Commodore 64 restoration

Frankie

500px-Commodore_64_logo.svg.png

I don't know if anyone is going to be interested, but it gave me a lot of work so here we go. :)

My grandparents told me they have a very old computer stored at the attic of their cottage and asked me if I want it, of course I said yes. It's not like the 64's are THAT uncommon but I was still surprised. It's a C64G aka model made in Germany, not really surprising since Germany are our neighbor. :D

And because I am idiot I forgot to take pictures of the whole thing before cleaning, so here's one from google as reference. It looked similar with dust and grime everywhere.

Commodore_64G-prima.jpg

And here goes my pics, notice the grime on the F keys and spacebar etc.

UTBa0it.jpg

Then the MOBO came out.

UVtBTaa.jpg

nJjyOJg.jpg

The use of a glass fuse is interesting. You sure as hell not gonna see that on a new MOBO. :D I also didn't knew that SHOEI manufactured capacitors.

S8M6ts5.jpg

This is after the complete dissasebly and cleaning. The big plastic parts we're cleaned using soap and water. Worst part was the caps and stems, I washed them with sponge using soap one by one, incredibly meticulous process I tell you that much. :D

PVht9tK.jpg

008Ku4O.jpg

TjmafIT.jpg

TbpXhT2.jpg

WDXJusp.jpg

p87fERn.jpg

I0NfK59.jpg

The Shift Lock key had to be desoldered to let me take the keyboard assembly apart. (It was like that because the Shift Lock uses actual key switch, rest of the keyboard is basically capacitive.) 

Here it is soldered back on installed into the assembly that hold the keyboard itself then installed into the case.

6B3ySde.jpg

CIzLk4k.jpg

MOBO installed into the second part of the case and final assembly pics.

GpsLf17.jpg

I guess you can say that.... spring is here. YEEEEEEEEAH.

IaH9jOB.jpg

U4bfWlp.jpg

FVCtDDu.jpg

And here you have it folks, one happy clean Commodore 64.

J8a62lt.jpg

If you stayed with me this long, you da real MVP. Thanks for reading. :)

Pics are in spoilers for all my people with slow internet. I know it damn well myself.

P.s. some of the pics got kinda deformed dunno why, if you open them it's fine.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Sick thread!

Such a shame my dad sold his I think Amiga some time ago, I wish I would have been into computers back then too and tried to clean it up like you!

The result is very nice :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Sick thread!

Such a shame my dad sold his I think Amiga some time ago, I wish I would have been into computers back then too and tried to clean it up like you!

The result is very nice :D

Thanks dude, I appreciate it. :) Maybe you could find something on some auction site ? :) The clean up took almost 3 days whew. :D

Some of the pics got deformed dunno why. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Shouldn't this be in build logs /??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Shouldn't this be in build logs /??

I thought about that, but technically it's not a build log. I didn't build it.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I thought about that, but technically it's not a build log. I didn't build it.

You don't need to, as showing off your rig is the description and it's your rig and your showing it off.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Thanks dude, I appreciate it. :) Maybe you could find something on some auction site ? :) The clean up took almost 3 days whew. :D

Some of the pics got deformed dunno why. 

At the end of this month I will go to 2 big flea markets, so I can possibly get something for cheap to work on :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are you keeping up with the commodore? Because the commodore is keeping up with you.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

plug it in, have you got software?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

At the end of this month I will go to 2 big flea markets, so I can possibly get something for cheap to work on :)

Noice. :)

IS the commodore keeping up with you??

I don't really know. They don't carry much of a value in my country. Nevermind I wrote this before I've seen the ad. :D

plug it in, have you got software?

I have the datasette with some casette (probably games), joystick and power brick. Thing is, I don't have any old tv or monitor so I can't hook it up for now. But it should work, it gets power, that's for sure. Trying to hook it up to something is on the list, saving money for new rig right now and the VGA converters are kinda pricey.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

oh that's lovely! My older cousin had one, I remember the load times were soooo long, watching the "audiocassette" play in the drive :D

I have an Amiga 500 I should restore it as well, it had that glass fuse as well, I still have a few replacements :D

Thumbs up!

oh that's lovely! My older cousin had one, I remember the load times were soooo long, watching the "audiocassette" play in the drive :D

I have an Amiga 500 I should restore it as well, it had that glass fuse as well, I still have a few replacements :D

Thumbs up!

You should, it's a lot of work but also a lot of fun if you like tinkering with something. Thanks! :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Apparently this was transferred under Console Gaming, it's a fricking PC!

vader.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

You can get emulators on your phone for the audio cassettes that play sound out of the headphone port. still takes as long to load but you can get lots of software for free.

You can get emulators on your phone for the audio cassettes that play sound out of the headphone port. still takes as long to load but you can get lots of software for free.

Yeah, I've seen a video on it. Kinda interesting that it works. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Ah the good old 64, happy memories!

Now by seeing this, it really itches to get my hands on one of those again.
Ya just gotta love a mean clean C64. B)  

Ah the good old 64, happy memories!

Now by seeing this, it really itches to get my hands on one of those again.

Ya just gotta love a mean clean C64. B)  

I don't know if I keep it or sell it, but my techie heart couldn't let it stay that dirty. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I don't know if I keep it or sell it, but my techie heart couldn't let it stay that dirty. :D

Trust me, stick with it.

Even if it's only a 64G, it's a Commodore dude.

There's never anything wrong with that.  :D