12-Year-Old Learns to Program Nvidia Graphics Chips, Aims to Build Ultimate Minecraft Server

The "Ultimate Mincraft Server" on a tesla.

Nvidia, thats bullshit.

Minecraft server cannot run on more then 2 cores...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

The "Ultimate Mincraft Server" on a tesla.

Nvidia, thats bullshit.

Minecraft server cannot run on more then 2 cores...

Wrong, I manage one of my friends servers which has a core i3 with a bunch of servers.  He can't run the MC server because his CPU gets maxed.  Hes getting an i7 for it soon though, so I will find out. 

Wrong, I manage one of my friends servers which has a core i3 with a bunch of servers.  He can't run the MC server because his CPU gets maxed.  Hes getting an i7 for it soon though, so I will find out. 

I phrased my post wrong...

Minceraft server cannot USE more then 2 cores.

I laughed when I read this, Nvidia you're so naive. For those wondering "she" *cough* Nvidia *cough* plans to write a server from scratch. I've done this in the past so you're able to do whatever you want with it. Although I don't sense any "ultimate" Minecraft server coming out of a compute kernel handling the floating point calculations. Piping them tasks to the GPU will probably have more of an adverse effect on performance than the CPU carrying them out.

I know you agreed with him after he appended his statement but I can tell you for a fact that it can indeed utilize other cores for different things. For example, there's the primary core the server will use, but more often than not, if another core is available, it'll use that for stuff like chat. Which is why when the server is under load, the chat still works more often than not.

I know you agreed with him after he appended his statement but I can tell you for a fact that it can indeed utilize other cores for different things. For example, there's the primary core the server will use, but more often than not, if another core is available, it'll use that for stuff like chat. Which is why when the server is under load, the chat still works more often than not.

The whole server uses max 2 cores. Its programmed that way. MC is soo poorly coded, EVERYTHING chat and all others will be on 2 cores.

The whole server uses max 2 cores. Its programmed that way. MC is soo poorly coded, EVERYTHING chat and all others will be on 2 cores.

Indeed; which is what I said. ;)

"Plans to build ultimate server for..."

My thoughts when I read that "Omg, GTAV? BF4?!? BATTLEFRONT!!?!? THE POSSIBILIES ARE ENDLE- Minecraft?.... *sigh*"

Indeed; which is what I said. ;)

I need to read better...

Its not gonna happen, I garentee it.

You would need to learn Java (Obfuscated since the source code is private) and Cuda (or whatever runs on Teslas) and Networking at low levels with huge amounts of practice to do this.

Its Incredibly difficult task to Paralellize minecraft let alone translate that to GPU instructions which wont end up bogging down the CPU into sending shitloads of commands to the gpu because hes not using HSA based computing.

Edit:

She only programmed for one hour, This is basically clickbait since when people say "Aims" they usually mean will eventually try to do. But she Probably can't even program pong.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Honestly I don't see how one person, especially someone that young, could be able to pull something like this off. It seems like an overly ambitious and difficult project which would require a tonne of preexisting knowledge and hundreds if not thousands of man hours to create. With a dev team maybe; alone, never.

Everyone seems to be saying how this will never happen and some are even being derisory about it, except that all coders have to start somewhere with some sort of project.  Her old man is a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Colorado (Boulder) and helping her with the project.  Fail or not they said in the article it wasn't a simple task and was going to be involved.

LTT, always assuming the worst, sometimes being self important about it. :rolleyes:    Why not just be happy that more people are taking an interest in this side of technology and not just getting wound up in facebook.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Everyone seems to be saying how this will never happen and some are even being derisory about it, except that all coders have to start somewhere with some sort of project.  Her old man is a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Colorado (Boulder) and helping her with the project.  Fail or not they said in the article it wasn't a simple task and was going to be involved.

LTT, always assuming the worst, sometimes being self important about it. :rolleyes:    Why not just be happy that more people are taking an interest in this side of technology and not just getting wound up in facebook.

It's almost like the forham is an echo chamber for armchair pontificators.

Its not gonna happen, I garentee it.

You would need to learn Java (Obfuscated since the source code is private) and Cuda (or whatever runs on Teslas) and Networking at low levels with huge amounts of practice to do this.

Its Incredibly difficult task to Paralellize minecraft let alone translate that to GPU instructions which wont end up bogging down the CPU into sending shitloads of commands to the gpu because hes not using HSA based computing.

Edit:

She only programmed for one hour, This is basically clickbait since when people say "Aims" they usually mean will eventually try to do. But she Probably can't even program pong.

You don't need to do half of that. The Minecraft protocol is raw and pretty much entirely documented online. What's the point of disassembling the official files if you're only going to reference them which may influence you into using the same shitty code. It's better if you just leverage the protocol to write your own server files from the ground up. This gives you the power and ability to code the server any which way your heart desires.

Minecraft servers are pretty basic server side. There's not a whole lot happening than you standard stuff. That's because Minecraft doesn't have any super complexity to the game. The Physics and animal/monster AI are probably the two most complex pieces of code and even them are likely to be pretty standard stuff (lets face it Zombies are dumb). Leaving Physics to be the heaviest of the bunch (lava, water, etc).

The task at hand is extremely simple (hence why they focused on Minecraft of all games). As said previously there's no point in piping resources to the GPU for such a trivial task. You'd be better off making use of AVX instructions and just crunching the numbers on the CPU. It took me only a few hours to create a Minecraft server that ran a hell of a lot better than the official files. In my own experience this "omgerd we're going to build le' monster MC server using Teslers" is just a stupid publicity stunt. Sure they will come out with synthetic numbers showing it likely being le' 50% faster at number calculations although it's not going to change the fact the game is still limited by the client.

You don't need to do half of that. The Minecraft protocol is raw and pretty much entirely documented online. What's the point of disassembling the official files if you're only going to reference them which may influence you into using the same shitty code. It's better if you just leverage the protocol to write your own server files from the ground up. This gives you the power and ability to code the server any which way your heart desires.

Minecraft servers are pretty basic server side. There's not a whole lot happening than you standard stuff. That's because Minecraft doesn't have any super complexity to the game. The Physics and animal/monster AI are probably the two most complex pieces of code and even them are likely to be pretty standard stuff (lets face it Zombies are dumb). Leaving Physics to be the heaviest of the bunch (lava, water, etc).

The task at hand is extremely simple (hence why they focused on Minecraft of all games). As said previously there's no point in piping resources to the GPU for such a trivial task. You'd be better off making use of AVX instructions and just crunching the numbers on the CPU. It took me only a few hours to create a Minecraft server that ran a hell of a lot better than the official files. In my own experience this "omgerd we're going to build le' monster MC server using Teslers" is just a stupid publicity stunt. Sure they will come out with synthetic numbers showing it likely being le' 50% faster at number calculations although it's not going to change the fact the game is still limited by the client.

Interesting , I did not know that the Protocol was documented at low enough levels that you could just recreate it. 

Also the Tasks themselves are not simple since there are many many things which need to be copied (or at least read from) minecraft.

• The Large amounts of Arguments for All the  commands
  • Absolute boatload of Statistics
  • World Generation
  • Saving the Worlds (In Anvil Format)

Its at least a month (or a few weeks if a team of people) worth of work to translate that to Cuda in a parallelized manner.

Also I'm surprised that there is someone with actual work experience thats going through with this, They of all people must know that the only way this is even remotely pointful is running on the CPU or With HSA based computing since everything is gonna go through the CPU anyway.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Interesting , I did not know that the Protocol was documented at low enough levels that you could just recreate it. 

Also the Tasks themselves are not simple since there are many many things which need to be copied (or at least read from) minecraft.

• The Large amounts of Arguments for All the  commands
  • Absolute boatload of Statistics
  • World Generation
  • Saving the Worlds (In Anvil Format)

Its at least a month (or a few weeks if a team of people) worth of work to translate that to Cuda in a parallelized manner.

Also I'm surprised that there is someone with actual work experience thats going through with this, They of all people must know that the only way this is even remotely pointful is running on the CPU or With HSA based computing since everything is gonna go through the CPU anyway.

The commands aren't a necessity as I'm pretty sure they are sent in plain text with just authorization checks server side. So you don't even need to use the built in official commands you can make up your own. Although if you don't feel like it the commands are all documented online as well. As for statistics I'm not sure entirely what you're referring to as there's not much to keep track of other than map data, player data, and NPC data. The world generation can be entirely custom as well. I wrote a Minecraft clone and used an octree for handling the blocks. The same goes with saving the world data it all boils down to what you decide to do. Nothing has a set criteria when coding an emulator from the ground up. The only thing that is mandatory is protocol support. Although beyond that you're free do whatever you want with the files. It would take me a day to hack up something like this although it would be very sloppy and would take me a week to smooth out the bugs and issues but that's all by myself (no team). I personally am dumbfounded by the project as they could of just threaded out their server to run on like a 5960X with a thread designated specifically for physics, one for the network stack, etc. Minecraft is not that heavy of a game server (other than memory) it's just poorly written in one of the slowest executing languages around.

It's almost like the forham is an echo chamber for armchair pontificators.

Well, I am one of those too, I just don't get my rocks of by being superior than a 12 year girl who's only just started to learn how to program.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"Plans to build ultimate server for..."

My thoughts when I read that "Omg, GTAV? BF4?!? BATTLEFRONT!!?!? THE POSSIBILIES ARE ENDLE- Minecraft?.... *sigh*"

#JustLowResScaling things.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

What amazes me is how people get a hard on to take jabs at Nvidia no matter what, even at the expense of a little girl.

What amazes me even more is they don't realize this article is over a year old.

who spent an hour learning the fundamentals of CUDA programming - See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/12/09/12-year-old-cuda-minecraft/#sthash.WodKdLIH.dpuf

Why is this an accomplishment? I'm sorry to be that guy, but any 12 year old should have an attention span that is at least that long, so why is this special? She's not going to be the one who is writing the code, but the person that had the idea of accelerating minecraft with cuda( which has probably been though of hundreds of times before). It just degrades the 12 year olds out there that have actually learned how to program javascript, python, java, c#, etc

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place