Lets hate on Android and iOS gaming

Alir

Nvidia Shield, nuff said.

its a great idea but there isnt enough games for it

meh. I like to play them on the bus  while listening to a podcast. By "them" it's usually GTA. When I go back to school, I'm considering bringing a PS4 controller on the bus so I don't have to use touch screen controls.

its a great idea but there isnt enough games for it

But doesn't it have the whole of Google Play and that GRID thing on it, not to mention streaming?

But doesn't it have the whole of Google Play and that GRID thing on it, not to mention streaming?

The problem with that is i dont like paying just to play games in 1080p i prefure to buy it and its mine forever.

The google play store is full of games desined for android not the shield so it wont be so fun and finnaly i have a amd gpu.

Android games are designed and optimised for touchscreens not controllers, even when drunk devs think their customers will play with controllers.

Android games are designed and optimised for touchscreens not controllers, even when drunk devs think their customers will play with controllers.

There's still a lot of games that support it tho. A lot of FPSes will, GTA does, Gangstar presumably does

There's still a lot of games that support it tho. A lot of FPSes will, GTA does, Gangstar presumably does

I'm not paying over £400 for a fat non portable, portable handheld which supports a small handful of games which I mostly hate anyways.

GTA was fun as a kid, introducing it to handheld ruined the experience.

Also, it's been discontinued. On amazon, it's over 400 brand new, over 300 pre owned

It's a rip off. You'd be better off buying a 3ds, a Vita and a University degree with that money

I love mobile games, my iPhone has about 60gb of games on it, my iPad is packed with games, my nvidia shield is full of games, my Vita and 3DS... my PSP...etc etc etc etc etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am fine with mobile games and this thread is not needed, especially in the area dedicated to mobile gaming. 

Though I don't play mobile games myself as I haven't enjoyed the ones that I have played, there's a market for them and it's growing as more and more people pick up mobile smart devices. Pretty young market though, one that needs more time to mature. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

what

the 

fuck

lAS7OAd.png

ugh It's a freemium.

I'm just going to buy Need For Speed Underground 1 for my PC- its on amazon for like £3

To hate or love mobile gaming isn't the issue imho.
At least i don't hate it, but on the other hand i don't love it either.
It's basically a different ballpark, more casual and easy at hand.
Especially when you're completely bored and have nothing to do @ work. haha

Any game is supported on the shield as long as you are willing to assign the controls. Most of the time though, someone already has so its just a matter of choosing what controller mapping is right for you. 

Anyone who hates on the shield has not actually used one before or they are someone who expects to much from a mobile device. 

Any game is supported on the shield as long as you are willing to assign the controls. Most of the time though, someone already has so its just a matter of choosing what controller mapping is right for you. 

Anyone who hates on the shield has not actually used one before or they are someone who expects to much from a mobile device.

Agreed. I love the shield (I secretly want one)

Yeah the Shield portable is fantastic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Good luck on buying one. lol

They've been discontinued.

It's not that I expect too much from the shield.

These mobile devices have overkill hardware, bringing problems with battery life and excessive heat - something the shield tried to solve by making in chunky and unportable with the ventilation.

iPhones are actually better than android phones if only on the fact that the OS is better optimised and doesn't rely on overkill hardware and power to operate.

iPhones still though suffer from the same kind of problems with battery life and heat and also stability of the software ironically enough though I think that might just be down to the programmers of the apps and not apple.

These companies need to find a balance.

Trying to turn mobile devices into media centers has driven up prices and also leading them to use cheaper materials, also meaning that phones break or die easily.

They need to return to the type of contruction that was used in the Nokias.

Sorry if any of my sentences don't make sense.

I'm extremely tired.

Time to go to bed.

Credit where credit is due, the shield is a very useful and awesome bit of kit.

The issue for mobile gaming is that we seem to be stuck in an era of freemium crap that generates so much money for the devs that you can hardly blame them from trying to make money off of things that are much easier to create. Let's face it, these game we scoff at are pretty much mainstream for a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike those games as much as most of you do but we spend a small fortune on high end hardware, so we expect to play eye bleedingly gorgeous games whereas They have a mobile phone on contract which plays the games they have time for.

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

Nvidia Shield, nuff said.

Meanwhile playing half life 2 and Hearthstone on my shield ( or some grid games)

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

I never play mobile games unless I'm dead bored. What else am I supposed to do while sitting in line for 3 hours at the DMV?

I never play mobile games unless I'm dead bored. What else am I supposed to do while sitting in line for 3 hours at the DMV?

Read a book.

Play a 3ds.

Liberate an oil rich African or Arab country? I dunno

Hearthstone for iOS and Android /thread

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I played Ocarina of Time in chemestry class on my note 2 only with touch control. I stopped at the shadow temple. And right now, I am playing KOTOR on my shiled. Mobile gaming is not dead, it's becoming good with the more and more powerfull phone. I did not try the touch control for kotor but they seems pretty decent.

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

I played Ocarina of Time in chemestry class on my note 2 only with touch control. I stopped at the shadow temple. And right now, I am playing KOTOR on my shiled. Mobile gaming is not dead, it's becoming good with the more and more powerfull phone. I did not try the touch control for kotor but they seems pretty decent.

Problems: They're still relying on touch controls. At the very least phone companies should develop standards for the form factor of phones so you could start cross using flip controllers such as appeared on on the xperia play.

You just said the problem yourself.

Phones are getting more powerful. Better CPUs better GPUs. More heat, same batteries (batteries haven't developed proportionally to other hardware).

The OS' are very unoptimised also and are more often than not wasting resources and power.

The is also the greater problem that they're cramming it in very thin phones. More powerful hardware, more heat and less surface area to dissipate the heat. It ends up using up power you don't have and making the phone hot to touch.

Playing something like Ocarina of Time would be great. But then you realise that you're playing it on a phone with a very high ppi and resolution - the hardware is overkill.

Compare the hardware on mobiles like a Note 2 to the 3ds - which has better hardware. Which is better optimised and more enjoyable to play games on? The 3ds doesn't even heat up... slightly but it's barely noticeable.

Heyyo,

Mobile gaming is ok.. but I must say that I prefer gamepads to touch-controls.. mainly due to my deformed right thumb (got crushed in a metal press... the nail is still flat 8 years later lol so it makes tapping with it innacurate sometimes).

Moga gamepad is actually really damn good. Bluetooth works fine... look at the PS3 and PS4, they use bluetooth to connect and they also work damn good. Moga right meow is the only company that truly nails gamepads for phones. The only complaint I've ever seen? People wished it had adjustable tilt on the device cradle instead of only locking at one angle. That plus the newer Moga gamepads all have built in power banks to charge your device as you play which is fantesticle for gaming on the go which fixes one of your complaints right there. ;)

In the end too? It depends on how good the controls are on a game more than the game type... Final Fantasy III? Fantastic. Crimson Gem Saga? Controls SUCKED bigtime when I tried it on iOS... I don't think they made an Android version but if they did I bet it would have the same crappy control scheme.

Mobile gaming is getting more and more popular also thanks to better SoC's like the Snapdragon 801 and MediaTek also bringing great price to performance options and Intel's Atom for mobile devices too... it just keeps getting better and better. I also find on my OnePlus One the 5.5" screen is fantastic for gaming with that 1080P resolution. The only thing it needs is better cooling is all since it can get quite warm after a while especially when charging whilst 3D gaming. :P

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case