Blue screen - can't get in safe mode

JorenBus
Go to solution Solved by JorenBus,

did you boot to safe mode with networking?

You should only resort to reinstalling your OS as a last measure, you could have recommended running startup repair through a windows install disc/USB

I somehow got it to work by pressing some sort of option called 'boot windows to previous settings' or something like that. My PC is in dutch, so I'm not sure if it's translated like that.

Anyway, that's how I fixed it, and I then fixed the internet problem by completely removing the ethernet driver with the CD that came with my mobo, then reinstalling it.

It's fixed now, but does anyone have an idea what's the reason behind it?

I did not see any hardware flaws, and I didn't install anything fishy the last couple of weeks.

Hello all,

I'm having a little problem at the moment. I'm getting the blue screen of death, but I can't even start windows in safe mode, I still get the blue screen. I didn't install anything lately and I have no idea how this is possible. I completely upgraded my PC 2 months ago, apart from my RAM and HDD.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

reinstall windows and try again.

With reinstall you mean that everything gets deleted?...

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

With reinstall you mean that everything gets deleted?...

connect hard drive to different pc and get your files off

I somehow got it to work again.

I don't have any internet connection though, while the cable is plugged in. The LED doesn't lit up at the connection point like it should be. Any ideas?

I somehow got it to work again.

I don't have any internet connection though, while the cable is plugged in. The LED doesn't lit up at the connection point like it should be. Any ideas?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

reinstall windows and try again.

You should only resort to reinstalling your OS as a last measure, you could have recommended running startup repair through a windows install disc/USB

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I somehow got it to work by pressing some sort of option called 'boot windows to previous settings' or something like that. My PC is in dutch, so I'm not sure if it's translated like that.

Anyway, that's how I fixed it, and I then fixed the internet problem by completely removing the ethernet driver with the CD that came with my mobo, then reinstalling it.

I did not see any hardware flaws, and I didn't install anything fishy the last couple of weeks.

ah last known good config

but then again drivers can go wronky

esp outdated drivers

update the drivers to the one provided by Gigabyte website not from the CD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

ah last known good config

but then again drivers can go wronky

esp outdated drivers

update the drivers to the one provided by Gigabyte website not from the CD

Well that's the weird part, as soon as I got my new mobo (2 months ago) I immediately downloaded the newest drivers from the Gigabyte website.

Well that's the weird part, as soon as I got my new mobo (2 months ago) I immediately downloaded the newest drivers from the Gigabyte website.

hmm 

how old are the RAM thou?

what were you doing when the PC BSOD?

hmm 

how old are the RAM thou?

what were you doing when the PC BSOD?

My RAM is already pretty old, that came with my PC, which is about 5 years old.

Well I was just gaming a bit, turned off my PC, booted up again an hour later, then boom blue screen

My RAM is already pretty old, that came with my PC, which is about 5 years old.

Well I was just gaming a bit, turned off my PC, booted up again an hour later, then boom blue screen

do a MemTest

is this from a X58 rig?

do a MemTest

is this from a X58 rig?

My previous mobo had 1156 socket

My previous mobo had 1156 socket

ok the BlueScreen may be related to RAM or something else

just do a mem check and HDD check using CrystalDiskInfo

ok the BlueScreen may be related to RAM or something else

just do a mem check and HDD check using CrystalDiskInfo

Did a memory check thru windows: no problems found.

Also no problems found with the CrystalDiskinfo.

See the screenshot, that one is from my HDD, the one next to it is from my SSD (boot drive), which is also working 100% correctly.

post-187087-0-62434500-1429529827.png

See the screenshot, that one is from my HDD, the one next to it is from my SSD (boot drive), which is also working 100% correctly.

attachicon.gifhallo.png

run the Memtext from the tester from Memtest which boots into DOS like UI

hallo.png

If memtest86 is a little daunting (it can be if you've never used it before) an easy way to use it is to download Linux Mint. Set it up on a USB stick (Rufus works great for creating the bootable iso) and when the Mint boot up options come up there is a dedicated metest86 you can run.

Start to finish (including downloading a Mint distro, any of the four works) takes less than a half hour.

www.linuxmint.com/ <- Mint

https://rufus.akeo.ie/ <- Rufus

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

run the Memtext from the tester from Memtest which boots into DOS like UI

I tried that, but I don't see the USB as a boot option in my BIOS (gigabyte) anywhere.

I tried that, but I don't see the USB as a boot option in my BIOS (gigabyte) anywhere.

use F9 right after the BIOS splash screen

use F9 right after the BIOS splash screen

Then I just get some system information.

I got the blue screen again today, but fixed it again. This is getting annoying.

Then I just get some system information.

I got the blue screen again today, but fixed it again. This is getting annoying.

what is the key use for selecting boot options?

is it F10?

what is the key use for selecting boot options?

is it F10?

When I press F10 I come into a screen that says 'boot sequence' indeed.

I have to type something in there, right?

When I press F10 I come into a screen that says 'boot sequence' indeed.

I have to type something in there, right?

can you select the device to boot to?

eg your HDD, DVD drive or USB?

can you select the device to boot to?

eg your HDD, DVD drive or USB?

No, I only see the following screen: (it's in dutch)

post-187087-0-89112300-1429614641_thumb.