Hoping for a bit of help before I build by new PC

Andromeda2.5

This will be my first build, but I have researched quite a bit. I'm wondering if you can take a hard drive out of an old computer (this hard drive had Windows 7 on it) and put it into a new computer that has an SSD in it? The SSD would boot Windows 8.1 and I don't want the old Windows 7. Sorry for the mental gymnastics I'm putting you through here.

just make sure you format the old drive and your fine

This will be my first build, but I have researched quite a bit. I'm wondering if you can take a hard drive out of an old computer (this hard drive had Windows 7 on it) and put it into a new computer that has an SSD in it? The SSD would boot Windows 8.1 and I don't want the old Windows 7. Sorry for the mental gymnastics I'm putting you through here.

Make sure you set your boot drive to the SSD. Then once in windows, reformat the drive to remove the old OS

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Or you can format it right when you're installing Windows 8.1 with the partition tool. 

Just delete the whole drive partition (because Windows create a 100MB partition for repair) so delete and then format it.

Or you can format it right when you're installing Windows 8.1 with the partition tool. 

Just delete the whole drive partition (because Windows create a 100MB partition for repair) so delete and then format it.

He is installing windows 8 on the SSD, not the hard drive. He is reusing his hard drive for storage

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

He is installing windows 8 on the SSD, not the hard drive. He is reusing his hard drive for storage

The same applies. I've done it like that before.

just make sure you format the old drive and your fine

sorry for being a noob, what would I format and how?

sorry for being a noob, what would I format and how?

get a pc (with a drive already in it) connect the old drive, go to ''this pc'' left click the drive you want to format once and then right click and select ''format...'' untag the fast format option and let it run.

If you want to keep your files from your old hard drive, do not re-format the old hard drive.

Make sure that you set your default boot drive to your SSD so that there will be no problem even if you transfer your old hard drive to your new build.

I know but he can format the old hard drive in the Windows installation setup, even if he gonna install Windows on the SSD. 

I know but it can format the old hard drive in the Windows installation setup, even if he gonna install Windows on the SSD. 

Oh I just misunderstood what you were saying and though you meant installing it on HDD