Server Hard Drives

zachoooo

Why are SAS Hard Drives so ridiculously expensive? Even Enterprise grade SSD's are cheaper. If SAS Drives are slower and more expensive than Enterprise SSD's, why would anyone buy them?

Why are SAS Hard Drives so ridiculously expensive? Even Enterprise grade SSD's are cheaper. If SAS Drives are slower and more expensive than Enterprise SSD's, why would anyone buy them?

WD Red's are terribly expensive and run great. 

If you're speaking of true SAS drives, it's because they're made to run forever and a day and have a special connector

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

If you're speaking of true SAS drives, it's because they're made to run forever and a day and have a special connector

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Yes, I'm talking about true SAS Enterprise grade drives. 10k+ RPM, SAS connector, Hard Drive Caddy and all. And what would you say is the realistic lifespan of a SAS drive vs a WD Red or an Intel Enterprise SSD? Is it worth the extra money for it?

if you only use it to store games/video it's not worth it

you can make RAID1 or 5 or whatever redundant solution for your needs without have to paying premium price

I had an HP server a while back. It was using four 15k RPM SAS drives. From what I used of it, they were pretty quick, and all the drives were running fine after a few years of 24/7 operation. However, if you are considering using these sorts of drives, it may be worth mentioning that they are incredibly loud and require an SAS controller.

Yes, I'm talking about true SAS Enterprise grade drives. 10k+ RPM, SAS connector, Hard Drive Caddy and all. And what would you say is the realistic lifespan of a SAS drive vs a WD Red or an Intel Enterprise SSD? Is it worth the extra money for it?

The Red costs a tid more than a consumer HDD (blue/green) and will run 24/7. In comparison, an Enterprise SSD and SAS drives are about 5x the consumer price. Are they worth it? That's up to you. I run Red's in my NAS PC and love em. I can't justify SAS/Enter SSD prices.

if you only use it to store games/video it's not worth it

you can make RAID1 or 5 or whatever redundant solution for your needs without have to paying premium price

I had an HP server a while back. It was using four 15k RPM SAS drives. From what I used of it, they were pretty quick, and all the drives were running fine after a few years of 24/7 operation. However, if you are considering using these sorts of drives, it may be worth mentioning that they are incredibly loud and require an SAS controller.

The Red costs a tid more than a consumer HDD (blue/green) and will run 24/7. In comparison, an Enterprise SSD and SAS drives are about 5x the consumer price. Are they worth it? That's up to you. I run Red's in my NAS PC and love em. I can't justify SAS/Enter SSD prices.

So the SAS Drives are only worth it if you're looking for Life span then?

So the SAS Drives are only worth it if you're looking for Life span then?

Lifespan and speed. If you dont mind a normal speed drive, the RED's are the way to go, as they're cheap and'll last quite a while.