[Finished] The silent cube: Pushing passive cooling to the limit with dual GTX 980 - [Update 21: Liquid Cristal Thermometer]

Gonna be doing any sort of undervolting?

Stubbed.

No the cooling is not designed that undervolting is required. I should even have a lillte rool for overclocking, as long I can stay under 500 watt.

But I don't like overclocking. The parts are powerful enough, and the performance gained compared to the additional power needed very smal. I konw some of you have an other opinion...

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update 18.5.2015:

The parts are slowly shoing up on my door. The heat sinks gets dispatched tomorrow and some electronic parts are also in shipping.

Today I got the metal sheets as well as 3 kg pure copper. I laid the GPU on the ground plate so you can see the size. The PC will have quite a smal footprint.

Next week I will start with heat transfer plate for the GPUs.

post-216771-0-28191000-1431975248_thumb.

post-216771-0-44425800-1431975251_thumb.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Make sure to download lots of rams for this one, so it can ruin extra better.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Smal news: I got the rest of the hardware (24.5.2015)

Lately I delayed the pruchase of my second GTX 980 in favour of an Intel 750. It is very fast even in a PCIE 2.0 slot (results: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/368455-intel-750-on-pci-e-20x4-still-worth-it/).

It looks like the Enermax Digifanless is completly coil whine free. The power consumtion in stress test is about 280 watt so I can add a second GTX 980 and still having a good marging to the maximum of 550 W.

Now the electronic works and the heat sinks will be delivered next Tuesday. Look like I can finally start building it....

post-216771-0-62305000-1432419381_thumb.

This is sick... Keep it coming

Smal news: I got the rest of the hardware (24.5.2015)

Lately I delayed the pruchase of my second GTX 980 in favour of an Intel 750. It is very fast even in a PCIE 2.0 slot (results: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/368455-intel-750-on-pci-e-20x4-still-worth-it/).

It looks like the Enermax Digifanless is completly coil whine free. The power consumtion in stress test is about 280 watt so I can add a second GTX 980 and still having a good marging to the maximum of 550 W.

Now the electronic works and the heat sinks will be delivered next Tuesday. Look like I can finally start building it....

attachicon.gif2015-05-24 00.14.18.jpg

what set of buttons is that

I always love seeing innovative builds on this site. I can't wait to see the final build!

what set of buttons is that

I use vandal-resistant-switches from DimasTech https://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Modding/Gehaeuse-Modding/Schalter-Taster/DimasTech-Vandalismusschalter-taster-16mm-Silverline-blau::19435.html?language=en&mli=1 with a diameter of 16mm

They were spared from my previous build.

Make sure to download lots of rams for this one, so it can ruin extra better.

When you buy RAM in the online store you "download" it into you shopping basket. Does this count as downloading RAM? ;)

I use vandal-resistant-switches from DimasTech https://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Modding/Gehaeuse-Modding/Schalter-Taster/DimasTech-Vandalismusschalter-taster-16mm-Silverline-blau::19435.html?language=en&mli=1 with a diameter of 16mm

They were spared from my previous build.

ah, so you made the reset switch+power switch cable yourself, very nice

ah, so you made the reset switch+power switch cable yourself, very nice

Well, in the last build I did it by myself. But I haven't got a soldering iron at home and I had to take everything to school to manufacture it, so it a quite a bit of work. Therefor I bougth predone cables this time because they are cheap (DimasTech 8032089001052).

Update 2: I got the heat sinks!

Today I got my almost 40 kg of beautiful black anodized heat sinks:

attachicon.gif2015-05-26 15.58.55.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-05-26 15.59.37.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-05-26 16.00.16.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-05-26 16.00.31.jpg

Gosh that looks soooo amazing :D

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

I just jumped on a new hype train yesterday: Useing peltier elements as a thermoelectric generator by takeing advantage of the Seebeck effect!

I know the efficiency is only ~1%, but it's just for fun. Because of the low heat conductivity I can't mount the elements directly on the CPU/GPU, so I will mount them on the big heat sink on the front (hot side) and cool them with the two smal heat sinks on each side. Therefor I can only expect a smal temperature difference (5 - 10 °C estimated), so I will get an oper circuit voltage of 50 - 300 mV per modul. Since I'm useing cheap 3 euro peltier modules I have no information about the thermoelectric generator characteristics.

But since I'm useing 10 modules and a low power LED needs only ~2 mW (1,8 volt, 1mA) I'm pretty confident I can at least illuminate some LEDs.

When the final measurements shows that I'm able to harvest >= 600 mW, I could even charge my smartphone on a slow rate (5V, 100mA) useing a boost converter.

Or do you know something amazing to do with up to 500 mW?

seriously, it's cool, but why?

Why not?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's actually quite hot.

Why do anything but eat, drink, sleep and breath?

Because you can.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

You answered the question by yourself: Becaus it's cool B)

Actually I have never used peltier elements and I think it's a nice way for energy harvesting and I like to play around with it. And I may can use the experience at work.

Also the elements are really cheap, so I don't care to much if it doeasn't have a "real" use.

Those Peltier devices can be tricky b.c. you have a variable source and the output power is really dependent on the load, but if all you're doing is some LEDs it sounds like a fun idea.

why not run dual psu to not have to worry about bumping up against the power limit. Although those things are not cheap.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why not?

it costs money. and electricity is cheap. and you are not going to do much with 0.6w. :P

It's actually quite hot.

badum..tssss.

You answered the question by yourself: Becaus it's cool B)

Actually I have never used peltier elements and I think it's a nice way for energy harvesting and I like to play around with it. And I may can use the experience at work.

Also the elements are really cheap, so I don't care to much if it doeasn't have a "real" use.

ok, then have fun with 0.6w i guess  :D