Final Build - 2000$ Budget

Hey guys,

I'm buying a new computer in a week or so and that's pretty much my final build after reading stuff on Linus Tech Tips. I would like to have final suggestions and feedback about what i should change or anything about my build.

I was hesitating with the graphic card between EVGA GTX 970 SSC and the Gigabyte one. I will be gaming with this rig most of the time and maybe a bit of recording.

There's my build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K --- 425$

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 1 4GB GDDR5 --- 475$

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) --- 255$

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB --- 97$

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo --- 145$ 

Hard Drive HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB --- 65$

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold --- 159$

DVD Player/Burner: ASUS (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer --- 20$

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO --- 45$

Fans: Corsair Air Series AF140 or Corsair Air Series AF120 --- 20$

Monitor: BENQ XL2411Z 144hz --- 300$

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 --- 104$

All canadian prices, I live in Montreal.

Thanks in advance!!

I'd recommend the gigabyte card, its pretty quiet under load especially with a custom fan curve, and if you follow @Lays tutorial, you can enable 0rpm mode so its completely silent at idle.

Looks pretty good to me :P, though I'd go for 16GB of RAM at that budget personally.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I will probably get 16GB of RAM, I guess I can find a extra bit of money laying around.  ;)

Are you planning to sli?

Why a 144hz TN panel instead of a better looking IPS?

Is Wifi necessary?

Looks pretty good to me  :P, though I'd go for 16GB of RAM at that budget personally.

I will probably get 16GB of RAM, I guess I can find a extra bit of money laying around.   ;)

How much ram is needed will depend on your own personal use. If you have no issues using systems with 8GB ram now, it's probably not worth getting more as more ram than needed isn't beneficial.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you planning to sli?

Why a 144hz TN panel instead of a better looking IPS?

Is Wifi necessary?

How much ram is needed will depend on your own personal use. If you have no issues using systems with 8GB ram now, it's probably not worth getting more as more ram than needed isn't beneficial.

Sorry i posted twice i forgot to quote your post. Maybe in a year i would buy another GPU to go SLI. But i didn't want to spend more than 350$ for a monitor (canadian money). For the 16GB i never had that much but for sure with this new computer i will buy i will see a big difference compared to what i have now. The WIFI it's true that i don't really need it, my modem is directly on my computer desk so i'm plugged in. There's only 15$ difference between the one with WiFi Ac and the one without, unless you have another motherboard suggestion?

My Computer right now:(old computer)

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.8Ghz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9
Hard Drive HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB 5400 rpm
Power Supply: Antec 750 watts 
DVD Player/Burner: LG DvD Writer 24x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case: Antec Three Hundred 

For the 16GB i never had that much but for sure with this new computer i will buy i will see a big difference compared to what i have now.

That's almost like saying "I'll by a second oven so that I can have twice the number of flames to cook, even though I barely use 4 of my current one, let alone all 5 of the available spots". Don't be stupid. Save the money, stick to 8gbs.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I hate my 8GB RAM. I'm more than 2/3 of the way through it, and I'm using more than 10GB of swap, and this is a light load for me. I would recommend 16GB or more, but it really depends on your workload, and the vast majority of people don't use their PC like I do.

@Imakuni

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

I hate my 8GB RAM. I'm more than 2/3 of the way through it, and I'm using more than 10GB of swap, and this is a light load for me. I would recommend 16GB or more, but it really depends on your workload, and the vast majority of people don't use their PC like I do.

@Imakuni

Most of the time I will be playing battlefield 4, elder scroll online, heroes of the storm and maybe I will record a but but that pretty much the biggest load I will go to.

Most of the time I will be playing battlefield 4, elder scroll online, heroes of the storm and maybe I will record a but but that pretty much the biggest load I will go to.

8GB should be fine, but if I were in your place, I would get 16GB to be on the safe side. If you could stretch your budget a little, that would be a good addition.

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

Sorry i posted twice i forgot to quote your post. Maybe in a year i would buy another GPU to go SLI. But i didn't want to spend more than 350$ for a monitor (canadian money). For the 16GB i never had that much but for sure with this new computer i will buy i will see a big difference compared to what i have now. The WIFI it's true that i don't really need it, my modem is directly on my computer desk so i'm plugged in. There's only 15$ difference between the one with WiFi Ac and the one without, unless you have another motherboard suggestion

My Computer right now:(old computer)

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.8Ghz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9
Hard Drive HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB 5400 rpm
Power Supply: Antec 750 watts 
DVD Player/Burner: LG DvD Writer 24x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case: Antec Three Hundred 

There's little point allocating separate funds for parts like the monitor when you're going to be buying the system as a whole anyway.

Are you upgrading your current system or outright replacing it? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@Imakuni

The fact that memory utilization is less than 70% suggests that the system is nowhere near pushing its memory limits. Swap is generally preallocated and may include space set aside for memory dumps. Hence the 10GB allocated.

More memory is always nice, but the budget might be better spent on a larger ssd or better cpu cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The fact that memory utilization is less than 70% suggests that the system is nowhere near pushing its memory limits. Swap is generally preallocated and may include space set aside for memory dumps. Hence the 10GB allocated.

More memory is always nice, but the budget might be better spent on a larger ssd or better cpu cooler.

I'm USING 10gb is swap, 20GB allocated. I agree with you on the CPU cooler/ssd though

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Really Old Desktop 
 40 GB/s Network Tester

There's little point allocating separate funds for parts like the monitor when you're going to be buying the system as a whole anyway.

Are you upgrading your current system or outright replacing it?

I'm replacing the whole computer, getting everything new.

The fact that memory utilization is less than 70% suggests that the system is nowhere near pushing its memory limits. Swap is generally preallocated and may

include space set aside for memory dumps. Hence the 10GB allocated.

Great than if it's better to get a better CPU cooler I would upgrade it to a liquid cooler. I was thinking of maybe the corsair h100i, any suggestion?

H105 is better, and probably a similar price. Also look at the H110i GT, H100i GTX, Antec 1250, Cooler Master Nepton 240M etc

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I'm replacing the whole computer, getting everything new.

I'm guessing your current system is going to someone else?

I'm guessing your current system is going to someone else?

Trying to sell it right now.

H105 is better, and probably a similar price. Also look at the H110i GT, H100i GTX, Antec 1250, Cooler Master Nepton 240M etc

Good thanks I will look at all those and is there one you suggest more out of those?

Trying to sell it right now.

Are you parting it out or selling it as a whole? Many of your current parts can probably be used for the new system.

Are you parting it out or selling it as a whole? Many of your current parts can probably be used for the new system.

Selling as a whole, why should I keep parts when I want a big upgrade?

Selling as a whole, why should I keep parts when I want a big upgrade?

Alright. I'd suggest something like this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/ptzHD3

You can probably salvage your current dvd drive I don't think anyone buying it would mind much. 

You can probably salvage your current dvd drive I don't think anyone buying it would mind much.

So you would only keep the dvd drive and sell the rest? My build doesn't look Good? I will probably go for a 144hz monitor.

Why the Mini-ITX GTX 970?

Also not sure, but the Ereboss is supposed to be 160mm tall but the fan sticks up 7-8mm above the heatsink, so it's actually taller than 160mm (around 168mm) which means it may not fit the case

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Why the Mini-ITX GTX 970?

Also not sure, but the Ereboss is supposed to be 160mm tall but the fan sticks up 7-8mm above the heatsink, so it's actually taller than 160mm (around 168mm) which means it may not fit the case

I think the build I made is pretty good, might stick with 8gb RAM and put a water cooler instead of the 212 Evo but not sure which one to get or should I stick with my 212 do and in couple months when I over clock my CPU and see the temps I will go for a water cooler.

I think the build I made is pretty good, might stick with 8gb RAM and put a water cooler instead of the 212 Evo but not sure which one to get or should I stick with my 212 do and in couple months when I over clock my CPU and see the temps I will go for a water cooler.

212 Evo isn't a particularly good value for money cooler anymore. For gaming, 8GB RAM is fine also