Why did you choose AMD over NVIDIA or Nvidia over AMD?

I choose NVIDIA right now, since I'm more and more into GPU compute enabled stuff.  AMD's OpenCL performance is generally better from what I'm seeing, but most of the software I want to use (as of right now) is CUDA only, or CUDA stable/OpenCL experimental (ie. Blender).

For gaming, looks like some of AMD's GPUs are a better price/performance deal right now, but NVIDIA's drivers and software (stuff like the GeForce experience and 3rd party tools like the awesome nVIDIA inspector) seem much more polished these days than AMD's.

I used to use AMD (6870, 6950) but when the 660 Ti came out, it was too good a price/performance deal to pass up, plus I started needing CUDA.

I'm keeping my AMD GPUs around in the hopes that someday they'll kick ass at more OpenCL-enabled stuff than just benchmarks.  :P

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15

Basically I choose the wrong one every time I've ever gotten a video card. My first gaming card was a Voodoo 3 PCI (oooh yeah haha). My first "Gaming Quality" Rig was kinda ancient with a Kyro2 (which most people won't know, it's a very bright idea but didn't catch on), company went out of business, then got a radeon 9600xt, again nothing but issues with my via chipset and trying play games like HL2, etc. Then I tried sticking with ATi and got an X800XTX PE AIW (Say that 3x fast!), liked the idea of gaming and a "free" tivo box all in one, but then that sucker overheated like crazy because the heatsink was almost smaller than my 9600xt's. Then I Jumped up and dropped almost $300 on a Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+ OC (again with the crazy names....) because I was sick of the Ati Driver issues, now from that I upgraded my entire system and went with an AMD 7870 OC Edition from MSi, again had faith and had been hearing good things about this card and cost/performance over the 660 (again went the wrong side...) And so far it's been a nightmare, can't use onboard sound without hearing the refresh rate buzzing over speakers and for some reason my 7870 on an i7 Is running slower than my wife's 7870 on a Core 2 Duo Playing BL2...explain that one!! So yeah I'm regretting buying it when I did, wish I could've went with a 770 or 760 :/

Chose AMD gpu because it performs better than a Nvidia card that has the same price tag.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I chose AMD 7770 to replace my upgrade from a GTX 260 because the price / wattage was better than a 550ti/650 since the 650ti wasn't out.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

i went with amd because i had no use for cuda and less performance in games for more money

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

AMD. Because Adobe and so many software devs started to use openCL( which is availabe in all the GPU's these days). And also I can get a gaming bundle(~100$ worth of games) for same price of the card.

My youtube channel: itsMrN

Nvidia > AMD

One word....DRIVERS.

This is just my personal experience. The only time I ever used an AMD card was when it was just ATI Radeon. If I remember right, it was the 9800 I had. That card was amazing.

I got the 7850 which is AMD because it was the best bang for buck card

CPU: i5 3570K; Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V; RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB); GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr; Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition; Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue (500GB); PSU: Thermaltake Modular PSU 750 Watts

I chose Nvidia because it had features that I cared about being supported in the games that I was playing that AMD wasn't offering. I was confident in the performance of the card and went for it. 

I'd go with anything, it just has to have the best price/performance ratio in my price range.

Good enough.

AMD 7970 crossfire cause its the best value for that much performace and between the two I probably got 9 free games.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I chose my HD 7770 because of the price, the fact that an nVidia card with the about same performance costed a little bit more and that I like ATI/AMD cards a little more than I like nVidia cards (cause I had far more of them).

M.S.C.E. (M.Sc. Computer Engineering), Senior IT advisor in a hospital, 30 years of gaming, 20 years of computer enthusiasm, Geek, Trekkie, anime fan

• Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - EK AIO 360 D-RGB - Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Asus Prime X570-P - 4x8GB DDR4 3200 HyperX Fury CL16 - Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950XT Nitro+ - 1TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade - 512GB ADATA SU800 - 960GB Kingston A400 - Seasonic PX-850 850W  - custom black ATX and EPS cables - Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout - Windows 11 x64 23H2 - 3 Arctic Cooling P14 PWM PST - 5 Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST
  • Peripherals: LG 32GK650F - Philips 226VL - Logitech G Pro X Superlight with Tiger Ice - HyperX Alloy Origins Core (TKL) - EndGame Gear MPC890 - Genius HF 1250B - Akliam PD4 - Sennheiser HD 560s - Simgot EM6L - Truthear Zero - QKZ x HBB - 7Hz Salnotes Zero - Logitech C270 - Behringer PS400 - BM700  - Colormunki Smile - Speedlink Torid - Jysk Stenderup - LG 24x External DVD writer - Konig smart card reader
  • Laptop: Acer E5–575G-386R 15.6" 1080p (i3 6100U + 12GB DDR4 (4GB+8GB) + GeForce 940MX + 256GB nVME) Win 10 Pro x64 22H2 - Logitech G305 + AAA Lithium battery
  • Networking: Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 - Arcadyan ISP router - 35/7 Mbps vDSL
  • TV and gadgets: TCL 50EP680 50" 4K LED + Sharp HT-SB100 75W RMS soundbar - Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.1" - OnePlus 9 256GB - Olymous Cameda C-160 - GameBoy Color 
  • Streaming/Server/Storage PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - LC-Power LC-CC-120 - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - 2x4GB ADATA 2666 DDR4 - 120GB Kingston V300 - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 2x WD Green 2TB - Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon R9 380X - 550W EVGA G3 SuperNova - Chieftec Giga DF-01B - Logitech G710+ - Roccat Kone Pure Military Desert strike - Logitech S-220

Don't care which brand it is. I just go for the best performing card at the time at a reasonable cost. By reasonable, I mean not Titan priced.

The only reason they make Titans and 7990s is to make other models' prices look reasonable :D

BTW, I chose AMD Radeon 7750 because it crossfires with my A10-6800K

I chose the AMD 7950 because it is a great and powerful card that overclocks well, and it came with 3 free games. The never settle bundle really changed my mind.

I chose Nvidia because of their drivers(well that was before the never settle driver was released) and adaptive v-sync.

Nvidia over amd because of driver issues.  AMD drivers are a pain...

Corsair Obsidian 800D | Msi GD-80 z68 | Intel Core i72600k (stock speeds at the moment) | Msi Gtx 570 twin frozr III | 8GB Corsair Dominator @1600mHz | Coolermaster evo 212 temporary) | Cooled by Gelid Wings | Intel SRT smart caching | Windows 7 ultimate x64

I choose Nvidia because it was:

- Better looking

- Better support in terms of drivers,

- Innovations such as Physx (which they got from AGEIA Technologies),

- Better more understandable naming schemes,

- Power consumption,

Thats's pretty much it I guess.

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Nvidia for me cause i do use the adobe suite but i also game a good bit but if i didn't use adobe at all probably just go with any AMD equivalent preferably a 7950. 

Cpu: Intel i7 4790k@stock | Case: Corsair C70 | Motherbord: msi z97 Krait edition Ram: Crucial ballistix 16 GB | Video Card: GTX 1080 8GB |

Power Supply: Seasonic 620W Bronze|KeyBord: Corsair K70 RGB (reds)| Mouse: Logitech g502|MicrophoneBlue Snowball|

well...first card - Nvidia 7500 GT because it was cheap though that was maybe 6 or 7 years ago, and now second card AMD R7950 because again, it was cheap (infact 209 GBP for me 7 months ago) and it's a great price-performance AND never settle bundle is pretty good value add

| AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4.0 GHz, 16GB DDR3 (8GB x3) 1600, XFX R7950 800 MHz, 1TB 7400 64MB , Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Fractal Design Define R4 |

| This user is located in - ~northern England, United Kingdom, Sol 3 |

I chose NVidia (TITAN) because I'm basically a scumbag...

GTX 670 because I bought it before the Never Settle drivers.

Long story short, I was poor (still am) and the HD 6950 was available in Kijiji. Flashed the BIOS and now it's a 6970. Boom shakalaka

I went with AMD for my first 2 cards because they fit my lower budget better. 

I had AMD previous and switched to Nvidia for last 2 series cards I've bought as I feel

Nvidia has better driver support versus AMD.

AMD over Nvidia, because at the time the AMD cards were priced cheaper, and performed better. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 -