iMac Question

Mandrew

So i have a 27inch 1440p iMac for 2012 and was wondering if i could hook up another computer (something alone the lines of this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HGVff7) and use the iMac display only and have the other computer doing all the computer things

i believe you cant, at least with my fathers imac which is also 2012, i think its the same one.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i believe you can, at least with my fathers imac which is also 2012, i think its the same one.

any idea how to do it or know any tutorials that tell you how?

You can use a feature called Target display mode, but you need to use thunderbolt with that variant to connect to it, so basically no.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

any idea how to do it or know any tutorials that tell you how?

sorry i meant to say you cant. We tried a lot.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You can use a feature called Target display mode, but you need to use thunderbolt with that variant to connect to it, so basically no.

sorry i meant to say you cant. We tried a lot.

ok thx