What is wrong with Noctua as case fans?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Thanks for the answers guys.

But I just want to ask this. Even though the NF-F12 is a static pressure-optimised fan, is it still better than a CoolerMaster Silencio airflow fan at the same RPM?

LinusTechTips did a video where they replaced the stock case fans with Noctua static pressure fans and the temps did went down, and they weren't airflow fans. So are pressure-optimised fans better than airflow fans for case cooling (even though airflow fans are designed specifically for case cooling)? (Yes Noctua pressure fans are expensive, but lets just ignore the cost and assume the same RPM)

Again, rpm isn't a good comparison as it really doesn't matter. Performance/noise is the better comparison. 

I'm not sure how exactly the Silencio FP120 performs as it's relatively new and there hasn't been many tests of them yet.

http://www.dvtests.com/cooler-master-silencio-fp-120-3pin-and-fp-120-pwm-test-and-review/

More or less my educated guess so do take it with a spork of salt:

From my initial impressions, it seems like the FP120 is more static pressure optimized and more reliant on rpm than the NF-F12. At much lower speeds, the NF-F12 would probably perform better while being quieter and the FP120 should excel where static pressure is needed and very low noise is less of a concern (basically at mid to higher rpm comparisons). 

I'd guess it boils down to the FP120 performing better where air needs to be moved around a wall and noise isn't a concern and the NF-F12 performing better when low noise is the objective and air needs to be shoved in the direction the fan is facing.

Also, if noise is not a concern at all, the NF-F12 should perform quite a bit better at full speed but be much louder. 

I am having an argument with another person that argues that CoolerMaster Silencio fans are better for case cooling than Noctua fans because it is specifically designed for case cooling while Noctua fans are for CPU cooling only. Apart from Noctua being expensive and not as quiet, I do not know how this cheap Silencio fan from CoolerMaster that couldn't even produce 50CFM and 1.0 mmH20 is better than Noctua fans (ie NF-F12) for cooling cases.

Is there something wrong with using pressure-optimised fans as case fans? Why do companies have two types of fans (Airflow-optimised and Pressure-optimised) even though Pressure-optimised fans can do both case airflow and pressure? Generally, high pressure fans do produce high airflow (CFM) too. It is not like airflow decreases when you increase static pressure. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Pressure-optimized fans generate more noise per airflow, so you only want to use those where the static pressure is necessary to actually get the airflow through a constricted area (like a radiator or heatsink).

Noctua airflow-optimized fans are easily a match for Cooler Master case fans.

High airflow fans are for open environments. Static Pressure fans are fans that are for CPU coolers and radiators along with any other place that has airflow restrictions (it has a lesser air flow performance, but when it comes to radiators and CPU coolers, it performs better than air flow optimized fans). Static pressure fans have a focused flow.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

Airflow fans generally move more air. Noctua actually has airflow fans too. IMO the reason people don't use noctuas as case fans is simply because of the aesthetics. 

There's nothing wrong with using pressure-optimized case fans other than other options possibly being more apprpriate.

The NF-F12 isn't Noctua's only fan. There are plenty of other fans such as the NF-S12A that is arguably the best case fan available when a truckload of static pressure isn't necessary. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produkte&lng=en

Airflow is generally sacrificed for static pressure when altering the fan blade design--there would otherwise be a perfect case design instead of the variety we see in the market today. 

It may seem like fans optimized for SP is the way to go due to performance/rpm but performance/noise is the standard for comparison as rpm is arbitrary. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

High airflow fans are for open environments. Static Pressure fans are fans that are for CPU coolers and radiators along with any other place that has airflow restrictions (it has a lesser air flow performance, but when it comes to radiators and CPU coolers, it performs better than air flow optimized fans). Static pressure fans have a focused flow.

that ctrl v copy text.

Magical Pineapples

But I just want to ask this. Even though the NF-F12 is a static pressure-optimised fan, is it still better than a CoolerMaster Silencio airflow fan at the same RPM?

LinusTechTips did a video where they replaced the stock case fans with Noctua static pressure fans and the temps did went down, and they weren't airflow fans. So are pressure-optimised fans better than airflow fans for case cooling (even though airflow fans are designed specifically for case cooling)? (Yes Noctua pressure fans are expensive, but lets just ignore the cost and assume the same RPM)

I think I know the answer to these questions already but I just want to know what other people think.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

that ctrl v copy text.

Thats shows that some ppl have time to google for 10 seconds before posting to forums.. =o_o=

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

They have a fan for every occasion as well as a heat sink.  Then you have to consider the industrial line as well as the budget builder.  They have so many fans that do so many things and they aren't a side effect of a company that sells everything else.   When you get these you pay for what you get without doubts.  If there are problems they send you new ones cuz they stand behind the product.  I ran air flow and static pressure and they were plenty quiet.  Within a year and a half there was no change in noise.  I paid a premium and got consistency.  Choose the fan for purpose carefully and you are guaranteed adequate or better.

Again, rpm isn't a good comparison as it really doesn't matter. Performance/noise is the better comparison. 

I'm not sure how exactly the Silencio FP120 performs as it's relatively new and there hasn't been many tests of them yet.

http://www.dvtests.com/cooler-master-silencio-fp-120-3pin-and-fp-120-pwm-test-and-review/

From my initial impressions, it seems like the FP120 is more static pressure optimized and more reliant on rpm than the NF-F12. At much lower speeds, the NF-F12 would probably perform better while being quieter and the FP120 should excel where static pressure is needed and very low noise is less of a concern (basically at mid to higher rpm comparisons). 

I'd guess it boils down to the FP120 performing better where air needs to be moved around a wall and noise isn't a concern and the NF-F12 performing better when low noise is the objective and air needs to be shoved in the direction the fan is facing.

Also, if noise is not a concern at all, the NF-F12 should perform quite a bit better at full speed but be much louder. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They have a fan for every occasion as well as a heat sink.  Then you have to consider the industrial line as well as the budget builder.  They have so many fans that do so many things and they aren't a side effect of a company that sells everything else.   When you get these you pay for what you get without doubts.  If there are problems they send you new ones cuz they stand behind the product.  I ran air flow and static pressure and they were plenty quiet.  Within a year and a half there was no change in noise.  I paid a premium and got consistency.  Choose the fan for purpose carefully and you are guaranteed adequate or better.

Yes I got myself 5x Noctua A14 3000RPM fans set to 1500RPM and only to 3000RPM in the middle of summer (the flexibility of a wide range of RPM is nice). The fans are doing their job well of pushing air around the case (Define R5) but they are pressure-optimised fans not airflow. If I got myself airflow fans instead of pressure fans like A14s, would it affect the temps?

I am also using the two + one fans that came with the case so I have 8 fans in total inside my case and they are still silent despite that many. And yes they are configured for positive pressure so there are hardly any dust settling inside the case.

Yes I got myself 5x Noctua A14 3000RPM fans set to 1500RPM and only to 3000RPM in the middle of summer (the flexibility of a wide range of RPM is nice). The fans are doing their job well of pushing air around the case (Define R5) but they are pressure-optimised fans not airflow. If I got myself airflow fans instead of pressure fans like A14s, would it affect the temps?

I am also using the two + one fans that came with the case so I have 8 fans in total inside my case and they are still silent despite that many. And yes they are configured for positive pressure so there are hardly any dust settling inside the case.

NF-A14's have great airflow and aren't as oriented for static pressure as NF-F12's are.

Thank you, this is also how I thought of it and you have confirmed my thoughts.

In addition, my case uses big dust filters (Fractal Design Define R5) so pressure-optimised fans would help draw air into the filters more efficiently. I think it is good of me to opt for pressure-optimised fans in this case.

Thank you, this is also how I thought of it and you have confirmed my thoughts.

In addition, my case uses big dust filters (Fractal Design Define R5) so pressure-optimised fans would help draw air into the filters more efficiently. I think it is good of me to opt for pressure-optimised fans in this case.

I'd be looking at 140mm and not 120mm fans for the Define R5. 

If the argument wasn't about the fans being used in that particular case but instead 'in general', I'd say the better fan would be situational.

NF-A14's have great airflow and aren't as oriented for static pressure as NF-F12's are.

Hmm I thought A14s are static-orientated since it can produce 4.0+ mmH20 pressure (apparently it can go 7.0+ mmH20 according to the spec sheet). I don't know any other Noctua 140mm fans can produce more pressure. But is it fine for radiators? Because once I get a 280mm AIO cooler I want to replace the stock fans with two more A14s.

I'd be looking at 140mm and not 120mm fans for the Define R5. 

If the argument wasn't about the fans being used in that particular case but instead 'in general', I'd say the better fan would be situational.

Yes I already got 5x Noctua A14 Industrial 140mm fans which are I think good for airflow and pressure. The reason why I asked this question because I thought it could be a mistake buying these fans since it is designed more towards 140/280 radiators than case airflow.

Hmm I thought A14s are static-orientated since it can produce 4.0+ mmH20 pressure (apparently it can go 7.0+ mmH20 according to the spec sheet). I don't know any other Noctua 140mm fans can produce more pressure. But is it fine for radiators? Because once I get a 280mm AIO cooler I want to stick two more A14s to make the case have a uniform look.

NF-A14's have better static pressure than most 140mm fans but don't let up when it comes to airflow either. 

They're great fans and generally the best option whenever applicable next to Silent Wings 2's which are slightly quieter but fall behind when it comes to static pressure. They're great both for rads and as case fans. 

Hmm I thought A14s are static-orientated since it can produce 4.0+ mmH20 pressure (apparently it can go 7.0+ mmH20 according to the spec sheet). I don't know any other Noctua 140mm fans can produce more pressure. But is it fine for radiators? Because once I get a 280mm AIO cooler I want to replace the stock fans with two more A14s.

NF-A14s are intermediate fans. They are not as airflow-optimized as the NF-S12As.

Noctua doesn't have as wide a selection of 140mm fans as they do 120mm fans, so there's no 100% airflow-optimized 140mm fan from them. The NF-A14s still do quite well as case fans.