Experiences with non-techies

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-919.html

Then right click on “Ethernet” (right click on Wi-Fi if you want to check the wireless IP address), and go to Status-->Details;

There you will see all the TCP/IP details of this computer.

Step 2

Right click on “Ethernet”, go to “Properties”, and then choose “Internet Protocol Version 4”, click on Properties;

Except there is no 'Ethernet' to right click on ....

Linus is my fetish.

4 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Steve Jobs was smart, but not tech smart only business smart.

He knew the market, he knew what people wanted, he executed it and was an absolutely fantastic leader and boss.

Apple never invented the GUI, neither created it.  Another company did, but Apple bought it and used it.  Steve Jobs used things that were average and clumped them together to make them great.

lollll Jobs saw a GUI computer at Xerox' PARC, I highly doubt he had the money to buy Xerox when he was still building his computers in his garage...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I worked at apple support. An Italian guy had a customer and they went on for a long time. Customer was supposed to click the apple button in the upper left corner of the screen. But it was not working. Eventually he found out the guy was pressing the button on the screen with his finger. This was ~10 years ago when the intel imacs was just announced.

My mom would ask me how to turn a computer on, i would point to the power button which hasn't changed since the last time she turned it on, and tell her, just hit the big button on the front. There was only one button. And she would ask, "this one?" Always annoyed the hell out of me.

So I work mostly on lighting projects and in my old workplace we had a plotter. Its basically a huge inkjet printer that prints up to A0-size projects on a a roll of paper and cuts it. You can even print posters etc. with it on glossy paper or silk fabric. Anyways, one day my colleagues wife came to our office, saw the plotter and asked about it. As we were working in a modern building with bare concrete and glass walls, I started to explain to her. I told her that the walls are still bare concrete as we haven't installed wallpaper yet. So we bought this huge printer to print wallpaper. I was expecting her to then start laughing, but to my surprise, she got all these questions about who is making the decision of which design we were going to print. My colleague was quite embarrassed about his wife and so he took his wife quickly and they went away with him explaining, why we actually needed the plotter (to plot projects). It has been over five years now and his wife still dislikes me, heavily. I can't say that the feeling is mutual as thinking of her always makes me smile...

It is stupid to be stupid.

Just in class, someone said their uncle's business had all its files locked "by anonymous hackers" and had to pay bitcoin... no, someone just downloaded something they shouldn't have. There was no hacking involved :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So you know those audioquest cables that we like to make fun of? The really expensive ones of Amazon made of pure silver?

Yeah, one of my teachers (he has a large inheritance fund so he can afford things like this) thinks that their silver power cable is not only worthwhile, but it will actually give him better sound quality on his new sound system.

Despite my 2 years of physics and 3.5 years of engineering class, one of which has been purely about digital electronics, he refuses to listen when I tell him that it really won't do anything, and even if it would it would be completely overridden by the copper wiring in the walls of his house. He kept insisting that "it helps the electrons line up better"

And before you ask, no, he is not a science teacher, tech teacher, or engineering teacher. He is an english teacher.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Sigh some day these customers are going to be sword at.

Guy: "Do you have any i7 990X's instock"
Me: "Unfortunately not, they were discontinued quite some time ago and were a very high end product" ramble ramble about newer options he might be interested in
Guy:"I'll have a look at your website and call back soon"

*few minutes later*

Guy: " Your website says you make custom computers so why can't you make me a 990X"
Me: ramble ramble ramble
Guy: I'll check trademe then"
Me: "Okay, have a good day" *knowing there won't be any 990X's available in NZ*
*click*
*Sigh / facepalm*

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

10 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

Me: "Unfortunately not, they were discontinued quite some time ago and were a very high end product" ramble ramble about newer options he might be interested in

*few minutes later*

Guy: " Your website says you make custom computers so why can't you make me a 990X"
*click*
*Sigh / facepalm*

That awkward moment when you don't know the difference between a computer and a CPU....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 hour ago, Str_Mape said:

*few minutes later*

*click*
*Sigh / facepalm*

... Don't want to throw fire on this, but he may have been talking about AMD 990X Chipsets? 

5 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

... Don't want to throw fire on this, but he may have been talking about AMD 990X Chipsets? 

Given he said i7 I'm sure hoping not, that didn't even occur to me.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

1 minute ago, Str_Mape said:

Given he said i7 I'm sure hoping not, that didn't even occur to me.

You never know... how many posts have there been about people asking for AMD Pentiums or some nonsense? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You never know... how many posts have there been about people asking for AMD Pentiums or some nonsense? :P

That is true, it doesn't help that Intel and AMD have CPU's that are the 6100 and 6300 that're somewhat similar in performance, that is really not helpful, FFS Intel.

3 minutes ago, Str_Mape said:

That is true, it doesn't help that Intel and AMD have CPU's that are the 6100 and 6300 that're somewhat similar in performance, that is really not helpful, FFS Intel.

I'm pretty sure everyone has overlapped everyone now... CPUs, GPUs, it doesn't matter.  Pick almost any number and it's at least two products :P

R9 280... GTX 280... FX-6300... i3 6300... i7 980... GTX 980... it's a complete cluster ****

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm pretty sure everyone has overlapped everyone now... CPUs, GPUs, it doesn't matter.  Pick almost any number and it's at least two products :P

R9 280... GTX 280... FX-6300... i3 6300... i7 980... GTX 980... it's a complete cluster ****

yes, but those were never sold at the same time, 6100 from AMD is previous gen and 6300 is current, 6100 and 6300 from intel are current gen, quite often there's a good 5 or so year gap.

My grandma just sent her PC to a repair place and paid them a fortune to fix it. She says she couldn't find her yahoo. She could have probably had let me take a look at it for a grand total of $0. You don't need to send your computer to the pros to have them fix it, a family member could probably fix it for you for $0

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

1 minute ago, Maximoose said:

My grandma just sent her PC to a repair place and paid them a fortune to fix it. She says she couldn't find her yahoo. She could have probably had let me take a look at it for a grand total of $0. You don't need to send your computer to the pros to have them fix it, a family member could probably fix it for you for $0

That's why I moved my grandma over to ubuntu.  Prior to that we got calls pretty much once per week of something being wrong.  She was also regularly infested with 40+ viruses.  Since ubuntu, there's been maybe 5 problems in 10 years, most if not all of which I was able to fix over remote desktop.

So, there's this guy im my class that asked me to build him a "gaming and editing computer" for 200€ .

Me: with that budget is practically impossible, let's get things straight. You'll need to spend at least 650€

Him: Ok, I think my dad has some money left.

Me: * hate intensifies *

In the next days I proceed to pick some parts: An FX 6350 and a 7950 that i found used on ebay and 8 gigs of ram, pretty proud of myself i show him the list.

Him: bruh wat this shit? Wheres the i7's? And wtf is that card i want a GTX 690 ( at this point my brain melted)

Me: sorry but, what do you mean for " gaming and editing"?

Him: ya know, minecraft and stuff

And then i proceed to hang myself

So, there's this guy im my class that asked me to build him a "gaming and editing computer" for 200€ .

Me: with that budget is practically impossible, let's get things straight. You'll need to spend at least 650€

Him: Ok, I think my dad has some money left.

Me: * hate intensifies *

In the next days I proceed to pick some parts: An FX 6350 and a 7950 that i found used on ebay and 8 gigs of ram, pretty proud of myself i show him the list.

Him: bruh wat this shit? Wheres the i7's? And wtf is that card i want a GTX 690 ( at this point my brain melted)

Me: sorry but, what do you mean for " gaming and editing"?

Him: ya know, minecraft and stuff

And then i proceed to hang myself

I hate it when people think i7 is the only performance CPU available on the market. It's like with an Apple product. "It's an i7, it must be the best CPU in the world"

People often throw hate at me for having an AMD, and that Intel is better and bla bla bla.

When I'm asked to put together a part list and throw a higher and AMD in it they go all mad like I'm trying to scam them or just grabbed a CPU from the the trash.

I freaking hate fanboys.

I just started taking Intro To Information Technology this semester (Freshman year highschool) and the teacher is an idiot. He says that the CPU is the tower part of the computer. He says that Steve Jobs invented the GUI. And when you try to correct him you are wrong. There was this one time he told us there are 1000MB in a GB. I said well its not exactly 1000 right. And he replied well its more like 900. SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!! That is all. End Rant.

Technically, yes the tower was originally known as the CPU. For the most part it still is as most of the reason companies like HP and Dell put the processor name in the specs is to take advantage of the placebo effect.

1 hour ago, W3dge said:

Technically, yes the tower was originally known as the CPU. For the most part it still is as most of the reason companies like HP and Dell put the processor name in the specs is to take advantage of the placebo effect.

no ... it actually NEVER was called that ...

*sigh*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I hate it when people think i7 is the only performance CPU available on the market. It's like with an Apple product. "It's an i7, it must be the best CPU in the world"

People often throw hate at me for having an AMD, and that Intel is better and bla bla bla.

When I'm asked to put together a part list and throw a higher and AMD in it they go all mad like I'm trying to scam them or just grabbed a CPU from the the trash.

I freaking hate fanboys.

The worst part is that he said i7's, he tought that for running a quad core cpu you need four cpus. I7 quadcore= 4 i7's on one motherboard. God, why

The worst part is that he said i7's, he tought that for running a quad core cpu you need four cpus. I7 quadcore= 4 i7's on one motherboard. God, why

4*3ghz = 12ghz CPU

Heard that too much

14 hours ago, Maximoose said:

Yeah, true... But they're running a business and rental, staffing costs, and overhead cost a bucket load of money. 

6 hours ago, deWaardt said:

I freaking hate fanboys.

Well to be fair.... Intel CPUs are higher performing (intel wins most segments above their i3-6100), but you pay for it. AMD are great if you have a tight budget. My brother uses AMD, I use Intel and both of us are happy with our systems. 

5 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

no ... it actually NEVER was called that ...

*sigh*

Yeah- CPU - Central Processing Unit - Processor.

It is stupid to be stupid.