240mm Rad enough for cooling CPU+GPU? Also, which rad?

I'm looking to upgrade to watercooling, as to get decent temps on my GPU and in my case, I have 7 fans installed, and I realized water cooling was a more efficient and more quiet solution. I am, however, on a limited budget. My case is the Fractal Design Arc Midi. 

My CPU is currently overclocked to 4.2ghz, reach max temp of 70 C during a 16-hour prime95 run, at 1.16-1.17 volts. My GPU is overclocked using GPU boost to 1189mhz, and with my new fan setup, I get 70-73C max temps during 2 hour sessions of Shogun 2, one of my most graphically demanding games. The Witcher 2 gets the same temps, as does Skyrim with heavy visual mods/ENB. 

I'm hoping, along with the quieter sound, to get lower temps; I'd be happy with losing 20C off both my GPU and CPU max temps, however I don't know if this is realistic with my proposed setup. My budget is $350, although if I must, I will go over that, but to no more than $420. 

Here are the options I'm considering: 

XSPC Raystorm EX240 w/D5 Vario pump/res combo, $280 

XSPC Raystorm EX240 w/DDC pump/res combo, $230

XSPC Raystorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercooling Kit w/ EX420 Radiator/D5 Pump/Res, $290

The main thing I'm worried about with the kit that has the DDC pump is that the DDC pump isn't that good. The EX240 is $50 more, but once again, I don't know if the pump is worth it. And the main reason I'm throwing the EX420 with the 360mm rad in there is because I'm worried 240mm won't be enough. 

Which pump would suit my needs best? I'll be getting, if not right away, this XSPC GTX 680 waterblock for my GTX 670 (which uses a reference 680 PCB), unless that's not very good and you guys suggest something else. 

I was thinking that if I wasn't happy with the cooling a 240mm rad was giving me for CPU+GPU, I could simply add a $40-$50 single 120mm rad to put in the back rear fan position of my case. That would help right? The radiators don't individually cool each component? 

Also, I'm confused with ID, OD of tubing, barb/compression sizes, and thread sizes. Which have to be compatible with which? I need to know this for when I order one of the kits, it asks me to choose, and I just want to make sure the kit will be compatible with whatever waterblock I get. 

quick answer to your radiator question - no, that is not enough to support a CPU/GPU

loop overclocked (minimal as you have).

your temperature performance comes from the combination of radiator(s) (build style

and construction), cooling fans (static pressure, air volume and quietness), pump

flow, and ability to transfer the heat device into the coolant into the radiator(s), into

the area. to say you will get XX° drop in temperature will be untruthful. guess-timate

wise we'd get it rather close or in the ballpark.

Start Here:

Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Water Cooling FAQ - Some Basic Q&A

Ghost's Low Budget Water Cooling Loop Plan

my experience is for a CPU/GPU loop requires:

1x360x 60 radiator or 2x 240x 60 radiators this should give excellent cooling performance

as well as a quite rig.

the Arc Midi can support the 360, but will need a lot of modifications to accommodate.

the Midi can support a single 240x 60 in the roof and 240/280x 60 in the front. this can

be done with minimal modifications.

360 w/240 rads:

9759797.jpg

2x 240x 60 rads w/HDD support

airdeano

No it wont be. :) Do you have other mounting options aside from the 240? :P 

What case will you be using?

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

No it wont be. Do you have other mounting options aside from the 240?

What case will you be using?

My case is the Fractal Design Arc Midi. 

airdeano

Yeah, I can't mod it that heavily at all. Someone on Tom's hardware said I should be able to get that 360 rad in if I take out the 5.25 inch bays, but even then, that's a bit much for me. I'm not going to use power tools or anything like that. 

So basically you're saying that without heavy modifications, I can't watercool both my GPU and CPU in this case? 

quick answer to your radiator question - no, that is not enough to support a CPU/GPU

loop overclocked (minimal as you have).

your temperature performance comes from the combination of radiator(s) (build style

and construction), cooling fans (static pressure, air volume and quietness), pump

flow, and ability to transfer the heat device into the coolant into the radiator(s), into

the area. to say you will get XX° drop in temperature will be untruthful. guess-timate

wise we'd get it rather close or in the ballpark.

Start Here:

Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Water Cooling FAQ - Some Basic Q&A

Ghost's Low Budget Water Cooling Loop Plan

my experience is for a CPU/GPU loop requires:

1x360x 60 radiator or 2x 240x 60 radiators this should give excellent cooling performance

as well as a quite rig.

the Arc Midi can support the 360, but will need a lot of modifications to accommodate.

the Midi can support a single 240x 60 in the roof and 240/280x 60 in the front. this can

be done with minimal modifications.

360 w/240 rads:

9759797.jpg

2x 240x 60 rads w/HDD support

airdeano

Also, I'm not looking to get ULTIMATE performance in terms of temps. I'd be happy with maxs in the 50s or low 60s for the CPU and GPU, to be honest. The main reason I want to go to watercooling is for the quiet, and for the easier installation of components -- that NH-D14 is a bitch to get around. 

Yeah, I can't mod it that heavily at all. Someone on Tom's hardware said I should be able to get that 360 rad in if I take out the 5.25 inch bays, but even then, that's a bit much for me. I'm not going to use power tools or anything like that. 

So basically you're saying that without heavy modifications, I can't watercool both my GPU and CPU in this case? 

with a single 240 nopes. :)

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

with a single 240 nopes. :)

What about a 240 with a 120 in the loop as well?

What about a 240 with a 120 in the loop as well?

Maybe. is it relatively warm where you live? :P 

Maybe. is it relatively warm where you live? :P

No. During the summer, outside temps avg 25-35 C, but I have a window air conditioner, so the room where my PC is usually stays between 24-26C. 

Also, in this video, the reviewer got pretty good temps with the RX360 kit (360mm rad) (video starts at relevant point):

Couldn't I replicate that with just adding a 120mm rad in the case? Along with the 240 rad that is.

No. During the summer, outside temps avg 25-35 C, but I have a window air conditioner, so the room where my PC is usually stays between 24-26C. 

Also, in this video, the reviewer got pretty good temps with the RX360 kit (360mm rad) (video starts at relevant point):

Couldn't I replicate that with just adding a 120mm rad in the case? 

You could. What you could do is 240 > cpu > 120 > GPU> pump > res. :)

Rule of thumb for rads is 120mm for each component plus an extra 120mm. So or recommend getting a 360mm or an extra 120 with the 240mm

surely 1 water loop but with 2 mini loops should work eg

rad/pump>gpu block(monsoon 90 deg fitting)>gpu out>rad 1                       

> monsoon> cpu block> rad 2>monsoon2(rad1 out)

monsoon2<rad 2>back to res

if it makes sense :wacko: