[NewEgg] 250GB Seagate Refurbished HDD for $17.99

dadasmithywinkle

Hey y'all, here's a good deal if you need an HDD to get your rig running or to do whatever with. At less than $20, it's not a bad price, either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178387&cm_sp=Homepage_HD-_-P2_22-178-387-_-04182015

22-178-387-02.jpg

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

NEVER buy refurbished HDD's as you have no idea when they are going to fail

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Refurb HDD O_o

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Oh god no,

First off don't buy refurb hdd's 

and especially not Seagate.

Also these things are atleast 5 years old if not more.

Why not? Linus uses them in the work server!

le troll

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Why not? Linus uses them in the work server!

le troll

He uses Seagate enterprise level disks, He's gonna use SSD's in his new server.

Not according to the latest wan show, he said he uses tons of different hdd's in their work server. Referbs too!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

And he is going to have 2 18 core Xeons for a rendering box. What else is new

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

Not according to the latest wan show, he said he uses tons of different hdd's in their work server. Referbs too!

HEM HEM!!!!:

https://youtu.be/GHKRcSYPwPE?t=6m38s

I don't see the problem. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Seagate hard drive.... but this is a reasonable drive to mess around with. This would be good to test out Windows 10.

Did you listen to the whole show? He said their current server uses different manufactures of 3tb hdds with some of them being refurbished...

For $18 why not

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Did you listen to the whole show? He said their current server uses different manufactures of 3tb hdds with some of them being refurbished...

OH thought you were talking about the new server. Derp

OH thought you were talking about the new server. Derp

When he showed off the $12,000 worth of ssd's going in their new server... I fainted

Look what the tek posted today. :)

-le link- 

*strokes out*

you don't know when new ones will fail either..

just sayin :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I actually have plenty of refurbished WD (250 GB) drives in raid 5 that I use as a back-up. Bought 5 of them a year ago, and none are showing bad sectors so far. 

How is that any different from any other hard drive some one might buy?  

If it's refurbished by the manufacturer, what's the difference? 

how on earth do you even refurb a hard drive?!

the only legitimate way to do it imo is to reuse the case and replace both the spindle and the platter(s), which in a sense makes it a brand new drive.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

the only legitimate way to do it imo is to reuse the case and replace both the spindle and the platter(s), which in a sense makes it a brand new drive.

I doubt Western Digital would share their refurbishment process, but if you're right, even more reason to buy refurb hard drives.  

It would be like buying a slightly used car -- all the benefits of a new car (good condition, warranty) with the advantages of used (reduced price).  Win!

Probably how they do it. Saves them money in needing to make a case for the drive and thus you get a bit of the savings.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Many refurbished items are actually just "re-packaged". Two of the WD drives I received only had 2 days of use ( be aware that you could easily wipe this information from a drive ), but the other three had more than two years. 

Other things like broken sata connectors, or bad controller boards are actually really easy fixes (for the manufacturers). 

Someone (who needs a lot of drives, like 50 or more) is gonna have to dive in and buy nothing but refurb drives for us and report back after 2 years or so xD

If the waters are clear then we can all dive in a eat up refurbished drives as soon as they appear on the shelves

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ummm... i have this exact drive. ripped it out from an old xps system that is 7 years old. still runs strong and fine with my steam library. dont know why yall hatin...

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro