PC for gaming and a bit of 3D work

Fegsper

So I've been looking to build a new computer for awhile now. My current one is kinda kicking the bucket, I believe it has something to do with the motherboard SATA ports. HDDs aren't recognized sometimes and I've tried many different HDDs as well as eSATA cables.

Anyways, I'm looking to build a computer mainly for gaming but with some potential to do a little bit of 3D work as well. I'm not looking to spend too much money. ~$1000 is around what I have planned for this build.

That being said, this is what I have so far.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($99.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: OCZ Vector 180 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($358.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $993.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-17 23:05 EDT-0400

I'm leaving out a CPU cooler and RAM because I have an H50 and a kit of PNY DDR3 4GB x2 from my current PC that I'm planning on using.

I'm looking for suggestions for any tweaks to the build because this is will  be my first build. I most of the basics from watching a lot of videos and such but I would like some input on my current list of parts. I would also like an explanation of power usage. The Windforce 970 specs list says it requires 550w and the 8350 FX requires 125w but pcpartpicker tells  me I only need 365w? Elaboration on this would be nice.

Also as a side note, I already bought the 750D and the Windforce 970 because I got a little bit too excited... Then I started questioning everything while snooping around for deals.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you CPU render, then that build isn't getting much better unless you want to invest in i5, as those 4 extra threads are going to be quite helpful compared to an i5 4690k. If you GPU render, just get a 4690k for the much improved gaming experience. If you can afford get get a i7 4790k, as this is probably the best cpu for your use case if possible.

If you do go the Intel route, then pickup the cheapest z97 non-asrock SLI support (for the future maybe) motherboard.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

What kind of 3D work are you doing?

The 550w recommendation is inflated in case you're using a crappy psu to cover the graphics card manufacturer's butt. 

Is it too late to cancel the order of the 750D? It's quite oversized for a system not crammed full of wc'ing.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What kind of 3D work are you doing?

The 550w recommendation is inflated in case you're using a crappy psu to cover the graphics card manufacturer's butt. 

Is it too late to cancel the order of the 750D? It's quite oversized for a system not crammed full of wc'ing.

I'll just be doing some fairly basic 3D modeling in blender for some assets

And yes it's too late to cancel as the case has already shipped. I was planning on using it in a later build though

I'll just be doing some fairly basic 3D modeling in blender for some assets

And yes it's too late to cancel as the case has already shipped. I was planning on using it in a later build though

In that case, what's the budget left for the parts you have yet to purchase?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

In that case, what's the budget left for the parts you have yet to purchase?

I have around $500 - 600 left

Don't get the EVGA NEX PSU, get the G2 instead, or any XFX/some Antec PSUs that are made by Seaosnic, or a Seasonic PSU of course

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I have around $500 - 600 left

Something like this would be better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CTJNFT

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.