, but your temps should be in the 50-60 range, which points to mounting.

im not to familier with mounting brackets if im honest. could I tell if this is an issue without removing the bracket? 

System Specs

im not to familier with mounting brackets if im honest. could I tell if this is an issue without removing the bracket? 

Possibly, if it is very loose to the touch.  What is happening is there isn't enough mounting pressure between the IHS and the AIO's copper plate.

Possibly, if it is very loose to the touch.  What is happening is there isn't enough mounting pressure between the IHS and the AIO's copper plate.

Ok would I be looking at the back side of the mobo for this I assume or front side? if its front side there is no way in hell I will see without removing it all lol.

System Specs

Ok would I be looking at the back side of the mobo for this I assume or front side? if its front side there is no way in hell I will see without removing it all lol.

Best way to test is to start up a program that you know loads up the CPU.  Like GTAV.  Let it warm up to the 70s, then press your thumb onto the AIO and see if temps drop in the next few minutes.  If they do, then its a clear mounting problem.  If they don't, then it could be something else.  But lets first rule off the mounting pressure because this is an incredibly common issue with H100is and LGA1150.

Best way to test is to start up a program that you know loads up the CPU.  Like GTAV.  Let it warm up to the 70s, then press your thumb onto the AIO and see if temps drop in the next few minutes.  If they do, then its a clear mounting problem.  If they don't, then it could be something else.  But lets first rule off the mounting pressure because this is an incredibly common issue with H100is and LGA1150.

ok just so im clear im pressing on the top of the cooler down onto the cpu?

System Specs

ok just so im clear im pressing on the top of the cooler down onto the cpu?

Yes. 

Press down on this:

corsair-h100i-install-2.jpg

Not lightly, but not too firm.  Use your best judgement.  You just want to help it make contact with the CPU.  Keep pressing down for two or three minutes, hopefully temperatures will drop, and that means mounting is your problem.  If it is, then follow those guides and pictures I posted above.

Yes. 

Press down on this:

Okay thanks for all the help.

System Specs

Yes. 

Press down on this:

Not lightly, but not too firm.  Use your best judgement.  You just want to help it make contact with the CPU.  Keep pressing down for two or three minutes, hopefully temperatures will drop, and that means mounting is your problem.  If it is, then follow those guides and pictures I posted above.

maybe a degree or 2 drop

took a photo if it helps there is maybe a 1mm gap there?

Wx8fLNV.jpg

System Specs

maybe a degree or 2 drop

took a photo if it helps there is maybe a 1mm gap there?

The photo didn't really help.

Hmm... I was hoping for a more substantial drop.  Were you pressing down firmly?  What did you use to load up the processor?  Some of these processors do run hot, although 80C during GTAV with an H100i seems warm.  Is the pump plugged in and running at 100%?  Should be around 2300rpm.  How fast are the fans spinning?  What is ambient temperature?  How is the H100i mounted inside of your H440?

4.4Ghz @ 1.2v is a really nice OC, and voltage is well within reason. Delidding the Haswell processors has been popular because some of them just run very hot, I am really hoping that yours is not a part of that hot running batch, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

The photo didn't really help.

Hmm... I was hoping for a more substantial drop.  Were you pressing down firmly?  What did you use to load up the processor?  Some of these processors do run hot, although 80C during GTAV with an H100i seems warm.  Is the pump plugged in and running at 100%?  Should be around 2300rpm.  How fast are the fans spinning?  What is ambient temperature?  How is the H100i mounted inside of your H440?

4.4Ghz @ 1.2v is a really nice OC, and voltage is well within reason. Delidding the Haswell processors has been popular because some of them just run very hot, I am really hoping that yours is not a part of that hot running batch, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

I used GTA5 and OCCT hoping for a more consistent temp, unfortunately it wasn't. 

As forr pressure I was using my whole fist between the knuckles and pushing enough to tilt the case on 2 legs and its mounted on the top of the h440 with the fans on exhaust.

As for pressure I was using my whole fist between the knuckles  and pushing hard enough to tilt the case, the rad is mounted on the top of the h440

I have no idea what my pump running condition is cause corsair link is a POS and doesn't wanna tell me that. its not even appearing within the software, I will check AIDA64 and see if it tell me. fans ummm... it says "cpu 2320 rpm" I have 2 nf-f12s, 2 corsair silent SP120s on the rad and one corsair silent 140 on the rear the 140 was on a reducer but I just removed that. 

System Specs