Notepadd++ Alternatives for Xubuntu!?

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hey Guys! So finally now I can choose Computer Science in the coming months for my school :)

That's the best part. The worst? I don't have a PC. I mean, I do. But it doesn't have a OS. I' currently using Live USB of Xubuntu.

I had to remove my XP (It's an old computer) because there were a lot of bloatwares in it and BTW it has already expired.

I just have this xubuntu now. Now that I have opted for CS, I'll have to do practicals and homeworks (you know it), on my PC.

I just need to find if notepad++ works on xubuntu. If not, can I get a good free alternative for it?

I've googled and am download a couple of them so that I can compare and see which ones better. I think they're Gnome Text Editor and Geany. Something like that.

I will be buying a Windows 7 copy (or might just do the thing that we shouldn't)(P>racy). Can't really get a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate here really costly. :(

So that's a question. If notepad++ orks, or any Alternative. And let me know if there's any very less but safe copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit out there :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Notepad++ works under WINE. Otherwise - http://notepadqq.altervista.org/wp/ or https://atom.io/

I have no info about xubuntu (linux particularly). So for ths, would I have to install WINE first?I think yes?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

As Laputacake said, Sublime is probably the best bet, just run: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2

another option that I personally like is Gedit:                              sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins

Spend the time and learn VIM or Emacs, you wont regret it.

I don't need one exactly like notepad++. I just want one so that I can do my stuff related to pragraming and shit. I'm new to this :)

BTW, The worst part for me is to install those in this OS. Very messy :(

COMING SOON

one more thing to add, there are built in text editors in your terminal pico AKA nano (easier to use) and vi (more powerful), are both good options

one more thing to add, there are built in text editors in your terminal pico AKA nano (easier to use) and vi (more powerful), are both good options

how to open them??

COMING SOON

Nano is nice for basic tasks but is a pain for bigger projects. Installing vim is as simple as

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install vim

how to open them??

cd to the file you want to open and type "nano filename.filetype". If you want to create a new file the process is the same, running "nano filename.filetype" on a file that doesn't exist will create a new file and open it in the editor (this file will only be saved if you write it to the disk, CTRL+O).

Vim. If you're programming it's an editor that you seriously need to consider. Notepad++ doesn't come close in terms of power and productivity.

Yes, there is a learning curve. However, it helps a lot if you start from a good vimrc.

This one requires git and Vundle to fully install:

" VUNDLE SETUP" =============================================================================filetype offset nocompatibleif has("win32")  set rtp+=~/vimfiles/bundle/Vundle.vim/  let path='~/vimfiles/bundle'else  set rtp+=~/.vim/bundle/Vundle.vimendif" PLUGINS" =============================================================================call vundle#begin()" VundlePlugin 'gmarik/Vundle.vim'" Use the the . operator with plugin commandsPlugin 'tpope/vim-repeat'" Add, change, and delete delimitersPlugin 'tpope/vim-surround'" Wrapper for Git on Vim commandlinePlugin 'tpope/vim-fugitive'" Use <Tab> for autocompletion Plugin 'ervandew/supertab'" Edit several things at once with multiple cursorsPlugin 'terryma/vim-multiple-cursors'" Puppet syntax supportPlugin 'puppetlabs/puppet-syntax-vim'" Sass syntax supportPlugin 'cakebaker/scss-syntax.vim'" CSS3 syntax supportPlugin 'JulesWang/css.vim'" JavaScript syntax improvedPlugin 'jelera/vim-javascript-syntax'Plugin 'pangloss/vim-javascript'" PHP syntax improvedPlugin 'StanAngeloff/php.vim'Plugin 'shawncplus/phpcomplete.vim'" Racket syntax supportPlugin 'wlangstroth/vim-racket'" Extra syntaxPlugin 'justinmk/vim-syntax-extra'" Solarized color schemePlugin 'altercation/vim-colors-solarized'call vundle#end()" CONFIG" =============================================================================let g:multi_cursor_exit_from_visual_mode=0let g:multi_cursor_exit_from_insert_mode=0let g:multi_cursor_normal_maps={'d':1}" SYNTAX" =============================================================================syntax onfiletype plugin indent on" FORMATTING" =============================================================================" Convert tabs to spacesset expandtab" Tabs are equal to 2 columnsset tabstop=2" Reindent operations use 2 columns per tabset shiftwidth=2" Number of columns per tab in insert modeset softtabstop=2" Allow backspace to remove indentation, end-of-line, and insert positionsset backspace=indent,eol,start" Auto indentationset autoindent" Disable visual text wrapset nowrap" EDITING" =============================================================================" Hide buffers instead of close them, allowing switching before savingset hidden" APPEARANCE" =============================================================================" Tell vim that the background is darkset background=dark" Solarized color schemetry  colorscheme solarizedcatch  colorscheme defaultendtry" UI" =============================================================================" Remove splash textset shortmess+=I" Line numbersset number" Always show command barset showcmd" Always show edit modeset showmode" Highlight the currnet lineset cursorline" Always show status lineset laststatus=2" Disable the fold column to the left of line numbersset foldcolumn=0" Highlight matching bracesset showmatch" Disable audible bellset noerrorbells" Disable visual bellset novisualbell" Autocomplete, match longest substring, always show menu, show detailsset completeopt=longest,menu,preview" Display diff filler lines, always vertical splitset diffopt=filler,vertical" Display at least one line between cursor and horizontal window bordersset scrolloff=1" Display unwanted charactersset listset listchars=tab:·\ ,trail:·,nbsp:+" Turn on wildmenuset wildmenu" Activate wildmenu with <TAB>set wildchar=<TAB>" Show wildmenu listset wildmode=full" GUI" =============================================================================if has("gui_running")  " Set default GUI font for Windows  if has("gui_win32")    set guifont=Consolas:h10  endif  " Set cursor line number  highlight CursorLineNr guifg=#657b83  " Set initial window height  set lines=48  " Set initial window width  set columns=84  " Remove menu bar  set guioptions-=m  " Remove toolbar  set guioptions-=T  " Remove scrollbars  set guioptions-=R  set guioptions-=r  set guioptions-=L  set guioptions-=l  set guioptions-=bendif" PERFORMANCE" =============================================================================" Defer redraws for improved performance; with ttyfast, this buffers outputset lazyredraw" Increase number of characters sent to terminal at onceset ttyfast" STATUSLINE" =============================================================================" Filename tailset statusline=%t" Filetypeset statusline+=\ %y" Buffer numberset statusline+=\ #%n" Separatorset statusline+=%=      " Modifiedset statusline+=%3m" Line numberset statusline+=\ %3l:" Column numberset statusline+=%c" Percentage of fileset statusline+=\ %P" Total linesset statusline+=\ (%L)" SEARCH" =============================================================================" Incremental search, highlight for each character typedset incsearch" Highlight all matchesset hlsearch" Use <C-L> to clear last search hilightnnoremap <silent> <C-L> :nohlsearch<CR><C-L>" Use <C-P> for fuzzy file searchnnoremap <C-P> :e<SPACE>**/" ENCODING " =============================================================================" Default character encodingset encoding=utf-8" Possible end of line formatsset fileformats=unix,mac,dos" BACKUP" =============================================================================" Disable annoying backup/swap filesset nobackupset nowritebackupset noswapfile

Spend the time and learn VIM or Emacs, you wont regret it.

I learned emacs, and then I regretted it when I started hitting ctrl+w to copy in other programs.

VIM is kinda annoying to use. I don't see a point to using it unless you have to work entirely on the command line.

Geany is fine for linux, I think it works really well. You can try emacs as well. Atom is also a really good editor(Atom.io). Also if it is an old PC and you are going to do programming, then why not stick with a linux distro? Lubuntu in particular runs really well on older hardware :) 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I learned emacs, and then I regretted it when I started hitting ctrl+w to copy in other programs.

VIM is kinda annoying to use. I don't see a point to using it unless you have to work entirely on the command line.

Haha :D If someone likes emacs they usually wont like vim, and it goes the same the other way around. I personally prefer emacs but a lot of my friends use vim. If CTRL+W was a problem you could've just rebound it. ;)

I have no info about xubuntu (linux particularly). So for ths, would I have to install WINE first?I think yes?

Wine or Playonlinux

Haha :D If someone likes emacs they usually wont like vim, and it goes the same the other way around. I personally prefer emacs but a lot of my friends use vim. If CTRL+W was a problem you could've just rebound it. ;)

It didn't seem worth the effort to go and change everything in EMACS. I found out that NotepadQQ existed and just went to that.

I don't really like VIM mostly because I find it a lot easier to program when I have a mouse and a GUI. I've worked with it a lot, editing files on my school's remote Linux server, and I still find it really awkward jump around and copy text.

It didn't seem worth the effort to go and change everything in EMACS. I found out that NotepadQQ existed and just went to that.

I don't really like VIM mostly because I find it a lot easier to program when I have a mouse and a GUI. I've worked with it a lot, editing files on my school's remote Linux server, and I still find it really awkward jump around and copy text.

I think that is mainly down to preference. My Linux setup has always been with a tiling WM and doing as much with the keyboard as possible. When everything is set up the right way it's a much more comfortable workflow for me. It does take a good while to learn and setup though. :) NotepadQQ might be the right way to go for OP, it looks pretty much like Notepad++ anyways.

notepadqq is the direct alternative for linux

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I think that is mainly down to preference. My Linux setup has always been with a tiling WM and doing as much with the keyboard as possible. When everything is set up the right way it's a much more comfortable workflow for me. It does take a good while to learn and setup though. :) NotepadQQ might be the right way to go for OP, it looks pretty much like Notepad++ anyways.

NotepadQQ is just a Notepad++ port for Linux. I think they had to replace Winforms with QT.

Scintilla also looks good. I was going to use it but I couldn't figure out how to compile it, and I'm working on final exams, so I haven't bothered trying to figure out what was wrong

No reason not to use a mouse with Vim.

No reason not to use a mouse with Vim.

I didn't know you could use a mouse in VIM. I'm surprised none of the Vim lovers in my class told me that you could.

I didn't know you could use a mouse in VIM. I'm surprised none of the Vim lovers in my class told me that you could.

Absolutely, I'm using gVim right now. And regular old Vim works with terminals that can detect mouse input as well.

As other people already said, instead of a simple (stupid) text editor such as notepad++ (notepadqq), nano (or sublime, haven't tried, don't know), I'd suggest going for emacs/vim. They are really powerful and offer a huge bunch of tools for programmers, shell access and a huge bunch of plugins.

For my programming (mainly c/c++) I use Emacs with a plugin called ecb, emacs code browser. It gives Emacs a nice, ide-ish look.

There is a learning curve to emacs and vi, but you won't regret it, at least I haven't ;)

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland