Mining with Free electric?

So, I have the opportunity to have free electric for about 9 months. 

Is it possible to buy any mining equipment and pay it off fairly quickly in these 9 months? I don't want to spend a whole lot to start, but am interested in paying off the equipment and gaining some coins to keep and use for myself.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Is it possible to buy any mining equipment and pay it off fairly quickly in these 9 months? I don't want to spend a whole lot to start, but am interested in paying off the equipment and gaining some coins to keep and use for myself.

I'd say don't even bother. Chances are for you to buy enough, you're talking at least 9 months just to break even... and that's if you get the miners at a steal.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Mining is so overdone... don't even bother

I'd say don't even bother. Chances are for you to buy enough, you're talking at least 9 months just to break even... and that's if you get the miners at a steal.

Wow 9 months just to potentially break even...

That's unfortunate :/

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Wow 9 months just to potentially break even...

That's unfortunate :/

You can mine F@H or BOINC points instead. Much more profitable, once you consider that it can prevent hundreds of dollars worth of mendical treatment.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Join the folding community! I'm actually in the same boat as you. I get free electricity from the University which I use to fold. Much more rewarding, I guarantee it.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

if you already had the equipment that would be a no brainer

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

You're unlikely to make money if you don't already have gear.  The solves are simply too difficult as this point. 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

You can mine F@H or BOINC points instead. Much more profitable, once you consider that it can prevent hundreds of dollars worth of mendical treatment.

But it isn't profitable, they are charity.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

But it isn't profitable, they are charity.

Profitable to mankind in general.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Profitable to mankind in general.

If by profitable you mean useful yes but if you mean yielding profit or financial gain then no it isn't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

If by profitable you mean useful yes but if you mean yielding profit or financial gain then no it isn't.

Profitable if you get a disease one of them cures.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Profitable if you get a disease one of them cures.

Nope you won't be making money of it, sure a cure may come but you will still have to pay for the cure and other shit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Actually, there are some crazy enthusiast that pay you to run Boinc 24/7 under their account, so they can get more medals.

Although it's a bit hard to find those people....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Actually, there are some crazy enthusiast that pay you to run Boinc 24/7 under their account, so they can get more medals.

Although it's a bit hard to find those people....

So just because of that very very small % your going to say it's profitable ?? 

It isn't profitable.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

So just because of that very very small % your going to say it's profitable ?? 

It isn't profitable.

Considering that his power bill is 0, then he is able to profit. So that means it is profit-able (crap pun....)  :P

Why not setup a cheap computer and fold@home?

...I feel you guys don't understand that  I can would like to buy a gpu or asic and basically pay it off while learning how to mine...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

One of the few feasible coins to mine, Ziftrcoin, is unique in that it has a 5 point algorithm that makes it difficult, and not worth it, to develop ASICS for it. You can easily mine 10 coins per day with just a couple of graphics cards. I would suggest looking into that one if you do decide to mine.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

...I feel you guys don't understand that  I can would like to buy a gpu or asic and basically pay it off while learning how to mine...

As we said, you are not going to get payoff. Simple as that. With luck, you'd break even, but as far as getting profit, it ain't happening.

As I said, you should try to Fold or Boinc instead. Essentially the same thing as learning how to mine, but much more important and much more helpful:

1. As far as payoff, you won't get any direct money. But it give it some long years and you'll start getting the rewards back in the form of medical treatment for you / your family, for example, that would be worth a lot more than money could buy.
  2. As far as learning how to Fold / BOINC, let me tell you a story. It's happening with me right now. Thanks to all my knowledge about Boinc, I was able to create a project with it on my University's computing lab. I'll be the first research being done there; not only that, it'll add up as the obligatory Scientific Initiation (literal translation, correct me if it's called something else). All learning is good, but learning useful things is great instead.

What they are saying is, that if you buy all the mining stuff, you might get back the money you paid for them in 9 months. Barely.

You wont get any profit in 9 months 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Mining unless you already have the equitment is really not that effective. Unless you have access to a supercomputer to mine for a low price, you won't be making much money.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

What they are saying is, that if you buy all the mining stuff, you might get back the money you paid for them in 9 months. Barely.

You wont get any profit in 9 months 

So, the answer is actually possibly yes.

I'm not concerned with profit because the real reason I want to do this is to learn about it, but I don't feel like throwing money at it and never seeing that ever again either.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

So, the answer is actually possibly yes.

I'm not concerned with profit because the real reason I want to do this is to learn about it, but I don't feel like throwing money at it and never seeing that ever again either.

Possibly. Possibly.

So you are saying you don't want a profit, but don't want to sink money in it that you will never see again?

That's what we are saying. Just because you don't pay for your power, doesn't mean the miners are free. The miners cost money and you'll probably not get that money back in 9 months.

I don't know exactly how long it will take (it depends on how much money you throw at it)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/