star citizen racing

Jarebear724

I am having a hard time understanding how to maneuver properly with a mouse and keyboard, say if i take a right turn the ship it self will drift left quite a bit, how do we stop that?

also any other tips would be appreciated. 

I am having a hard time understanding how to maneuver properly with a mouse and keyboard, say if i take a right turn the ship it self will drift left quite a bit, how do we stop that?

also any other tips would be appreciated. 

It's a tad tricky since there seems to be a lot of "drift" when racing. Try turning on COMSTAB? It's the equivalent of our modern day cars' traction control system.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

It's a tad tricky since there seems to be a lot of "drift" when racing. Try turning on COMSTAB? It's the equivalent of our modern day cars' traction control system.

I didn't even know that was a thing, thanks

It takes a while to get used to how your specific ship works. I highly recommend to read the manual, so you know about the flight modes and the keybindings.

COMSTAB is actually a bad idea, since it limits turning speed so you'll have a hard time targeting or even just tracking the next checkpoint.

The best way to eliminate drift is by boosting (left shift). Also turning further than you need to helps, too.

I recommend you start with 35-50% throttle and do some rounds to get a hang of the track. Once you know where the checkpoints are increase the speed until you can do a round at full throttle without crashing.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

The game really just takes some getting used to in terms of physics. your brain is probably trying to fly it like its a jet but its not so it wont perform that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Turn off comstab and G-Safe for one...

When you turn, you'll see a little circle thingy moving around.  That's the direction the ship is actually going, it's similar to the way the balance ball on a real aircrafts turn indicator works, but not quite the same.  So when you turn, the ship will drift in the direction that you were going before the turn, and eventually go where you want it to.  To fix this, just boost through your turns.  Once you do it a bunch you'll learn how much you can turn and how quickly without blacking/redding out.

Also, having a HOTAS really helps with racing, or at least it does with me.  Mouse and keyboard is better for dogfighting ATM, but the HOTAS is much better for racing.

Oh, and remember to always take shortcuts.