Old Q6600 New again?

I have an old system with 6gb of ddr2 and a q6600. Anyway to get this thing to GTA V performace cheap? Needs a video card was thinking an R9 270. Do I need a new mobo? If I should get one minus well get a new cpu. Then only 200 for a new system. what should i do?

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

what motherboard do you have?

and i'm pretty sure it would support it, but can't tell until we know the model.

and i'm pretty sure it would support it, but can't tell until we know the model.

http://tekrevival.com/foxconn-g33m05-intel-g33-socket-775-matx-motherboard.html

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

http://tekrevival.com/foxconn-g33m05-intel-g33-socket-775-matx-motherboard.htmlGot it

Yea, those are pci slots so you will need to upgrade the motherboard.

The black long slot is a PCI-E gen 1 slot

The board the OP is linking has 2 PCI slots, 1 PCI-E X1 slot and 1 PCI-E gen 1 slot

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I am using a Q6600 as my main rig, went down from an Fx 6300 because why not? GTA V runs great and I have it paired with a 650 ti Boost

Here is my rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/345192-the-dell-not-from-hell/

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

The black long slot is a PCI-E gen 1 slot

The board the OP is linking has 2 PCI slots, 1 PCI-E X1 slot and 1 PCI-E gen 1 slot

So i cant use the black pcie? I found this with cpu http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-Intel-DP45SG-Motherboard-Q9300-Core-2-Quad-2-50GHz-Processor-2GB-X-/261728987890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf0436af2

You can use the R9 270 through the black PCI-E slot, only down side is that the card will not run at full gen 3 performance but none the less it will work, but no mater what motherboard you get for the Q6600, you will not be able to run the card at gen 3 speeds., If you already have the Foxconn board, i would just use it, but if you don't the Intel board has features and I would go with it instead.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You can use the R9 270 through the black PCI-E slot, only down side is that the card will not run at full gen 3 performance but none the less it will work, but no mater what motherboard you get for the Q6600, you will not be able to run the card at gen 3 speeds., If you already have the Foxconn board, i would just use it, but if you don't the Intel board has features and I would go with it instead.

One last thing. This pc has vista on it. I would need to get windows 8 which will double the cost but should i get a new hdd or wipe the vista one? Its old and not sure if it can be trusted. 

That Q6600 will work quite well, the Core2Quads just keep marching on.

The only thing I see being an issue is that I have seen reported issues with Gen 1 PCI-E and newer R9 series cards. I can't find a common source at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt but I know it has been documented.

Also! Don't get caught up in the whole Gen 1 vs Gen 2 vs Gen 3 speed arguments. At the moment the only cards that will be bottlenecked by Gen 1/Gen2 are the high end GPUs with high bandwidth demands. A mid range card or even an R9 280 will see no real discernible difference between Gen 1 or Gen 3.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

My Girlfriend has a Q6600 @2.4ghz , a GTX 660 and 4gb of DDR3 and she runs GTA @1600x900 at high settings 

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

My Girlfriend has a Q6600 @2.4ghz , a GTX 660 and 4gb of DDR3 and she runs GTA @1600x900 at high settings

What mobo is she using? Mine is only ddr2. Do I need a new one for ddr3?

What mobo is she using? Mine is only ddr2. Do I need a new one for ddr3?

You'll need a different motherboard for DDR3, yes. Is it required? Not really. DDR2 is plenty fast enough as is and runs at lower latency anyways. Only advantage is a drop in power consumption.

In games you won't really see the difference at all but if you run a lot of productivity apps and the like then RAM becomes more of a factor.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

the problem with DDR2, is out of phase

if you stick 8GB (assuming you have 4slot) that amount of money you spend is dead end.

going with DDR3, you can still use it for new hardware someday.

If DX12 is as good as these leaks show, wouldn't most of these older cpu's be "reborn", so to speak? They could handle more modern cards, right?

the problem with DDR2, is out of phase

if you stick 8GB (assuming you have 4slot) that amount of money you spend is dead end.

going with DDR3, you can still use it for new hardware someday.

This has 6gb of ddr2 667. I think its not worth a new mobo and ram. It would cost 100-150. Not worth it for a second pc.

that's why I never give advice building old platform

if you really tight with budget getting pentium (even Sandybridge/Ivy bridge) is still far better, since you can pump it up for at least 5years later

and it's dirt cheap.

that's why I never give advice building old platform

if you really tight with budget getting pentium (even Sandybridge/Ivy bridge) is still far better, since you can pump it up for at least 5years later

and it's dirt cheap.

My plan was to get the card I want and a new hdd with Windows 8 and in December rebuild with the 4690k

OK!! So i went out to microcenter and picked up a few things. I got windows 7, a gtx 660 (not ti), 1tb hdd and a new psu. This should work for now but will need a new mobo and cpu eventually and then i may do sli 660.