SSD with HDD

wkelly

I have built a PC and it works fine but I have put a 60gb SSD and a 1tb HDD in it. I have managed to get both drives to show up but when ever I download something it will go straight to the SSD and not to the HDD.

Please help

I don't remember how, but you can tell windows to relocate your entire user folder to your secondary drive. This will move downloads, (most) programs, AppData, etc. over to the drive you choose.

I might be wrong.

I don't remember how, but you can tell windows to relocate your entire user folder to your secondary drive. This will move downloads, (most) programs, AppData, etc. over to the drive you choose.

Is there any way you can find out

Locate your user file folder: (C:\Users\USERNAME)

Right click the folders you want to move (Desktop,Documents,Downloads,Music,Pictures and videos normally). Properties > Location, and change it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Locate your user file folder: (C:\Users\USERNAME)

Right click the folders you want to move (Desktop,Documents,Downloads,Music,Pictures and videos normally). Properties > Location, and change it.

I'm on windows 8.1 and it won't let me change the location

Apparently it's not a good idea to do this, it can have issues, and it won't let you service or update/upgrade windows. [link]

What I would do instead is just change your downloads directory to your HDD. You can also install just about any program to a specific folder on your hard drive. If you have a lot of steam games, you can install them to your HDD as well. 

60B is a pretty small SSD, especially considering some games are 30-60GB (Looking at you GTAV)

I might be wrong.

I am also on 8.1 and can do it fine :S

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Go into settings in your web browser, select advanced settings, and select download location. Change it to where you want it to go

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Apparently it's not a good idea to do this, it can have issues, and it won't let you service or update/upgrade windows. [link]

What I would do instead is just change your downloads directory to your HDD. You can also install just about any program to a specific folder on your hard drive. If you have a lot of steam games, you can install them to your HDD as well. 

60B is a pretty small SSD, especially considering some games are 30-60GB (Looking at you GTAV)

I dont know where microsoft pulled that info from but I can confirm that I have been running multiple drives with my downloads, desktop, pics, videos, docs, etc. folders spread out over 3 different drives which are not boot drives without ANY problems. Goin from win 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 has all worked flawlessly, along with all updates working.....

EDIT: upon closer reading, this is referring to moving the ENTIRE Users directory, which is not at all what was being recommended, and definitely not something i have tried.

When in doubt, re-format.

Open explorer, on the left pane right click the folder you want to change E.g. Right click downloads > Properties > Location > change to desired location

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD