R9 280 Black Screen. Driver Issue?

So I just got my new PC and I'm having some serious problems with the graphics card. The system works fine, but when I install the driver for the card, the PC goes to a black screen after booting. It gets past the "windows starting" screen, shows me the desktop, but then there are lines all over the screen and it goes to black. The PC doesn't shut down or anything, and the GPU fans still run. I've uninstalled the drivers using DDU, used system restores, clean windows installs, you name it. Windows is fully up to date bar the AMD driver thats crashing the system. If I don't install the driver, the PC works, but under device manager the GPU is a "standard VGA adapter". Please help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CPU: FX-6300

GPU: Windforce R9 280

PSU: Antec Edge 650w

RAM: HyperX Savage (8gb)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970-UD3P

Uninstall the driver

Them download this http://www2.ati.com/drivers/auto/autodetectutility.exe

Install it then it will automatically find the right catalyst driver for windows then you will install it

After that restart, and if the problem is there, IDK, however if not then great.

Go on gigabytes website to then get extra software for you GPU

Hope it works!!!

Sounds like a faulty GPU, if you run GPU-Z does it give you the correct information about the GPU?

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Sounds like a faulty GPU, if you run GPU-Z does it give you the correct information about the GPU?

Yeah thats what I thought, so I had the card RMA'd. The new one is here and is doing the exact same thing, I can't imagine I got 2 duds. Without the drivers installed GPU-Z just shows Standard VGA Adapter

Uninstall the driver

Them download this http://www2.ati.com/drivers/auto/autodetectutility.exe

Install it then it will automatically find the right catalyst driver for windows then you will install it

After that restart, and if the problem is there, IDK, however if not then great.

Go on gigabytes website to then get extra software for you GPU

Hope it works!!!

I'm afraid that didn't, this time it Blue Screened. I don't know what else to try!

Did you overclocked your GPU, or your CPU?  An unstable overclock could be influencing your CPU and there for the stability of your system.  What hard- drive do you have? It could have faulty sectors. You may also try using a different video plug on your GPU? What driver have you been using?

Did you overclocked your GPU, or your CPU?  An unstable overclock could be influencing your CPU and there for the stability of your system.  What hard- drive do you have? It could have faulty sectors. You may also try using a different video plug on your GPU? What driver have you been using?

Nope, no overclocks on anything. Windows is installed on a 250GB Samsung SSD, with a 1TB WD Blue drive for storage. I've formatted both drives and re-installed windows several times. What do you mean by video plug? The 8 pin? And I've used 14.12, 14.9, 13 something and the newest beta driver (only one at a time mind, uninstalling the previous before putting the new one on). Could it be something in the BIOS?

Instead of the auto install driver you can find the specific one on AMD or from gigabyte directly.

Nope, no overclocks on anything. Windows is installed on a 250GB Samsung SSD, with a 1TB WD Blue drive for storage. I've formatted both drives and re-installed windows several times. What do you mean by video plug? The 8 pin? And I've used 14.12, 14.9, 13 something and the newest beta driver (only one at a time mind, uninstalling the previous before putting the new one on). Could it be something in the BIOS?

I meant the connector on the front of your GPU, where you plug your video cable (HDMI, DVI, DP, etc.) in. Try using a different cable (of course, if you happen to have one).

I meant the connector on the front of your GPU, where you plug your video cable (HDMI, DVI, DP, etc.) in. Try using a different cable (of course, if you happen to have one).

Ah sorry I misunderstood. I've tried this and it made no difference, but thank you for trying, I really appreciate any help I can get

Ah sorry I misunderstood. I've tried this and it made no difference, but thank you for trying, I really appreciate any help I can get

I have the exact same GPU, overclocked to the limits, and I have not experienced any problems what so ever... what about your monitor, do you have one (even an old VGA one) you could use to test, if there is o problem with your current monitor?

I have the exact same GPU, overclocked to the limits, and I have not experienced any problems what so ever... what about your monitor, do you have one (even an old VGA one) you could use to test, if there is o problem with your current monitor?

I know the monitor works fine, I've used it with another PC. It's an Asus VX239H

Tried all these and it's the same story, not working

Could be your moniter. Have you tried any different display like a tv or differnt moniter if available?

Check another port on the card, if not RMA that sucker.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Do you have a different GPU you can test in your system? Maybe the PCI port is broken or something else on the mobo. If your CPU has onboard graphics you should test if that works with the drivers installed as well.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Check another port on the card, if not RMA that sucker.

This is my second one after RMA'ing the first. Could I really be that unlucky?

Do you have a different GPU you can test in your system? Maybe the PCI port is broken or something else on the mobo. If your CPU has onboard graphics you should test if that works with the drivers installed as well.

No I'm afraid not, and I think the CPU might but the motherboard does not

Anyone got anything else?

I'd try to get an AMD card from someone you know so you can test if that works. Otherwise I don't know anymore.

I'd try to get an AMD card from someone you know so you can test if that works. Otherwise I don't know anymore.

Could it be a motherboard issue? Like a damaged PCI slot?

Could it be a motherboard issue? Like a damaged PCI slot?

Yeah it could possibly be, that's why you should try a different card.

Yeah it could possibly be, that's why you should try a different card.

I don't have another around. What a pain!

Get a refund and try a different brand :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.