Which one should I go with?

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Honestly, I don't like the i3. It's a locked series, and it isn't even a full quad-core. Also, if I go with the Pentium, you're saying I'll have a drastic performance decrease when it comes to having multiple programs open while gaming? Will the FX 6300 do the same?

The Pentium already struggles to play AAA titles on their own, never mind with multiple programs open while gaming. The FX will definitely be better for those uses.

Where it currently stands for AAA gaming the FX-6300 has a slight edge on the i3, and the lead will grow larger with DX12. However with Intel you can upgrade to as high as an i7 later on if you want. That's the deciding factor. Performance now vs upgradeability

Hey all. I am really stuck as to which I want. I am getting a bit of cash and I need to upgrade from my 750 Ti and Athlon 7750 (which is a huge bottleneck). My price for a new processor, motherboard, and PSU is ~$200, no more than $230. The problem is, I don't know what to get. AMD FX 6300 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9LLdYJor Intel Pentium G3258 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JLLdYJ The problem is, the FX 6300 is great for multitasking as I do Skype a lot and have bunch of other things open while gaming (Battlefield, etc.), but the G3258 is a great value, and is capable of beating the FX 6300. What should I get? By the way, the parts list are what I still need to get, but the Hyper 212 can wait. My friend gave me the GTX 760, so that was cool. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Hey all. I am really stuck as to which I want. I am getting a bit of cash and I need to upgrade from my 750 Ti and Athlon 7750 (which is a huge bottleneck). My price for a new processor, motherboard, and PSU is ~$200, no more than $230. The problem is, I don't know what to get. AMD FX 6300 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9LLdYJor Intel Pentium G3258 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JLLdYJ The problem is, the FX 6300 is great for multitasking as I do Skype a lot and have bunch of other things open while gaming (Battlefield, etc.), but the G3258 is a great value, and is capable of beating the FX 6300. What should I get? By the way, the parts list are what I still need to get, but the Hyper 212 can wait. My friend gave me the GTX 760, so that was cool. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Also, forgot to add that the Pentium build would allow me to make a smaller case and make it a lot more portable compared to the ATX AMD one.

Let me ask, why the need for a PSU change? What do you currently have?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

For Battlefield the FX-6300 will definitely be better then the G3258. However aside from BF what other games do you play?

"Rawr XD"

Let me ask, why the need for a PSU change? What do you currently have?

TFX PSU that doesn't have the PCI-E power connectors required for the Asus GTX 760. Also a 4 pin EPS CPU connector.

For Battlefield the FX-6300 will definitely be better then the G3258. However aside from BF what other games do you play?

Well, ARMA 3, GTA V (hopefully in the future), other graphically demanding games, while having Skype, Firefox, etc. open.

The Pentium. It offers great upgradibility for in the future.

But will it have a bottleneck on the GTX 760, or a drastic performance decrease with multiasking?

I plan on making a case like my current one, but a lot better quality, and a lot more compatibility.

Well, ARMA 3, GTA V (hopefully in the future), other graphically demanding games, while having Skype, Firefox, etc. open.

ARMA 3 rapes CPUs, so bleh.

GTA V and other AAA titles though the FX-6300 will definitely be better, but with little upgrade path (only option being FX-8xxx). 

Would you be able to afford an i3?

But will it have a bottleneck on the GTX 760, or a drastic performance decrease with multiasking?

Yes. G3258 has lots of stuttering issues when playing AAA titles. Some games won't even run at all on the G3258.

"Rawr XD"

ARMA 3 rapes CPUs, so bleh.

GTA V and other AAA titles though the FX-6300 will definitely be better, but with little upgrade path (only option being FX-8xxx). 

Would you be able to afford an i3?

Yes. G3258 has lots of stuttering issues when playing AAA titles. Some games won't even run at all on the G3258.

Honestly, I don't like the i3. It's a locked series, and it isn't even a full quad-core. Also, if I go with the Pentium, you're saying I'll have a drastic performance decrease when it comes to having multiple programs open while gaming? Will the FX 6300 do the same?

Here go with this....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.98 @ OutletPC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $217.95

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 00:24 EDT-0400

Won't bottleneck you that much. Intel CPU's have better single core performance.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What is better at managing a company's finances: 2 people using computers or 6 people using pen and paper?

First case is the i3, second is the FX. Also, while the i3 has a locked multiplier, you can still change the base clock and OC it.

Last, but not least, if you are willing to shop used, you can easily get a nice LGA 1155 i5, or maybe even an i7! Those are still very strong CPUs, and should do a great job.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The Pentium already struggles to play AAA titles on their own, never mind with multiple programs open while gaming. The FX will definitely be better for those uses.

Where it currently stands for AAA gaming the FX-6300 has a slight edge on the i3, and the lead will grow larger with DX12. However with Intel you can upgrade to as high as an i7 later on if you want. That's the deciding factor. Performance now vs upgradeability

"Rawr XD"

Here go with this....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.98 @ OutletPC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $217.95

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 00:24 EDT-0400

Won't bottleneck you that much. Intel CPU's have better single core performance.

You have an FX 6300 and a similar performing GPU. How is it? Would you recommend it over a Pentium? Also, I just mentioned that I don't like the i3 series because it's locked and it's not a full quad core, ruling out games like Far Cry 4, which I absolutely love (although there is a fix for this).

Well not exactly...just because it isn't a true quad-core doesn't mean it won't help you out. Also with the Pentium it doesn't have hyper-threading so that means you won't be able to play certain games that require 4 threads. Am also pretty sure the Intel i3 CPU won't take that much of a performance hit, as long as it isn't a hundred things open. Skype is ok and maybe something else like teamspeak.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Here go with this....

IMO give a few hundred MHz for a better PSU

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $199.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 00:28 EDT-0400

"Rawr XD"

You have an FX 6300 and a similar performing GPU. How is it? Would you recommend it over a Pentium? Also, I just mentioned that I don't like the i3 series because it's locked and it's not a full quad core, ruling out games like Far Cry 4, which I absolutely love (although there is a fix for this).

Absolutely balls....I wish I went with Intel instead of this, it helps with budget video editing. However some games usually stuttered and have huge FPS drops...at times. 

I think performance (although there is still an upgrade path) now is a better path, as I have waited much too long for a worthy system. Thanks for the help!

Absolutely balls....I wish I went with Intel instead of this, it helps with budget video editing. However some games usually stuttered and have huge FPS drops...at times. 

I think I am still going to go with the FX 6300. While the Intel sounds nice, it has a lot more problems than the FX series do to it being only a dual core. Ansd while the upgrade path is a lot stronger, I think I am going to go with the FX 6300. Thanks for the help, though.

I think performance (although there is still an upgrade path) now is a better path, as I have waited much too long for a worthy system. Thanks for the help!

no don't do it. THERE IS NO UPGRADE PATH with AMD

I think I am still going to go with the FX 6300. While the Intel sounds nice, it has a lot more problems than the FX series do to it being only a dual core. Ansd while the upgrade path is a lot stronger, I think I am going to go with the FX 6300. Thanks for the help, though.

PFfft are you kidding me ? Take a look at these gaming benchmarks before making that decision again.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

seems like an Intel fanboy has gone completely nuts ^_^

Tell me about it. I can't have a dual core even if the cores are more powerful, so I go with AMD. And then I triggered a bunch of people.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kpJtkL

Wait for more money to get a new PSU. Also I don't see what all needs to be open when you are gaming? You're gaming what else needs to be open? If you can get back up to around this budget and dedicate it to the CPU you will be so much happier that you went with intel.