Not long ago, I got a PS3 to add to my small video game console collection, mainly because it was cheap and I wanted to play Gran Turismo. It's a model from I believe 2009, so it does not have any backwards compatibility with PS2 games. It's not a big deal, because our PS2 system is completely functional.

I'm curious about playing PS2 games on the backwards compatible PS3 systems. Would the output video quality of the PS2 games be higher quality, as long as it is used with an HDMI cable? Would PS2 games that support HD (Like Gran Turismo 4) play in HD?

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

you need a gen one or two ps3 anyway

quality should be similar 

The game wouldn't look better on the PS3 than a PS2, if that's what you're asking.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

you need a gen one or two ps3 anyway

quality should be similar 

Only the CECHExxx models (the very first ones) worked with PS2 games. Funny enough, it wasn't emulation, they literally put the PS2 hardware inside the original PS3. The OG PS3 was therefore a PS3 and a PS2.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Only the CECHExxx models (the very first ones) worked with PS2 games. Funny enough, it wasn't emulation, they literally put the PS2 hardware inside the original PS3. The OG PS3 was therefore a PS3 and a PS2.

That first gen is a total bastard, took mine apart last year to repaste it, it was in "rough shape"

EmupejG.jpg

BvtkWIW.jpgxe2XAWY.jpgrGs2YCd.jpg

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The game wouldn't look better on the PS3 than a PS2, if that's what you're asking.

It will be upscaled a bit, but tbh, if you have a half decent PC, you can play at 1080p anyways

It will be upscaled a bit, but tbh, if you have a half decent PC, you can play at 1080p anyways

Are you referring to using PCSX2? The PlayStation 2 emulator? I've tried using that on my laptop, the most powerful computer I have. Every game I try with it is completely unplayable, except for Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights. My laptop's little AMD A10 APU is most likely what's holding PCSX2's performance back.

Are you referring to using PCSX2? The PlayStation 2 emulator? I've tried using that on my laptop, the most powerful computer I have. Every game I try with it is completely unplayable, except for Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights. My laptop's little AMD A10 APU is most likely what's holding PCSX2's performance back.

Oh, it runs fine on my Pentium even when not overclocked

Not long ago, I got a PS3 to add to my small video game console collection, mainly because it was cheap and I wanted to play Gran Turismo. It's a model from I believe 2009, so it does not have any backwards compatibility with PS2 games. It's not a big deal, because our PS2 system is completely functional.

I'm curious about playing PS2 games on the backwards compatible PS3 systems. Would the output video quality of the PS2 games be higher quality, as long as it is used with an HDMI cable? Would PS2 games that support HD (Like Gran Turismo 4) play in HD?

AFAIK the PS3s that played PS2 games litereally had a PS2 inside

Just get a cheap PS2 :) its still a great console

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I still have mine. Plays ps1 and ps2 games. Quality is good.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

AFAIK the PS3s that played PS2 games litereally had a PS2 inside

Just get a cheap PS2 :) its still a great console

But I already mentioned in my first post that I already have a completely functional PS2, and I was just curious about the quality of PS2 games on backwards compatible PS3 systems.

Oh, it runs fine on my Pentium even when not overclocked

I'm assuming you're talking about the Pentium G line of processors? Those Pentiums are good for emulation, they have high instructions per cycle. 

But I already mentioned in my first post that I already have a completely functional PS2, and I was just curious about the quality of PS2 games on backwards compatible PS3 systems.

ah I didnt realise you had one

quality wise its identical

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the quality is 480i as that is the most ps2 outputs whit component cables some games have hd capability and that does look some what better but some of those games dont work on first gen ps3 but the hd capability is available on ps2 too so if you dont have ps2 whit component cables ps3 is better and if you dont have good tv ps3 does a fairly good job of upscaling

I have a backward compatible PS3. The graphics quality is the same as PS2.

I have a backward compatible PS3. The graphics quality is the same as PS2.

Is there a difference between using HDMI vs. Composite video, if the PS2 games support output through HDMI at all?

I usually find the PS3 plays games better than the PS2, same resolution but PS2 I found was more fuzzy. (Maybe HDMI fixing that actually)

But I enjoy the PS3 better for my PS2 games, also, you can get a PS2 memory card adapter for PS3.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Is there a difference between using HDMI vs. Composite video, if the PS2 games support output through HDMI at all?

I have no idea. I haven't used anything with composite cables in over a decade.

Educated guess: no difference in-game, but the XMB will look like arse with composite cables.

Yes, just like they put the PS1 hardware in the original PS2. The thing is you could play most PS1 games on the slim PS2 as well, because they somehow found a way to emulate it.

Sig under construction.

that was one thing I loved about the ps3, too bad by the time I got one the slim was way cheaper. At least my ps2 still works.

Playstation 2 games are sold on the Playstation Store as well as PSOne games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch