Folding or BOINC?

If i am forced to choose which to run at all times, what do you think would be my better choice? I hear that BOINC has alot of issues running out of tasks for the computer to do, and that makes me want to lean toward the Folding side, but then again BOINC has so many more things that you can help research.. so idk what to pick, should i fold or should i BOINC?

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

It's really up to you to decide, though I'm biased towards F@H so do that ;):P

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I don't do enough of either, but I'm biased towards folding.

Sig under construction.

Folding because it's folding?Wut?

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

i fold, because BOINC confuses me with their seperate groups and wierd UI.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

If i am forced to choose which to run at all times, what do you think would be my better choice? I hear that BOINC has alot of issues running out of tasks for the computer to do, and that makes me want to lean toward the Folding side, but then again BOINC has so many more things that you can help research.. so idk what to pick, should i fold or should i BOINC?

follow..... your.... topic...

you know better.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Fold. Might just end up saving your own life :)

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

follow..... your.... topic...

you know better.

Sorry! I had to restart my pc because of updates ive been putting off! jeez ;) 

And yeah, im partial towards folding too, but idk, researching space seems cool too...

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

Sorry! I had to restart my pc because of updates ive been putting off! jeez ;)

And yeah, im partial towards folding too, but idk, researching space seems cool too...

get the badge, then go back to folding.

Yeah, maybie thats the best bet, get the BOINC member badge, then go back to folding

I honestly prefer BOINC. You have much more control on what you do than Folding. In fact, you can actually see what are the WUs you get, and the interface seems a lot more intuitive (at least to me). Not to mention, you can have many more options as far as research goes.

But I have to admit, folding is easier to setup. Boinc requires you to pick a project you like and has support for your hardware, whereas folding is more like "you'll do this. PERIOD.", but it makes sure to work.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

But see if I build the folding rig I'm thinking about, it seems like I would have to get a beefy CPU because it seems BOINC uses CPU a lot more then GPU? I mean, I can get a 4790k if I need to but that's kinda spendy...

Just fold m8. CPU is still fine for folding. Every little bit helps. If every single person who had a low-power ultrabook would fold with it at night, projects would get done at lightning speed

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

But see if I build the folding rig I'm thinking about, it seems like I would have to get a beefy CPU because it seems BOINC uses CPU a lot more then GPU? I mean, I can get a 4790k if I need to but that's kinda spendy...

Uh.... no. Just like FAH, Boinc has projects that utilize GPU: add only to those, and you won't need a beefy CPU... kinda. For example, I have 2 GPU projects to occupy my Gtx 970. The first uses half a core; the second needs an entire core to itself (just like FAH). And I also have CPU projects, to feed the other 2 cores that are not being used by the GPU.

People generally say Boinc is CPU heavy not because it actually is, but because there are MANY more WUs on the CPU side than FAH does.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Personally i run f@h because im interested in protein research and feel it is more stable than the boinc equivalent

Firetruck will never die.

Well see that's just it. I like the idea of being able to research space and stuff like that, but it seems so complicated to get BOINC set up. I mean I guess If I did go BOINC is there a way to make it so that it doesn't really use CPU? Because in folding you can make it just use gpu

Well see that's just it. I like the idea of being able to research space and stuff like that, but it seems so complicated to get BOINC set up. I mean I guess If I did go BOINC is there a way to make it so that it doesn't really use CPU? Because in folding you can make it just use gpu

Go to your project of choice's website. Using Moo Wrapper! as an example,

http://i.imgur.com/Dwt3WAH.png

http://i.imgur.com/qn3z1Iw.png

If looking into BOINC make sure you check the project, some have no support for GPU's, some for CPU's, others are GPU brand specific. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If looking into BOINC make sure you check the project, some have no support for GPU's, some for CPU's, others are GPU brand specific. :)

Yeah, that's why I'm kinda leaning toward folding. Its so much easier to just fold and not worry about it. But at the same time I wanna do both. I think what I'll do is I'll get a better CPU to put in my folding rig and maybie do a bit of BOINC. Just enough to kinda get my feet wet and get the first badge or so. Then if I like it I can stick with it. If not then I'll just go back to folding

Yeah, that's why I'm kinda leaning toward folding. Its so much easier to just fold and not worry about it. But at the same time I wanna do both. I think what I'll do is I'll get a better CPU to put in my folding rig and maybie do a bit of BOINC. Just enough to kinda get my feet wet and get the first badge or so. Then if I like it I can stick with it. If not then I'll just go back to folding

The main barrier to entry when it comes to boinc, is to be arsed to spend

alittle bit time setting it up and wrapping your head around the client and

eco system in the first place. If you first have set it up there is no reason

to go back to folding because you can't be bothered with it, unless you

can't get it work that  is :P

Have a look at the sticky if you haven't already and see if that helps.  

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

Here you can see some projects and the platforms they support amd,

nvidia etc. https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

You can set certain work preferences and whatnot to your account

on the corresponding project aswell as locally in the boinc client.  

I'd say the main thing with boinc is to try and make sure the project 

you are planning to support is trustworthy and or well established, to

make sure your computing power is spent sensibly and meaningfully

on whatever cause it revolves around. I don't think you have much to

worry about with folding, but i guess it shouldn't be taken for granted.