What exactly is folding boinc and coin mining

And to figure out what folding and bionic are, try reading the sticky thread at the top of the pages since they describe it....

When in doubt, re-format.

folding and boinc is using your computers power to do massive calculations in order to assist research (such as cencer research or other stuff)

coin mining is using your computers power to mine digital currencies

which is stupid because you lose more money in power bills than you get from the currency

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm sorry, but this is the PERFECT question for Google. Or Urban Dictionary, or the like.

It's summarized much better by journalists, analysts, editors, etc.

But essentially (just so I don't sound like a d1ck) Mining is running an algorithym to find money online, using your GPU. That was horrible... Proves my point though! :P

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

folding and boinc is using your computers power to do massive calculations in order to assist research (such as cencer research or other stuff)

coin mining is using your computers power to mine digital currencies

which is stupid because you lose more money in power bills than you get from the currency

With PC hardware yes, but with dedicated hardware and on places around the world with cheap power, it's actually profitable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

With PC hardware yes, but with dedicated hardware and on places around the world with cheap power, it's actually profitable.

pretty sure OP is talking about using his PC to do this stuff, not ASICs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020