Nokia Lumia 1020 Packs a beastly 41 megapixel camera

The new Nokia Lumia 1020 is a Windows based phone that was just announced and it packs a ridiculous 41 megapixel camera.

Ball bearings around the camera supposedly give the camera fantastic optical stabilization, and the camera is also supposed to take very good low light photos because it has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, sensors ever put on a phone.

You can also manually adjust exposure times to make the exposure time very long or short, if you so desire.

Lumia1020_vendor.jpg

lumia1020photos4_640_verge_super_wide.jp

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/nokia-lumia-1020/4505-6452_7-35822762.html

a cheap DSLR will take better pictures and I think the market for this is people wanting to merge their point and shoot camera and their phone I would just stick with my s4 and take my DSLR out which is not a good one by any means its 8 years old in fact  but back to the point can the human eye even detect the detail in 41 megapixels?

Same problem as the 808, it's awful.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

How is a 41 megapixel camera of that size going to be even able to take low light shots.

Wouldnt the 41 MP help keep images crisp when zooming in?

Without a big sensor, 41 megapixels would actually make the pics look worse. You can't shrink the sensor and keep the quality, so phone cameras can only get so good. I think we're pretty much hitting a plateau, which makes phone companies throw big numbers and marketing speak at the problem.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

The sensor on this phone is the biggest on any phone ever

This will likely be the best phone camera due to the larger size sensor compared to all other phones, but 41 megapixels is overkill and sounds gimmicky to me. The biggest problems for me is the hump of the camera on the back and that it runs Windows Phone which I find ugly and plain looking. I also could care less what type of flash is on the camera because if you need to use a front facing flash you've already failed.

so what's that ten pictures and it's full? :P

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Better get SLR/DSLR camera?

920 costs like 700$ here. Better get Proper Camera.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Wouldnt the 41 MP help keep images crisp when zooming in?

It should. The file sizes for those pictures will be ridiculous though.

I'd like them to take it and do like Samsung and make a Nokia camera with the sensor, a lens with optical zoom, and some good camera/photo apps.

41 mp is pointless if you cant take advantage of it. and the shutter speed is probably horrible which means lots of blurry pictures.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

a cheap DSLR will take better pictures and I think the market for this is people wanting to merge their point and shoot camera and their phone I would just stick with my s4 and take my DSLR out which is not a good one by any means its 8 years old in fact  but back to the point can the human eye even detect the detail in 41 megapixels?

It is estemated that our eye is equal to a 547mp camer a or something like that and the 41 megapixels is also good for zooming in after the photo is taken and downsampling

Higher mega pixels is all fine, as long as the sensor size increases in size. The problem with cameras during the mega pixel race, is that the sensor size didn't or barely increased in size. So pictures didn't look better.. just bigger. And at some point you have a reverse effect.

While a digital camera will always beat a phone camera, the Nokia phone features a really large sensor, hence why it pop-out from the phone casing. Meaning, expect the Nokia phone to be the phone with the best camera embedded inside.

Are you guys saying that this is bad for a phone camera?

9179586182_4ed7e1a29c_o.jpgnokia-lumia-1020-pro-lowlight.jpg

Amazing! What phone did you take it with? Lumia 920?

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Amazing! What phone did you take it with? Lumia 920?

Those are actually taken by Joe Belfiore, and they are taken with a lumia 1020

I think it's great, I don't carry any other camera device other than my phone therefore good camera quality is the first item on a new phones list, I am certainly not going to buy a DSLR, where would I carry it and when I actually want it I wouldn't have it on me because I'm not likely to carry it round with me. Really like the xenon flash too.

The sample images look great and that is all that any normal consumer cares about, big sensor? little sensor?, more megapixels for a bigger image and image quality is what people look for, and this checks those two boxes with two massive ticks.